• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The More or Less Official Motorcycle Commuting Thread

leekellerking

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
King
I know there have been discussions of 2 wheel commuting before, but no ongoing "official" commuting thread. So, here it is!

Issues to be discussed are, inter alia,* the following:

Who else commutes on 2 wheels?
How often and how far?
What tips and tricks do you have for noobs (like me)?

I ride about 8 miles from New Territory to an office near Dairy Ashford and Hwy 90a. I commute every day I can (that is, if I don't have court or a deposition). Sometimes I wish I lived further from work. :trust:

Now go to it! :rider:

Lee
(*Inter alia is fancy, schmancy legal talk for "among other things")

60 miles round trip, sometimes mulitple times per day, to UNT from Fort Worth. Year round, except in ice and...well, ice. I won't commute in a cage on ice since I can't afford to replace the car, bike, or my own ***. Snow, rain, hot, cold, whatever bike is on the road.

Tip: Own decent gear and check Weather Underground daily. Other than that, make yourself as visible as possible, bring along whatever you need to facilitate carrying cargo in case you need to pick something up while your out, bring along a tire plug kit, and have fun.

60 miles round trip, sometimes mulitple times per day, to UNT from Fort Worth. Year round, except in ice and...well, ice. I won't commute in a cage on ice since I can't afford to replace the car, bike, or my own ***. Snow, rain, hot, cold, whatever bike is on the road.

Tip: Own decent gear and check Weather Underground daily. Other than that, make yourself as visible as possible, bring along whatever you need to facilitate carrying cargo in case you need to pick something up while your out, bring along a tire plug kit, and have fun.

Also, make sure you check the hour-by-hour forecast on Weather Underground when the weather is changeable. (Like, uh, now)

It was in the mid-70s when I rode to work yesterday, so I left the liner to my mesh jacket at home. The commute home was 60 degrees. Not freezing, but not comfortable, either. Doh. :doh:

I also check the radar maps on my desktop display from www.weather.com. I can sometimes (like yesterday) schedule my ride between lines of storms.

Lee

Make a commitment to leave the job in the parking lot. Sometimes I have to take an extra minute or two to get my "ride" mind plugged in.

Remember you'll be really, really late if you get hit on your way to work. Don't let the clock push you into non-defensive riding.

Since commuting often involves dusk/dawn riding, remember your shadow points at people that will have a hard time seeing you in the glare.

Commuting is the most dangerous time to ride, IMHO. People are texting, calling, putting on makeup, eating burritos, changing, etc. Don't expect them to make you a priority.

still ... a short commute on a bike is still more fun than a cage commute.

I ride to work (less than 5 miles) virtually every day - unless it's raining when I leave the house. It ain't worth suiting up for such a short ride. I check Accuweather and dodge storms (when feasible) on my way home. I take a longer route so I can lean far over and scrape hardware on entrance and exit ramps to and from highway 249.

This morning was chilly with wet roads. Beats the 25 mile commute in and around north Dallas that I made for years.

35W slab from Crowley to Fort Worth (26 miles each way) 3-4 days a week (Depending on my sons Hockey practice). 5 days in the off season

No ice and I no longer leave the house on two wheels in the rain. I dont mind getting caught in it but I dont do it intentionally.

+1 on good gear. Stay comfortable, stay hydrated, watch out they are trying to kill you.

HAVE FUN. Thats what its all about right?

I have a short 8 mile trip in. I take the truck about once every two weeks. Even with large bags, there are always going to be errands you can't run on the bike (such as picking up lumber last week).
Ditto on the no ice. Rain, however, I stick with the bike - I can park right next to my building vs. having to walk 1/4 mile with the truck (A&M campus) which makes putting in the liners worth it.

I keep my liners in the bags so that I don't have to pay close attention to the weather. Versitile gear helps a lot.

I put a big windshield on a few weeks ago - the naked bike is great for ventilation, but cutting the wind from the torso makes a huge difference in the cold.

Bikes are my only transportation at the moment, but hey, you'll not hear me complain.:trust:

Wet with a few flecks of ice falling on the way in, way to lunch and back to work with temps hovering around 36.

So, who else rode in this slop today?

My suggestion will probably go against most people better judgement (and mine actually, but that doesn't stop me). Find places on your route that you can do what you enjoy most on a bike. If you like curves, plan your route to hit as many as you feasibly can without making your commute an all day trek. If you like to go fast, figure out where the spots are that you can kick the ponies in the rear without being a danger to yourself or others. There are a couple of areas on my commute that I can (and do) "nudge" past the speed limit for a few moments.

Why is this my suggestion? Because, riding is supposed to be fun. Commuting pretty much is not. If you can sprinkle a little bit of what you find enjoyable into your daily ride, then you won't get burned out on it being your DAILY ride.

Another suggestion that I have but haven't been very good at taking myself is to ride other times than just your commuting times. This goes back to the point of this being fun. If all the riding you do is to/from work/school/whatever, it'll get boring after a while. Gotta break the monotony or, again, it just begins to be your DAILY ride.

Fun is my take on it. Most days I ride different routes that makes it about 10 miles one way. On days like today, I take the shortest which is about 5 miles one way.

Daily, short 10 mile round trip.
I commute mostly for the fun of it and better parking both here on-site and at the off-site buildings.

Tip: Be prepared for weather changes. A decent rainsuit and overboots are adequate for a short trip. No need for overkill, you're not going cross-country with it. The rain jacket can also help if the temps drop and you didn't have your liner or an extra sweater.

And a place to store them. Hard luggage is sooooo much more useful than soft luggage for a commuter. Lockable, waterproof, spacious. A top case can hold your lunch and briefcase and then your helmet at your destination.

You'll possibly end up keeping all kinds of straps and bungees too.
Remember your pillion seat is rated to 200+ pounds. Way more than any accessory luggage rack. It can hold all kinds of crazy things. Over time, you will figure out a good system of bungees and straps.

Throw a microfiber towel in there too. It mops up water off the saddle (so you don't have to sit on it) and cleans the windshield, mirrors and visor.

Speaking of visors, if you use a tinted visor, keep a clear one with you in case you work late and have to ride home in the dark.

Be safe.:rider:

I commute 42 miles one way when I can. Generally, once or twice a week. From Forney thru Dallas to North Irving. General rule is "Drive like half the people don't see you and the other half that do see you are out to run you down." '08 Goldwing.

I ride anyday there isn't any kind of winter precipitation...but then I don't drive a cage in that either. I can drive on snow quite well, but other people can't. Have seen people slide off the road while sitting still at a red light! :eek2: And ice...well...NO ONE can drive on ice! (At least that's my philosophy!)

I commute 35+ miles each way, from east Texas into northwest Louisiana every day, rain or shile, warm or cold...and LOVE it! :rider: Takes about 40-45 minutes. I have 3-4 different routes I take, depending on the weather, time, season, and my mood. All include 'Farm-to-Market (FM) roads. Some include true back roads and/or Interstates. As mentioned before, I check the weather sites and prepare for whatever they say might happen. I am also lucky enough to have covered parking at my work. I also kiss my wife bye each and every morning, and call her before I leave work each day so she won't worry...or if something should happen...God forbid...she knows when to expect me and when to call to send out the hounds to look for me.

Just about 5 miles one way for me. I keep a pair of cortech soft saddle bags on the bike that always has rain gear, rain covers, and a clear visor in one side. The other side carries my laptop and lunch. I keep the straps over the rear seat and quick connect to straps on the pegs. So I just unstrap them and carry them in with me like a big briefcase.

Think I'd rather have a top box like others have mentioned though. $$$

I ride the 40-40 rule. Less than 40% chance of rain and more than 40 degrees...

I didn't ride the motorcycle this summer because it was 45 minutes to go 5 miles, and I didn't feel like waiting until 6:30 to leave work every night....but now the Nasa bypass is operational, its not an issue.

Gear wise..mesh in the summer, perforated leather with a liner for whenever it's not too hot for that. A pair of triumph boots for the feet. Helmet and gloves. Sometimes I wear various pairs of motorcycle jeans. I've got an ebay watch on an aerostich suit though.

I ride 32 miles each way. Love getting to use the HOV lane. Much calmer ride than on the main lanes of the freeway. I ride 99% of the time. Today was that 1%. 36 degrees and raining were combinations I chose to pass on. There were 3 die hards here at the office who rode anyways.
As far as what I carry on the bike... I have a 7.7 gal fuel tank, so I carry a hose to be able to give some gas to another rider if they find themselves on the side of the road on empty. (I have actually given gas to a van once out in the middle of nowhere) I have a tire plug kit with an airpump (have had to use this far too many times). I carry rain liners in case it rains/gets cool. I have small rope and bungies in case need to tie something down. The pans on the ST1300 are pretty spacious so I don't have to tie to the seat/rack very often.
Yes the commute thing can get boring, but being able to ride is more fun then driving the truck anyday, well except for today.

120 mile round trip commute. I'll ride when it's nice and I know I don't have to be in the field with equipment. It's from 12 miles north of Waller to the Galleria area. All slab on 290, but I can pick up the HOV at Hwy 6.

I always have my case with me that has a rain suit, liner and extra gloves just in case.

I'm commuting about 10 miles each way from Mesquite to Downtown Dallas. I've gotten more rules about my riding as I've gotten older. I got rid of my car once before and like said above, discovered the fun factor. I was using my bike as a tool and not for fun. It got to the point that I didn't even ride it on the weekends for fun because I just didn't want to get out on the bike. I got rid of the street bike for a track bike for a few years, but couldn't scratch the itch often enough. Now I'm back on the street and my main rule is that I ride when I want to. I have nothing to prove, don't need to be a hardcore rider, I ride because I love it.

So, aside from riding when I want to, I pretty much have always had the rule that precipitation + below freezing temps = me not riding. This morning was one of those times. The roads ended up fine but you never know in Dallas where that little patch of ice will turn up.

Right now I'm in need of a new rainsuit. This brings into effect the raining in the morning rule. If it's raining then I drive to work as I don't want to get there soggy. I don't mind riding home in the rain because I can change clothes when I get there, but I won't ride in to work.

Good tips so far, I'm checking out weather underground. I've been using weather.com's hour by hour thing for a while now. Also, the shadow pointing tip is a good one to remember.

...Now I'm back on the street and my main rule is that I ride when I want to. I have nothing to prove, don't need to be a hardcore rider, I ride because I love it.

The best philosphy! Do it 'cause you want to, not to "impress" someone else!
Good tips so far, I'm checking out weather underground. I've been using weather.com's hour by hour thing for a while now. Also, the shadow pointing tip is a good one to remember.

There are three weather sites I check out:
www.intellicast.com (Great radar)
www.weatherunderground.com
www.accuweather.com

If you're really into satellite/radar info, go to:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/PCPN/pcpn-na.html

If you want to keep up on tropical storms/hurricanes movement:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/wolfy/

Just a few extra 'tools' for those who might not have them.

Ride safe, and remember...

...Now I'm back on the street and my main rule is that I ride when I want to. I have nothing to prove, don't need to be a hardcore rider, I ride because I love it.

Thanks, rereading my quote made me go back and remove a "because." Took me some years to figure that little tidbit out though, and I'm much happier now because of it.

It's also good to not ride when you just don't feel into it. If your head isn't into it, take the cage. You need your wits about you when you commute by motorcycle.

I 2-wheel commute quite a bit, about 35mi round-trip. I'll cage it if I need to shuffle something more than laptop to/from work or if there's any type of precipitation expected.

I also keep an eye on Weather Underground and watch the weather report on the evening news.

A good set of gear is mandatory. Perforated jacket/pants for summer, good jacket/pants/gloves for 40-90F range, and electric jacket liner and gloves for anything below 40F.

edit: I caged it today just because I wussed out. ;)

Commute: 45 mile one way, three times a week, Conroe - Bellaire.

Weather: If it rains in buckets, i take the car. If it rains AND it is REALLY cold (like this morning), i take the car. :giveup: Aside from that, you will find me and the trusty GS on the road :rider:

Preplanning: I keep all the respective warm/cold weather gear in the saddle bag on the bike. Cold weather: long johns, sweater, Olympia Airglide gear, BMW ProRain Suit, boot covers, thinsulate gloves with ski gloves.

I simply arrive at work much happier when i ride the bike :sun: I love my job, but there are still days were frustration can be overwhelming.

24 miles each way. Mostly back roads, 4 miles of interstate, I leave the house at 5:00am and cagers are still in the way:trust: . I normally ride to work every day. All the days I ride to work are usually good days the days I drive my truck are normally bad days. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

The weather is very unpredictable here changes from good to scattered thunder showers, wind, hail, fog at the drop of a hat. I always have the trusty tank bag full of rain gear and such with me and a bungee net for any items ("frosty cold adult beverages":sun: ) I might need at the store.

Commute 50 miles each way, League City to near Katy. All freeway :yawn: .

My key survival tips:
  • Buy the best, most versatile gear you can afford
  • Get some good, waterproof bags or cases
  • Grow some thick skin for the bonehead driving habbits of others
  • Leave work problems at work and home problems at home

Commute 2 to 4 times a week. 23 miles each way.
Raining, I take the truck. (I'm in a police uniform under my jacket and pants with my gear on the tail in a bag)

Have fun

started riding to work this september but only ride once or twice a week. wet, windy, cold is out. am slowly acquiring cold weather gear. 64 miles to and from. some highway, mostly farm to market. i take the scenic, fun road instead of the faster highway. having to learn to unlearn thinking about work before i get there.
i leave a pair of shoes and a sweater at work. just switch when i get there.

Back