• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

How did the DRZ handle it? If you had the option to take a different bike what would it have been?

I did bend the end of the spring for a little more tension Made this bike so much better for me.
Thanks for the pics.

Moose pegs returned, Knight Designs ordered.

Edit: Got an email from Knight Designs: pegs are out of stock, are out being anodized and they offered a refund or I can wait. I called and said I'd wait. Projected to be in stock in 1-3 weeks...or so.

Got the Seat Concepts Saturday but not sure I'll have time this week to mess with it...maybe.
Some mods you do are just for you, to make things easier or better, but can't be seen by anyone else. This is one of those mods.
That's for sure. I'm working my way toward the price of the mods equals what I paid for the bike.

If it was just a bit lighter. Yesterday I loaded it up with a chainsaw, spare gas/oil, tools and my backpack with water, snacks, etc. and took it a couple of places I wouldn't normally volunteer to do. Made it with no drama but...

TrailTech: I have a 10yr old TT Endurance 2. It's on its second bike and just won't stop. Suggestion: that connector on the wire...I'd check it every so often. I never needed to take it apart, left it alone for a couple years, and cracked it trying to get it apart. I cable tied it and reefed it down and made a boot for it from an old inner tube. That was a couple years ago and it's still solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 3 thorns including an actual small hole in my 2-ply MT21 front tire. It was all too much for the Bridgestone HD tube and Quad Boss. HAHA

Anyone know how many ply the D606 and Tusk DSport tires are? So far only note I found for the 606 was on DennisKirk (3 ply). Weird that info is so tough to find.

Any reviews of the 606 or Tusk would be appreciated. Just logged in here so I'll search here. Been searching online for about 30 mins already.

Been riding at Zar's for 11 yrs and only 1 flat that very first year. And I sometimes I ride where there is no trail so this is unusual.

Edit: CycleGear in SA has the 606 in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 3 thorns including an actual small hole in my 2-ply MT21 front tire. It was all too much for the Bridgestone HD tube and Quad Boss. HAHA

Anyone know how many ply the D606 and Tusk DSport tires are? So far only note I found for the 606 was on DennisKirk (3 ply). Weird that info is so tough to find.

Any reviews of the 606 or Tusk would be appreciated. Just logged in here so I'll search here. Been searching online for about 30 mins already.

Been riding at Zar's for 11 yrs and only 1 flat that very first year. And I sometimes I ride where there is no trail so this is unusual.

Edit: CycleGear in SA has the 606 in stock.
Don if you like Zars, you should check out this ride at Spoaks just a little northeast of Lockhart.

Thanks but will have to wait for another time.

Super lame, but legit excuse: tomorrow I have my 6 month follow up for cataract surgery. Doc will put some whacked out super-dilate stuff in my eyes and they'll hurt...as in I don't want to look at anything...Saturday and maybe even into Sunday. This'll be the fourth time for this, so I know what's coming.

If you can avoid it, don't get old.

Thanks but will have to wait for another time.

Super lame, but legit excuse: tomorrow I have my 6 month follow up for cataract surgery. Doc will put some whacked out super-dilate stuff in my eyes and they'll hurt...as in I don't want to look at anything...Saturday and maybe even into Sunday. This'll be the fourth time for this, so I know what's coming.

If you can avoid it, don't get old.
Too late…

For you DR/DRZ guys, a friend back home in CO just called and said his 2018 DR is starting to smoke a puff or two on startup for a little bit at only 81,000 miles, all of which are offroad. It just doesn't seem right that you easily break 100K trouble free miles with a good basic dirtbike! Same guy has about 70K on his DRZ, and I think he just put new rings in it. And of course 240K on his 2005 BMW GS, completely stock drivetrain.

Friend of mine has 100K+ miles...IIRC it's 131K...on a VStrom 650.

And I've watched him ride his DRZ for 10 yrs...off road, throws the plate on it and rides on road, etc. No speedometer though so he has no idea of the miles.

---------------------

I can't make up my mind to try another MT21 or try that 606.

I alternated mt21 and d606 for 1200 mile runs in utah each may for 10 years. On a xr650r built as a race bike. It wore them flat every year even limping along and sightseeing. If anything, it seemed the 606 sidewalls were stiffer. What that meant to me i could not say.

At least from the very few places that said anything, the 21s are 2-ply on the tread and sidewall, the 606s are 3-ply.

`What glue to use to glue side cover protectors on the DRZ400. I used construction adhesive, and I just lost my second cover. That might not be bad in 12 years of riding DRZs, but I was wondering if anyone else had better luck with something else.

Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone seems to be the thing to use. I think that was what I used to put a Thumpertalk (Didn't realize how far down that place had become) case saver on the DRZ that went back to Doug. He cussed me for whatever I used to put it on because it was a pain to get it off.

Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone seems to be the thing to use. I think that was what I used to put a Thumpertalk (Didn't realize how far down that place had become) case saver on the DRZ that went back to Doug. He cussed me for whatever I used to put it on because it was a pain to get it off.
I couldn't get it off, so I left it on.

Ford f350, thanks for the info about the KnightDesign pegs. I knew about them and had a link saved, but you’re the first person I’ve spoken with that has them.

After speaking with him on 24 Jan and him saying it might be a few weeks, they showed up Friday 3 Feb first thing in the morning. I went camping plus was waiting for it to warm up…so just finished installing them.

They look very well made, I removed 2 of the 8 tread bolts and they had Loctite on them, I loosened the others and they also had Loctite or they were cross threaded…which I highly doubt.

They’re about 1 ¼” lower than the OEM and IMS I had on there.

If I had to pick at something it’d be those 8 tread bolts need a 7/32 Allen instead of metric and I’m going to find a better solution for the spring. In my pic you can see it sticking up and I need to fix that before I ride, although it does seem to work fine. The OEM spring works but the hook end is all wrong. Have Dremel, drilling hammer and vice…I’ll figure it out.

Are using the spring KnightDesign sent? Was looking at your pic and I can't tell.

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 83
Yes ,I am using the spring they supplied. I marked the spring then took them back off and bent the end down toward the peg. Made it a little stiffer and won’t chew up boot. If you zoom in on pics in post 2767 you can see them.

Thanks. Being bent made me wonder if they were different springs. I found some supposed instructions from KD that said to have that one leg up against the side of the frame...like in my pic. I just figured I'd do it like the instructions and go from there. I definitely will use that hole in the frame for the leg.

I have the Knight Designs on my DRZ and love them. Quality piece.
Thanks for the tip. Those pegs work excellent for me.

Edit: Forgot: I took the OEM Suzuki springs, heated, bent and cut them. They work perfect so far.

Is there anyone in the Bryan/College Station area that knows DRZs? I've had an issue with stumbling under load for a while and the local shop says it's normal for a thumper. I'm not sure if it's jetting or what. Would prefer someone that's got some seat time to give me an opinion.

Sounds like a jetting issue. I managed to sort out the jetting on my DRZ but that stuff is black magic and I think I just got lucky. I'll let someone who knows what they are talking about with jetting chime in.

Back