• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

There comes a time...

We're home. Got in yesterday afternoon after driving through the night from Farmington back to Huntsville. The welcome back humidity was a nasty slap in the face :doh: I have to take care of some work related stuff and reintegrate myself into being home. Then I should start getting the rest of the days done. I don't actually go back to work until Nov 1.

Glad you made it back home. The memories made are the best part and you and you children will enjoy them for years to come. Good job there Dad!

Day thirty five (thirty six), taking a break in Ten Sleep

Sunday, September 17th.

Day thirty five pics. We were beat from yesterday’s ride and all of us slept in late. Jody had a really nice breakfast for us! I eventually got around to pulling my valve cover off and found that it was actually cracked 😕 I used Justin Smith’s Dremel to grind a V shape in both the inside and outside of all the cracked spots and then filled them in with two part epoxy JB weld. This would have to cure over night, so we were not leaving Ten Sleep today. We decided to just call it another rest day. Justin took Daniel out for a ride on some local two track “roads” and some single track trails. Justin was on his Husky 501 and Daniel was on a Husky 350. Sarah and I did laundry, visited with Jody and Siri, hung out down by the brewery to people watch, and enjoy some cold soft drinks. Daniel and Justin eventually returned and were both high fiving and giggling like little girls, so the ride must have been good. To cool off they did some rope swing jumping into the pond in front of Justin’s house. Afterwards they left to go do some trail clearing and maintenance with a friend of Justin’s. They were gone for over five hours and were beat when they got back. We all had dinner at The Sleepy Coyote in town and then headed back to the house. The plan now is to get the head cover back on my bike in the morning so we can get back on the road. We hung out in the camper and jammed a while before knocking off for the night. We were all still quite tired.

Sweet morning view!
IMG_8616.JPG

The Husky 350, Daniel's ride for the afternoon
IMG_8626.JPG

Justin's Husky 501
IMG_8627.JPG

Ready to RIP!
IMG_8628.JPG

We could hear them brapping even when they were all the way on the other side of town! :lol2:
IMG_8629.JPG

The steep and narrow path from the house down to the camper
IMG_8630.JPG

Moved all the bikes over so I could get my GS around them and into the garage so I could get to work on the oil leak issue
IMG_8631.JPG

Back from their ride and it is time to cool off!
IMG_8632.JPG

IMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8636.JPG

With a nice bright shop light I was finally able to see the problem... a crack!! :doh:
IMG_8638.JPG

You can see the dent where the guard pressed against the cover and over stressed it. The crack is in the lower left corner of the recessed area below my thumb.
IMG_8639.JPG

The inside view
IMG_8640.JPG

Note the rib with the crack all the way through it
IMG_8641.JPG

At least I had a nice place to work!
IMG_8643.JPG

Time to bust out the Dremel and JB epoxy and get this crack sealed!
IMG_8644.JPG

I was trying to get it so that I could see through the crack. When actually welding, having a gap between the parts allows for what is called a full penetration weld. This is basically what I was going for. The idea being that the JB weld could ooze through the crack and each side could bond together and not be 100% dependent on bonding to the metal of the valve cover.
IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8646.JPG

IMG_8647.JPG

I got close, but could not be real precise as the Dremel had a wobble to it and I did not want to remove too much metal trying to go to deep.
IMG_8648.JPG

A liberal application should do the trick!
IMG_8649.JPG

The exterior corner was more of a challenge because I did not want excess JB weld sticking out past the original surface, so I cleaned it up a bit after it started to cure slightly.
IMG_8650.JPG

The cover had to cure over night so I put it in a safe place and let it sit. Then we got on the laundry issue and eventually Sarah and I wandered down to the brewery for a while. Daniel had already left with Justin to go do some trail maintenance.

The brewery
IMG_8651.JPG

This guy rode up while we were there so I had to visit with him for a while. I must have shaken his hand because I can't remember his name :doh: This was his third 790/890 and he really liked them! I think he said he was from Michigan? If you are out there dude, speak up and refresh my ailing memory please!
IMG_8652.JPG

Yosh (left) and his buddy, Joe, were fishing in the front yard while Magnus (the new pup) supervised. Clyde was trying to decide if he wanted to do some paddle boarding...
IMG_8653.JPG

This rock...? It was a gift for Justin's Mom. It does not appear to have been cut, but I cannot fathom how it got the pattern it has :scratch: :shrug:
IMG_8654.JPG

A poor cell phone zoom image of the valley out the front door of the house.
IMG_8655.JPG

Our humble abode, which was really sweet! The kids loved it. The loose rocks on the trail could be tricky :wary:
IMG_8656.JPG

Yosh and Joe eventually moved down to the river under the bridge at the highway to do some more fishing. We were hanging out with Jody when she got a text from Yosh. Joe had just landed a huge catfish and wanted her and Justin to see it!

A42B52CD-229B-4EAC-9A55-0D4EA7C4FC18.jpeg

Justin and Daniel eventually returned, both looking pretty worn out. They'd been gone for at least five hours and Justin said they worked Daniel pretty hard. He said he had a blast doing it. It was time for dinner though so we all gathered up and headed into town to the Sleepy Coyote and had a great dinner. We called it a day not long after. Tomorrow I will get the repaired valve cover on and test to see if it holds so we can get back on the road…

Last edited:
Day thirty six (thirty seven), another day in Ten Sleep?

Monday, September 18th.

We got up late, even Daniel. It was after 10am when we finally got moving. I still had to get the repaired valve cover back on my bike. So I got on that pretty quick. Even though it wasn’t leaking at the cracks I JB welded, it still leaked at the bottom of the cover gasket!? :doh: I eventually figured out how to get a bit more compression on the gasket. Justin helped and we made a custom washer to fit under the rear cover bolt. I fired up the bike again and didn’t see any leaks! By now it was late, pushing noon, so I decided to stay in Ten Sleep another day. The kids REALLY liked that plan! They had stuff they wanted to send home to free up space on their bikes, so we ran US 16 over the mountains to Buffalo to find the nearest UPS shipping center.

Heading East into Ten Sleep Canyon, Daniel and I decided to run the Old US 16 while Sarah would continue on the new US 16. The old road was a single lane gravel road along the edge of the canyon. There were a few tight switch backs right at the start, but once through those it was a fun flowing road. We could see the highway on the other side of the canyon. I had shown Sarah on the GPS where to stop to wait for us. As we descended the mountain back to the paved highway we spotted her sitting in a small parking area on the side of the highway. She had only been there a minute or two. The rest of the run up and over the mountains on US 16 was really nice. It got quite windy and much colder the closer we got to the summit. I think the summit was just under 10K feet.

Buffalo was a nice town. It had a lot of cool old homes from the late 1800s and early 1900s that had been restored. We wandered around a few residential streets before getting on a main road and finding a nice big gas station. We went ahead and topped off then went inside to see about something to eat. They had some ham and cheese sandwiches that were actually quite good, especially if they were heated in the microwave. I checked my valve cover gasket and it looked like the leak had been fixed. There was no new oil or any wet spots that I could find. Still, I wanted to get some high temp gasket sealant for my bike, just in case the fix didn't hold. The UPS shipping center was actually in a local ACE Hardware, just up the street a block or so. I figured I could find some there while the kids took care of their business. Daniel and Sarah got their stuff shipped. I found some sealant. Then we headed back to Ten Sleep.

Daniel and I decided we wanted to ride the paved highway all the way back just so we could see what it was like. Sarah said it was a lot of fun. It was. The views of the canyon were very cool. The road had a series of slow switchbacks that dropped us down the side of the mountain. I stopped to take pictures as always and the kids got out ahead of me. I did eventually catch up to them but almost immediately spotted a guy with a GS on a trailer in a pull out and I had to stop and talk to him. So they just kept going and ran on into town, which was only a few more miles up the road. His name was Bill Roberts and he was from San Antonio! He was trying to get pics of bighorn sheep up on the mountain ridge, but didn't seem to be having much luck. We visited for 10-15 minutes and I finally got back on the road.

When I rolled back up to the house Justin was talking about wanting to take me out for a spin on the dirt bikes, but he had to watch their new pup, Magnus, to make sure he didn’t chew the house apart. He was all teeth! He suggested that Daniel take me out and show me the same stuff they rode yesterday. He made sure Daniel remembered where to go and then we headed out across the pasture, Daniel on the 350 and me on the 501. Daniel led the way and I followed him as best as I could. He’s already WAY faster than me on dirt bikes! The trails were fun and challenging, at least for me. We saw a fantastic sunset. Then we dodged deer and ran the trail backwards. Near the house we did some fun hill climbs and then headed to the garage so we could clean up and go get dinner with Justin Smith’s family. It was another awesome day. With my bike fixed, the plan was to finally leave and continue South in the morning.

Daniel pulling parts off after we realize the leak is coming out of the gasket and not the cracked spot
IMG_8658.JPG

The washer trick solved the problem apparently. It was already late in the day so we decided to stay another day and do a short ride to Buffalo and back to make sure my bike is good to go.

Cool sign at the local gas station
IMG_8661.JPG

Old Hwy 16 through the mountains, really cool!
IMG_8662.JPG

IMG_8663.JPG

Just have to make sure it is closed after we go through
IMG_8664.JPG

Looking back to the West
IMG_8665.JPG

Cold and windy at the summit on US 16
IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

IMG_8670.JPG

IMG_8671.JPG

IMG_8672.JPG

The dog is not sure what is so funny...
IMG_8673.JPG

No oil! :thumb:
IMG_8674.JPG

Heading West back toward Ten Sleep
IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8677.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

The old highway is running left right across the middle of the image
IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8684.JPG

The view looking West from the top of the switchbacks on the paved Hwy 16
IMG_8685.JPG

The Old Hwy 16 across the valley from the new Hwy 16
IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG

IMG_8692.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

IMG_8695.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

I just could not get an exposure for the last 5-6 pictures that I really liked with the phone.

IMG_8697.JPG

Bill Roberts from San Antonia
IMG_8698.JPG

IMG_8699.JPG

IMG_8700.JPG

IMG_8701.JPG

Me rolling up the driveway after I finally get back to the house

I hopped on Justin's Husky 501 and followed Daniel to the trails he and Justin had ridden yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was challenging to be sure and Daniel was going WAY faster than I was willing to go! I just followed the dust cloud.

A nice section
IMG_8703.JPG

A not so nice section. It is WAY steeper than it looks going down and up the other side. So Daniel led the way!
IMG_8704.JPG

Daniel's video of me getting to the top

Near the top, I was trying to get pics of the deer. You can barely see their rear ends on the far right (the two white spots). They moved over onto the trail right after this.
IMG_8706.JPG

We ran to the top where the radio towers and cell towers are located. No doubt a few brain cells and sperm were deformed being that close to the towers... :shock: I've had my kids and killed way more brain cells via other methods, so it was worth it for the view :-P
IMG_8707.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_8709.JPG

IMG_8710.JPG

IMG_8711.JPG

We zipped back along the way we had come, with me in the lead and running a little faster now that I was familiar with the trail and the bike. Daniel got back out front when we made it to the highway and led me to the next play zone...
IMG_8712.JPG

Daniel points his bike at a hill and takes off! At the top he tells me it is my turn, so I take off. As I get rolling he casually mentions that there isn't much room to stop at the top so I shouldn't overshoot!! WHAT!!?? :lol2:

We both do it several times and switch bikes because he wants to try the 501

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_8715.JPG

IMG_8718.JPG

It was getting late so we headed back to the house and met up with Justin's family so we could take them out to dinner. We went to the Sleepy Coyote again and it was great, again. We sat outside in the porch area to eat. This was on the wall of the next door building.
IMG_8719.JPG

It was a great day of riding. My bike appeared to be fixed. Tomorrow it would be time for us to finally leave and head South. Daniel is ready to be adopted by Justin and to move up here. Jody says he should visit in February before making that kind of decision! :lol2: Tomorrow we actually have to get up at a decent time and get rolling, so we head to bed not long after dinner.

Last edited:
Day thirty seven (thirty eight), we finally leave Ten Sleep, reluctantly...

Tuesday, September 19th.

We finally left Ten Sleep, WY., around 10:30am after saying our goodbyes to Jody and Justin Smith. It had been a really nice break, but it was time to get moving again. We ran South out of town on WY 434, a fun paved road. This eventually became CR 82 and turned to gravel and dirt. It was nice and smooth with big fast sweepers running through beautiful scenery. There were huge red sandstone formations along the road. We eventually cut through Mahogany Butte to the SW. The actual cut through the butte was an active rock fall area with signs warning people not to stop along the road! As we came out the other side the hills changed from red sandstone to rolling hills and the road became a nice hard packed gravel surface. However, there were gravel hauling trucks on the road and they were adding gravel to different sections of the road. They did a nice job of spreading it evenly and packing it tight, so it was not a problem to ride through any of it. This eventually became CR-117 and continued South. Daniel was running out front and I was bringing up the rear. Everyone was enjoying this road. Sarah and I eventually caught up to Daniel to find him visiting with another rider that was heading North, Brian Schwartz from Michigan. He was on his new Aprilia Taureg 660, not even broken in yet. He was running the Wyoming BDR. After a nice visit we continued our separate ways. We had also just seen the warning signs telling people to vacate the area if the lights are flashing and the siren is sounding because there is poisonous gas in the area! At Lost Cabin we hit pavement and headed South to US 20 and ran that into Shoshoni, WY.

I had hoped to eat at a local malt-n-burger we'd stopped at years ago, but it was no longer in business. So we ate at a local gas station that had a grill. It was mediocre, but better than nothing. After eating we continued West on US 20 to Riverton, WY. It was getting pretty hot now. We stopped to get gas and drinks. Sarah wanted to get something from the local Wal-Mart, so we headed there. We tried buying some camp food, but their selection was terrible. So we headed across the street to some kind of outdoor sports store. They had a better selection. Also, Sarah bought a warmer base layer of pants because she's been getting cold. Daniel bought some super glue to see if he could keep the soles from falling off his boots. At this point I had been looking at the route and decided to skip going down to Atlantic City to camp and instead head NW on US 26, hopefully to the Falls Campground where I'd stayed in 2017. Ideally, it would be cooler than camping in Atlantic City. We'd also shave a day off a route that Sarah would likely not enjoy because of the amount and type of dirt riding it would involve. The kids liked this idea. The downside was that much of US 26 was flat, boring, and exceptionally windy!

We stopped along the way in Crowheart I think? This was basically a gas station/general store. I was really zoning out on the bike and just needed a stop. It turned out that we all needed to stop for the same reason. After some snacks and drinks we continued heading NW and I could see some nasty weather building in the mountains. The wind picked up and the temp really started dropping. We eventually started getting into the mountains and the road started following the Big Wind River. The scenery was very cool. The mountains were unlike any I've ever seen anywhere else. Sarah was getting tired of being on the bikes and wanted to know how much further it would be. As I stopped to take some pics I told her to stop at the next town, Dubois. I eventually stopped taking pics and decided to catch up to her. Along the way I passed what looked like a really cool military museum that had tons of vehicles outside, including a Mig jet of some kind. The wind continued getting worse and it was still getting colder. I found Sarah waiting on the side of the road just outside of town and asked her what she thought of just getting a hotel here for the night. She instantly agreed. Daniel caught up to us and we headed into town.

We quickly found a nice hotel. I was barely off my bike when two guys standing next to their truck enjoying cold beers offered me a cold beer! We got unpacked and then started thinking about dinner. We had passed several places within short walking distance of the hotel. However, once we started walking up the street it soon became obvious that everything was closed!! This had been a recurring issue and was getting really annoying. We looped back around, hoping to get some BBQ at a place that was across the street from the hotel, but they were out. We ran into the beer guys again and they mentioned a few places further down the street. By now, it was pushing 7:30pm and we were worried that everything would be closing. We made it to a restaurant down the street, but they were no longer seating anyone and were turning away a LOT of people that were wanting dinner! As we walked out, another lady overheard us talking and mentioned a place even further down the street, but we were running out of time to walk there. She told her husband to just give us a ride and come back to get their family. They were locals. He ran us down to Nana's Bakery, a combination bowling alley, game room, pizzeria, and bakery. They were trying to close as well but agreed to make us a pizza. There were other people there like us, just trying to get a meal. Apparently, this was the last place in town to be open and they closed at 8:00pm. It was about 7:55pm when we walked in. The sodas were FLAT and the pizza was insanely greasy. The crust was just soggy from the grease. We all ate a piece or two and then left. The walk back was cold and wet because it had started raining. Once we got back to the hotel, it really started raining good. I was glad we were not camping higher up in the mountains. The plan for tomorrow is to visit the military museum for an hour or so in the morning, then run up to the campground so the kids can see the cool waterfall, and finally make our way over to the Tetons and cross the mountains to stay in Driggs, ID. We'd also decided to just get another hotel there, so I made reservations at the local Super 8. After hot showers, it was off to bed.

Sarah, Me, Justin, Magnus, and Daniel
IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_8722.JPG

Our gracious hosts, Jody and Justin Smith (not pictured are Yosh and Siri :doh: )
IMG_8723.JPG

Sarah making dust while I hang back to take pics
IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

Miles and miles of this... :zen:
IMG_8727.JPG

I am always AMAZED at where they can grow hay!
IMG_8728.JPG

IMG_8730.JPG

IMG_8731.JPG

Mahogany Butte - Justin's family owned property right here, but I don't know which buildings were theirs :shrug:
IMG_8732.JPG

Imagine the forces required to buckle that much material that drastically... :ponder:
IMG_8733.JPG

Just on the other side of the butte and the scenery changes immediately
IMG_8734.JPG

Looking back to the North into the gap in the wall
IMG_8735.JPG

IMG_8736.JPG

IMG_8737.JPG

IMG_8738.JPG

IMG_8739.JPG

IMG_8740.JPG

IMG_8741.JPG

Sarah just cruising along doing her thing and enjoying this road
IMG_8742.JPG

Daniel sets off after her
IMG_8743.JPG

An intriguing side road... no time though...
IMG_8744.JPG

Daniel again
IMG_8745.JPG

Sarah cresting a distant hilltop
IMG_8746.JPG

Same view, just zoomed back out
IMG_8747.JPG

Note the "poison" part of the sign... It was originally misspelled.
IMG_8748.JPG

IMG_8749.JPG

Brian Schwartz on his new Aprilia Tuaregg 660, doing his break in ride on the Wyoming BDR and having a blast.
IMG_8750.JPG

Very cool house at Lost Cabin where we hit pavement again
IMG_8752.JPG

Library at gas station in Crowheart on US 26
IMG_8753.JPG

The only visible building in the area. It was actually quite busy.
IMG_8754.JPG

Looming bad weather...
IMG_8755.JPG

IMG_8756.JPG

IMG_8757.JPG

Nice area right behind our room
IMG_8758.JPG

Given the location, the price was not bad! Around $230 I think and the room was very nice.
IMG_8759.JPG

The beer dudes worked for this company. Million + dollar homes were going up all over the place in the mountains everywhere we went. The economy is clearly booming for some folks!
IMG_8760.JPG

Full kitchen with full sized appliances. Looked to have been recently remodeled.
IMG_8761.JPG

IMG_8762.JPG

Get it?
IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_8763.JPG

IMG_8764.JPG

Guess what today is... :doh:
IMG_8765.JPG

But we could still smell it!! :drool:
IMG_8766.JPG

IMG_8767.JPG

IMG_8768.JPG

IMG_8769.JPG

IMG_8770.JPG

Nana's
IMG_8771.JPG

It was a long, cold, and damp walk back to the hotel... We laughed most of the way though.

Last edited:
I was amazed at the number of Subarus! Don't see that many down here, but we saw them in some amazing places!

I used to see Ford Aerostars in amazing places in Colorado. Once I realized that some were 4wd it made a little more sense. Just a little.

We were constantly amazed at the places people were able to get RVs into, with a 4WD vehicle or not!!

The welcome back humidity was a nasty slap in the face

I was told the same thing about crossing the Red River when leaving Oklahoma coming into Texas, and it's true. It was literally like a slap.

And for my curiosity, if your willing to share, what did a trip like this cost?

It would be cool if you could do a bike night and share a slide show of pics and stories at like a meeting room in a bbq place or something. C&J's here has a room with a big tv on the wall. I would certainly go. I'd love to hear stories first hand.

And for my curiosity, if your willing to share, what did a trip like this cost?

I've not tallied the costs yet.

A BIG part of the cost is the prepping. If you plan to camp and don't have the gear for it, it isn't cheap. For my kids, we had to get luggage for the bikes, their riding gear, tents, sleeping bags, sleep mats, dry bags, etc... They both bought heated jackets and used them a LOT because we got into some very cold weather. We had heated grips on both of their bikes as well. But, if you already have all that stuff sorted from a previous trip, it is pretty much a one time cost.

As for the actual trip, again that depends. We had planned to camp 3-4 days, get a hotel, camp 3-4 days, get a hotel... rinse and repeat. Of the 49 days we were on the bikes, we were in hotels for all but 8-9 days. Sarah injuring her shoulder early on forced a change of plans. Then we got into pretty cold weather. One thing led to another and we just ended up getting hotels more than we would have preferred. Some of the nicest places we stayed were in the $125-150/night range. The highest we paid was just under $500/night for an average room at a Holiday Inn (no breakfast) at West Yellowstone. Campgrounds were full. We literally got the last room. Hotels in touristy areas get pricey REAL fast! I'd say the average hotel cost was around $200-225/night and they were always hard to find when booking for the same day. We always got a double queen room and that will be split three ways, so that helps some. We only paid for camping four nights. I think the highest we paid was $45 for all three tents. We did get three free nights in Ten Sleep courtesy of Justin and Jody Smith. If you REALLY want to cut cost, camping is the way to do it. But watch out for that dehydrated camp food! It is not cheap! Hotels would probably be cheaper if you booked them way in advance. I intentionally did not book any in advance because I wanted the flexibility of being able to change our plans on the fly. Also, using a service like Expedia or joining any of the "Rewards" plans offered by many chain hotels can save you around 20% on rooms. We often stayed in Best Westerns and I have a gold level membership, which got me a better discount than Expedia or Booking.com.

Food is a big expense. $16 for a hamburger and $3 for a soft drink was the norm everywhere. Also, I missed the memo, but it seems 18% is now the new minimum tip most places expect :roll: I occasionally paid that, but not often. They also expect a tip for literally EVERYTHING. It seems to have lost all connection to actually providing quality service. Sarah and I started splitting meals because neither of us are big eaters. That helped. Still, I would say the average dinner meal cost around $25. We usually ate the free continental breakfast at the hotels, most of which were actually pretty good. We often skipped lunch and just got snacks at a gas stop. Our favorite place to get food was the Mavericks gas stations. Most had grills in them and they made really good food and very reasonable prices! It was a favorite breakfast/lunch and even sometimes dinner stop.

Gas was generally in the $4-5/gallon range depending on what was available. We all run 89 octane in our bikes. Most of the stations we used had 87, 88, and either 90 or 91. Sometimes we used 88, sometimes 90/91. We were all getting fantastic gas mileage. I normally run about 190 miles per tank. I was routinely hitting 230 miles per tank. The KTM 390s were averaging 60-70mpg unless we were flogging them down the interstate at 80mph in windy conditions. Then they would drop down into the mid 50s. We usually filled up in the mornings and maybe once during the day just to top off. Most days were 150-200 miles with a few longer days pushing 300 when we just had to "get there".

A BIG expense was the unplanned bike repairs. I got out of the BMW dealership at just under $1K. We got out of the KTM dealership for $992. Getting the new KTM foot brake lever set us back almost $350!! So basically an extra $2K+ of unplanned expenses. Then there is going to be the expense of cosmetic repairs. Sarah's bike needs a new front right blinker and new foot brake lever again. The auxiliary light controller for my bike is literally fried and that is $285 to replace. Not sure what happened there. New tires for all three bikes will be $1K or so. Oil changes for all three bikes will likely be in the $150 range.

In Moab we rented a Jeep Rubicon for two days. With fees and taxes (nearly $100 extra!!), that came to about $675. Side by sides were around $400-500/day!!

Biggest expense of all though, is definitely closing down my business for three months. Let's just say the cost of the trip is trivial in comparison to the lost income. Still, it was worth it to me.

Total mileage on my bike shows as 8180 miles. The KTMs are showing a bit higher.

It would be cool if you could do a bike night and share a slide show of pics and stories at like a meeting room in a bbq place or something. C&J's here has a room with a big tv on the wall. I would certainly go. I'd love to hear stories first hand.

That would take a while! We were on the bikes for 49 days and I averaged 50 pics a day... :-P Even picking out the best would still leave a lot! But I do like C&Js BBQ!

Just wait Scott until your baby girl is old enough for an epic adventure. I bet she is planning it now and that one will really cost you.

Day thirty eight (thirty nine), National Museum of Military Vehicles and Teton NP.

Wednesday, September 20th.

It was COLD in the morning, mid 30s I believe, and had to have been much colder up in the mountains where we had intended to camp. We got up on time and were on the bikes heading out of town around 9:00am. We headed back west on US 26 to visit the National Museum of Military Vehicles. The ride out to the museum was really nice. The river valley and mountains are very cool. We got to the museum a bit early and rode around the massive parking lot looking at all the vehicles that are stored outside. At 9:30am they opened and we went in. There were already quite a few other people there waiting to get in as well. The building is VERY nice. This is a top dollar operation. We were told that the main building alone was over $100 million to construct, not including all the stuff they put inside it!! I think it was $20 or so for adults to get in, but the pass was good for three days, which I thought was odd at the time... We started out in the "Gun Vault". This place was crammed full of every kind of musket, rifle, pistol, machine gun, etc.... I've ever seen from American history. I could have spent all day just in this one section! Now the three day pass was starting to make sense! A WWII tour was being organized but that lasted about 2-1/2 hours according to the guide, so we opted for the self guided tour.

This place was insane. The level of detail in the exhibits was amazing. The restoration of the vehicles was amazing. The lighting and sounds in each area were amazing. Early on I knew we were going to be here a while even if we hurried! We pushed through the WWII section, Korean War, Vietnam War, and then at the end there was some kind of Spanish-American War stuff I think. There were steam powered vehicles. I initially thought I wasn't going to take any pictures because there was just so much stuff, how could I decide what to take a picture of and what to ignore. But, I just couldn't stand it and had to start taking pics. We tried to keep moving because there was a LOT to see and I knew we still had a good bit of riding ahead of us. Still, by the time we headed out the door, it had already been three hours and we still had to get on the road! If you ever find your self in Dubois, Wyoming, you HAVE to set aside at least one full day to check this place out. There was an entire new building that we didn't even go see. Nor did we spend time checking out all the stuff outside beyond just riding a quick loop around the parking lot. Yeah, three days here would be NOOOO problem! :lol2:

We headed back into town and filled up the bikes, grabbed a quick snack, and headed up into the mountains on US 26. The views were nice, even with the slightly grey weather. The Aspen trees were really starting to change. The road started getting curvy and fun. We soon found our way to the Falls Campground site and went into check out the waterfall. The kids enjoyed that. The campground had received some TLC in the years since my last visit. ALL of the sites now had their own steel bear proof food storage boxes. There were more picnic tables and fire rings. There also seemed to be more vault toilets than I recalled. About half of the sites were occupied, very few of which were tents. We got back on US 26 and just started heading West toward the Grand Teton mountain range. Everywhere I could see there was pending bad weather scattered across the horizon. It made for some cool views though. Daniel got way out front and Sarah and I were bringing up the rear. We stopped to zip up vents and get ready for rain because it started getting pretty iffy where we were. We eventually caught up to Daniel at the intersection with US 191 and went North a short bit to the park entrance and ran the inner park road South along the mountains. The rain was getting bad here, but we were still managing to thread through the various showers without being hit by them. However, the wind coming off the mountains was VERY strong, almost blowing Sarah and myself over as we were leaving one of the parking lots. Once on the road, we were really working hard just to keep the bikes between the lines. Near the end of the road the sun started breaking through the clouds and lighting up the mountains. That was really sweet!

We hopped on Moose-Wilson Road next and continued South. This used to be dirt but is now all paved. This means there is a LOT more traffic on the road than there had been in the past. There was a moose standing in the creek near the beginning of the road. This caused a traffic jam. When we finally cleared that, we hit another traffic jam that was barely even moving! Some knuckle head in a jeep just stopped in the middle of the road without any regard for traffic going both directions so they could get pics of a bear cub in the weeds. Even when the traffic was moving, it was crazy slow and heavy. What used to be a fun ride is no longer... Near the end of the road we had to get around some construction at the junction with Hwy 22 by cutting through a park area. We then ran West over the mountains to Victor, ID. It was dry heading up the mountains, but once we cleared the summit it was wet from the storms that had been coming through, but it wasn't actually raining on us... yet.... We did have some decent road spray coming down the mountains. Sarah got out ahead again when Daniel and I stopped at an over look near the summit. We eventually caught up to her stuck in a long line of slow moving vehicles. Now the road spray was nasty! We stopped at a gas station on the edge of town and then it really started to rain.

Driggs was just up the road, so we headed out and ran North to find the hotel. We found it, but decided to look for food before checking in. With this kind of weather we weren't wild about the idea of getting back on the bikes once we were off and I had a feeling there wasn't going to be any Uber cabs in this small town. There weren't a lot of food options in Driggs, so we ran back down into Victor and worse weather. We didn't have much better luck in Victor, but did find a place that was supposed to open at 5:00pm. It was 4:50pm. So we waited. They did eventually open and the food was really good! While at the restaurant I got a text from Expedia telling me the hotel had an urgent message for me. I checked it and it said that ALL reservations for the hotel had been canceled because of plumbing issues!!?? I called the hotel directly and they confirmed. So now I had to try to find another place to stay on VERY short notice! Fortunately, there was a place just a block from where we were eating that had ONE room left, a double queen handicap room, something we were getting used to given how often we were getting the last room in town! We checked in and unloaded the bikes. Then we headed back down the street to an ice cream shop we had spotted. It closed at 7:00pm. It was 7:05pm... :doh: So we tried a gas station across the street. I got an ice cream, but it tasted like it had been in the bottom of the freezer for a few years... We walked back to the hotel in the rain. Daniel decided to head inside for a hot shower. Sarah and I wandered next door to a small brewery. They were doing art classes. Sarah got a soft drink and I got a sampler platter of the local brew. We were enjoying the people watching until the manager started getting kind of ugly with some customers that he REALLY wanted to leave. He was shouting and really making a scene. The people he was shouting at all looked confused, but they didn't look drunk and I hadn't noticed them doing anything unusual. Regardless, we decided it was a good time for us to leave. It was still pouring rain and very cold. The hotel room was nice and warm. It had been another good day.

IMG_8793.JPG

I have no idea how many individual guns were in this thing, but there had to be thousands. It was crazy.
IMG_8794.JPG

We did a "quick" walk through of the WWII section.
IMG_8795.JPG

IMG_8796.JPG

IMG_8797.JPG

IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8799.JPG

IMG_8800.JPG

IMG_8801.JPG

IMG_8802.JPG

IMG_8803.JPG

IMG_8804.JPG

IMG_8805.JPG

IMG_8806.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG

IMG_8808.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

IMG_8810.JPG

IMG_8811.JPG

IMG_8812.JPG

IMG_8813.JPG

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8815.JPG

IMG_8816.JPG

IMG_8817.JPG

IMG_8818.JPG

IMG_8819.JPG

IMG_8821.JPG

IMG_8822.JPG

One of the few non American pieces, the dreaded 88.
IMG_8823.JPG

IMG_8824.JPG

IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8826.JPG

IMG_8827.JPG

Stuff like this blows me away when I think about it being designed with slide rules and 2D drafting on paper...
IMG_8828.JPG

IMG_8829.JPG

IMG_8830.JPG

IMG_8831.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG

IMG_8833.JPG

IMG_8834.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8839.JPG

IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8841.JPG

IMG_8842.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8844.JPG

IMG_8845.JPG

IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG

IMG_8849.JPG

IMG_8851.JPG

The sleeping bag Sarah needs to keep her warm when we are camping!
IMG_8853.JPG

IMG_8854.JPG

IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_8856.JPG

IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

IMG_8860.JPG

IMG_8861.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8863.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

IMG_8867.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_8873.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

IMG_8878.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG

IMG_8880.JPG

Heading back into Dubois after leaving the museum.
IMG_8881.JPG

IMG_8882.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

Big Wind River, aptly named because it was WINDY here!
IMG_8886.JPG

IMG_8887.JPG

IMG_8888.JPG

IMG_8889.JPG

IMG_8891.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

Heading West into the mountains
IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8896.JPG

Top of the falls at Falls Campground
IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_8900.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8902.JPG

The falls go a LONG way down... This is only the top part. There is much more below.
IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8906.JPG

IMG_8907.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

The spot we camped at back in 2017 when I was here with Rsquared, his son Mason, and his BIL Jay.
IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8911.JPG

Nasty weather over the Tetons
IMG_8912.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8916.JPG

IMG_8917.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

There is literally a WALL of rain over there in the distance, fortunately moving away from us!
IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8925.JPG

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8930.JPG

Strange crack in that peak on the right. Looks like a band saw went through it.
IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8932.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8934.JPG

There has to be a story behind this... :eek: :lol2:
IMG_8935.JPG

Looking SE as we head West up the pass over the mountains on Hwy 22
IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8937.JPG

IMG_8938.JPG

Looking West from the second floor of the hotel, storms coming through the Targhee NF.
IMG_8939.JPG

It got steadily worse as the evening progressed
IMG_8940.JPG

Left to right = top to bottom on receipt, all good except #3 which was just to bitter for me.
IMG_8941.JPG

My favorite was the dude in the middle front holding his painting in front of his face.
IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG

Last edited:
Man, those costs just kill me.
I hear you. I was really having to do a mental reset on what things cost. I've not been out much in the last five years and prices of EVERYTHING have skyrocketed!!

Hands down the very best post so far. Thank you so much for documenting the museum so well. I still need to get there one day but I feel like this write-up does it enough justice to hold me over until that day comes.

I have to say I love the format of your ride reports. Reading at the top, pictures with captions at the bottom. I find the pictures scattered through text hard to follow. This is perfect.

That is an incredible museum. Thanks for sharing.

We barely scratched the surface of the museum. There was a whole other building we didn't even go into! There were MANY exhibits that I did not get shots of. Going in, I thought, "There will just be way too many photos, so I just won't take any, because how can I justify taking one and not another!?" That lasted about five minutes :lol2:

When we paid to get in, they gave us a wrist band, much like you get going into a county fair or something. It was good for three days!

Back