• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of getting a Moto Guzzi V7 850

Brojon

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Smith
Seems to be a real step up from the V7 III Stone which was what I was looking at.
Never owned an Italian bike unless you count a Piaggio scooter.
I heard some crazy things about maintenance - like valve adjust every 6,000 miles.
I just don't need to get saddled with a temperamental Italian bike.
Opinions?

I don't think you can buy a bad bike, and everyone should date an Italian once in their life (at least). Go for it. I had an old LeMans III that was a beauty, ran like a race horse, and if the previous owners hadn't jacked around with the electrics would still be in my garage. In my case I wasn't close enough to a mechanic (I don't do electric). With a new bike you won't have those problems of course. I say go for it. But if you do make sure you have a proper leather jacket because nothing looks worse than a dayglo green jacket on a Guzzi.

I don't think you can buy a bad bike, and everyone should date an Italian once in their life (at least). Go for it. I had an old LeMans III that was a beauty, ran like a race horse, and if the previous owners hadn't jacked around with the electrics would still be in my garage. In my case I wasn't close enough to a mechanic (I don't do electric). With a new bike you won't have those problems of course. I say go for it. But if you do make sure you have a proper leather jacket because nothing looks worse than a dayglo green jacket on a Guzzi.
lol - you sure you live in the same Texas I do?
My black and white mesh will have to do in summer ;)

My friend has a V9 Roamer and loves it. Actually it's his second, which he got in the same color even.

The width is interesting, and one of the reasons his first bike totaled I think. Lots to snap off if you go down and no real "crash bars" solution.

When it cranks up there's a noticeable torguing of the bike in one direction and then the classic vibration. Reminds me of a semitruck honestly. His has been very reliable but I can't comment if he's done all the suggested maintenance.

My friend has a V9 Roamer and loves it. Actually it's his second, which he got in the same color even.

The width is interesting, and one of the reasons his first bike totaled I think. Lots to snap off if you go down and no real "crash bars" solution.

When it cranks up there's a noticeable torguing of the bike in one direction and then the classic vibration. Reminds me of a semitruck honestly. His has been very reliable but I can't comment if he's done all the suggested maintenance.
As long as it calms down once moving. I always liked my buddy's Norton thumper for that reason.
That thing would almost rock you to sleep ;)
They do have some crash bars meant to protect the cylinders.
Honestly if I can get my feet on the I'll be happy.
This VStrom makes me tippy toe and every lay down has been from low spots or an off camber stop.
Sucks honestly.

Brojon,

I own a V7 III Special, before that a Mark I V7 Racer. Guzzi makes wonderful machines. The new 850 has great reviews and is reportedly smooth as butter. I love my Special, just back from a nice ride. Oh, and maintenance is simple and infrequent with the valves out on the heads and shaft drive. In Austin you have a fantastic Guzzi dealer. You can get head guards as a bolt on option, I have some on my bike.

Test one. I will add: these bikes take a bit of time to break in. So, the transmission may be a bit tight and the rev limit light is set low when new. When these bikes have 1000 miles on them they tend to really smooth out and the power band is there.

Brojon,

I own a V7 III Special, before that a Mark I V7 Racer. Guzzi makes wonderful machines. The new 850 has great reviews and is reportedly smooth as butter. I love my Special, just back from a nice ride. Oh, and maintenance is simple and infrequent with the valves out on the heads and shaft drive. In Austin you have a fantastic Guzzi dealer. You can get head guards as a bolt on option, I have some on my bike.

Test one. I will add: these bikes take a bit of time to break in. So, the transmission may be a bit tight and the rev limit light is set low when new. When these bikes have 1000 miles on them they tend to really smooth out and the power band is there.
Thanks! I was on the MG forum on Facebook and Reddit and asked a simple question - "why doesn't this bike have a fuel gauge?"
OMG - you'd thought I'd blasphemed the Virgin Mary.
I got some serious flak about "use the trip odo", "look in the tank and slosh it", etc etc.
My God, the motorcycle equivalent of FUDDs. I pointed out that other Moto Guzzis have fuel gauges - even the V7 850 Special (or maybe that's mpg).
I got to talk to a gal I spotted with a V7 III and she was gushing in her enthusiasm - and she says she's ridden hers out to the West Coast up to Washington State camping the whole way. That's a pretty good endorsement.
As far as the valves - I saw a video where you have to use the rear wheel in 3rd to move the engine to TDC?
Pretty much says you need a centerstand or do you know a different way?

Thanks! I was on the MG forum on Facebook and Reddit and asked a simple question - "why doesn't this bike have a fuel gauge?"
OMG - you'd thought I'd blasphemed the Virgin Mary.
I got some serious flak about "use the trip odo", "look in the tank and slosh it", etc etc.
My God, the motorcycle equivalent of FUDDs. I pointed out that other Moto Guzzis have fuel gauges - even the V7 850 Special (or maybe that's mpg).
I got to talk to a gal I spotted with a V7 III and she was gushing in her enthusiasm - and she says she's ridden hers out to the West Coast up to Washington State camping the whole way. That's a pretty good endorsement.
As far as the valves - I saw a video where you have to use the rear wheel in 3rd to move the engine to TDC?
Pretty much says you need a centerstand or do you know a different way?

Guzzi owners are a different breed. Its more of a cult than ownership after 100 years. I simply use the trip odometer: at 150 miles fill the tank although the bike gets 65 miles/gallon and probably can go 200 miles easy with reserve left. The wildguzzi forum is very quirky with some smart people, but I left after five years.

These bikes are fantastic all rounders: fast enough to entertain, reliable, low maintenance, comfortable and yes beautifully engineered. I will say the dual instrument cluster on my V7S failed out of warranty, and it was a very expensive repair. I have had no other significant issues.

Talk to AF1 dealer in Austin about the modern bike valve adjustment. There is a definite procedure, but much easier than most bikes, and very infrequent after break in at 600 miles and again around 5000 miles. Oil changes are a bit messy and require a bike stand.

Go ride one! Please post your test reviews. I wish we had a similar quality Guzzi dealer in Houston. We do have an expert independent mechanic though.

I'm on my second Guzzi -- this one's the V85TT. The book suggests checking valve clearances every 6000 miles. Two per cylinder, takes longer to gather the tools. (This from a guy who has to have help putting the lid back on toothpaste tube.). The whole vibration thing was more of a thing on my Stelvio NTX 1200... the 850 motor vibrates very little, pulls well, will quickly bump 100 mph of the passing lane's short.
Before the Stelvio, I spent 5 years on a variety of FJRs and a Connie and five years on a Super Tenere so I understand the hesitancy. But, I couldn't be any happier with mine. BTW, the V85TT has a fuel gauge. :)

Guzzi owners are a different breed. Its more of a cult than ownership after 100 years. I simply use the trip odometer: at 150 miles fill the tank although the bike gets 65 miles/gallon and probably can go 200 miles easy with reserve left. The wildguzzi forum is very quirky with some smart people, but I left after five years.

These bikes are fantastic all rounders: fast enough to entertain, reliable, low maintenance, comfortable and yes beautifully engineered. I will say the dual instrument cluster on my V7S failed out of warranty, and it was a very expensive repair. I have had no other significant issues.

Talk to AF1 dealer in Austin about the modern bike valve adjustment. There is a definite procedure, but much easier than most bikes, and very infrequent after break in at 600 miles and again around 5000 miles. Oil changes are a bit messy and require a bike stand.

Go ride one! Please post your test reviews. I wish we had a similar quality Guzzi dealer in Houston. We do have an expert independent mechanic though.
I'm going on Wednesday. I was supposed to take Friday afternoon off but then - the boss had last minute "gotta have this" issues ;)
They have the new Specials which are essentially identical mechanically. Looking at the new seat I think I'll like it even better than the V7 III seat I sat on which was surprisingly comfy. A centerstand is around $300 and I've always found them worth every penny with oil and tire changes.

I'm on my second Guzzi -- this one's the V85TT. The book suggests checking valve clearances every 6000 miles. Two per cylinder, takes longer to gather the tools. (This from a guy who has to have help putting the lid back on toothpaste tube.). The whole vibration thing was more of a thing on my Stelvio NTX 1200... the 850 motor vibrates very little, pulls well, will quickly bump 100 mph of the passing lane's short.
Before the Stelvio, I spent 5 years on a variety of FJRs and a Connie and five years on a Super Tenere so I understand the hesitancy. But, I couldn't be any happier with mine.
I gave serious thought to a Connie - nice bikes but also a little high in the saddle for me and I found it hard to muscle around. Too bad - great looking a running bike!
The V85TT same thing - seat height. My VStrom I bought a Seat Concepts cover that gave me a little, adjusted the rear preload for a little more, then made my own seat spacers to get it even lower. I still tippy toe the bike which is the major reason I'm trading it in. I sat in a Vulcan this weekend and I'd forgotten how low those rascals are.

Brojon,

One feature of the small block Guzzi bikes: low seat height. My inseam is 30 inches, and with boots on the bike is an easy on and off. The stock seat is cushy and just perfect for long rides. Definitely ride one. The 850 is a bit heavier, but also more HP and torque than my 750 Special.

They are very quiet stock. I changed to Agostini cans and the bike has a nice sound and burble, plus shed weight. AF1 can fix you up!

Attachments

• Sophia_Ago_B.jpg
    Sophia_Ago_B.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 1,188
Brojon,

One feature of the small block Guzzi bikes: low seat height. My inseam is 30 inches, and with boots on the bike is an easy on and off. The stock seat is cushy and just perfect for long rides. Definitely ride one. The 850 is a bit heavier, but also more HP and torque than my 750 Special.

They are very quiet stock. I changed to Agostini cans and the bike has a nice sound and burble, plus shed weight. AF1 can fix you up!
We already discussed the cans. They say they are in talks with the manufacturers in Europe to drop the cats on replacement cans as most USA locations don't require them.
I wasn't aware that E5 addresses noise as well as emissions - that's why they are quieter.

So went down to AF1 and took a Special out for a spin.
I wasn't prepared for how different it was and honestly almost dismissed it.
Then I remembered that new and different aren't bad and accepted the bike for what it is.
The vibration took some getting used to until I realized I was gripping too hard (I get nervous on bikes I don't own).
I relaxed my grip and rested and not bad! Definitely smooths out after 3,500 rpm.
Bike pulls well - my VStrom has almost identical speeds in the same gears/rpms but the Strom whines and the Guzzi just rumbles.
Odd how they can sound different doing the same thing.
I can flat foot it and I took it home and the wife can climb on easily - although she burnt her leg on the muffler.
A guard might be a nice touch since the muffler flare out quite a bit.
The seat is no longer a surfboard - it now has a gentle tractor seat style scoop out that your butt snuggles right in.
So of course I plopped down a deposit to claim one of the few remaining that are coming in.
I did find out a couple of things that they should tell folks:
1 - that LED headlight? It's integral to the housing and will cost you $450 if it takes a dump.
The good news is they've been making that light since 2017 and the parts guy says the fail rate is for all purposes zero.
My guess as an electronics guy is the LED chips are heatsinked through the housing and indeed there are large cooling fins.
2 - no fuel gauge. Found out carping about little things is sure to piss off the Moto Guzzi faithful. I'm sorry - a fuel gauge is nice to have and my VStrom shows they can be very accurate since the EFI meters the gas,
3 - I would advise staying away from the Special with spoked wheels. The floor models all had spokes with varying tension - I could have played a tune given enough time to pick them all. Add tubes to that mix (I loathe tubes) and you're grounded if you get a flat. No plugging those puppies. Anyway - apparently nobody thought to take a torque wrench to the wheel spokes on assembly.
Now I need to find a source for parts. Minimally I need a centerstand and they use a cartridge style oil filter which I dearly hope I don't have to order from the dealer.
Part numbers and such are still very sketchy per the Italian way.
So now I wait for my steed to arrive.

Brojon,

Splendid, welcome to the Cult of Aquila.

The bikes love to be ridden between 3500 and 5000 rpm with the sweet spot at 4000 rpm. Don't lug a Guzzi, they like to spin up. The engine will also let you know when to shift gears.

Never had an issue with spoked wheels or the tubes on either my Racer or Special. But, I hear you.

Oil changes do require a cartridge, and are messy. AF1 can help you out with any parts. Be sure to do that 600 mile first service.

Please post a picture when you get the bike!

Veloce!

Brojon,

Splendid, welcome to the Cult of Aquila.

The bikes love to be ridden between 3500 and 5000 rpm with the sweet spot at 4000 rpm. Don't lug a Guzzi, they like to spin up. The engine will also let you know when to shift gears.

Never had an issue with spoked wheels or the tubes on either my Racer or Special. But, I hear you.

Oil changes do require a cartridge, and are messy. AF1 can help you out with any parts. Be sure to do that 600 mile first service.

Veloce!
Sean stated that the breakin was 900 miles. Seems that what it was on my Piaggio as well.
I'm sure I'll get the straight skinny on delivery. I *hate* waiting. ;)
Pulling all the farkles off my VStrom to sell separately in the meantime. They admitted that stuff added nothing to trade in.
Mirror extenders, Givi adapter, centerstand, Scorpio alarm, battery monitor and various RAM mounts, put stock seat back on and sell Seat Concepts seat (great seats BTW!).

Be sure to do that 600 mile first service.
Veloce!
I have to do teh first service with them simply to clear the breakin code so it will let the bike rev normally.
You get a flashing red light at 4,500 and it starts cutting out at a little over 5K.
I'm used to doing my own break in on a steep hill so I can develop the pressure to seat the rings properly.
Ah well, seems like nanny bikes are the new normal.

Brojon,

I predict you will +++love+++ the small block Guzzi. AF1 has a superior reputation for service and parts.

The flashing light can be adjusted by owner. But, definitely go easy on the revs until after first oil change/filter, etc.

Molto bene!

Brojon,

I predict you will +++love+++ the small block Guzzi. AF1 has a superior reputation for service and parts.

The flashing light can be adjusted by owner. But, definitely go easy on the revs until after first oil change/filter, etc.

Molto bene!
Really? I'd like to know how - maybe in owner's manual?
I had asked Sean if he could get me a PDF of the owners manual ahead of time.
He wasn't as enthusiastic after he had my money. MG insists you have VIN to get an owner's manual.
Sean also said he would try to get me a PDF service manual - THAT would be very nice!
I'm guessing by online remarks that the bike comes with dino oil to break in then they swap to synthetic.

Yes in owners manual. Very easy using mode button. Also switch metric to US systems, ABS on/off, etc.

Yes break in oil then swap out.

Anticipation...

Really? I'd like to know how - maybe in owner's manual?
I had asked Sean if he could get me a PDF of the owners manual ahead of time.
He wasn't as enthusiastic after he had my money. MG insists you have VIN to get an owner's manual.
Sean also said he would try to get me a PDF service manual - THAT would be very nice!
I'm guessing by online remarks that the bike comes with dino oil to break in then they swap to synthetic.
Brojon,

A really excellent resource for Moto Guzzi owners is the GuzziTech forum. The owner is a brilliant engineer obsessed with Guzzi. Besides the forum full of advice, GT sells some fantastic custom accessories, including exhausts, etc. Check them out.

One thing you will want AF1 to do even before delivery: replace the junk plastic gas filter in the tank with a metal one. They will know what to do.

I've had my 2011 v7 since 2012 (bought used from AF1). The only things that it's ever needed beyond regular maintenance (which AF1 has always done for me) are a single valve cover gasket that went bad. Other than that, the bike runs like a top no matter what. The other Guzzi's I've owned have been just as reliable.

There's absolutely no reason to buy parts from anywhere else besides AF1. The owners are amazing guys, and they have a rock solid reputation nationally. AF1's website is your best friend here, and shouldn't have you needing to go anywhere else:

Also, if Sean said he'll get you a pdf, he will. I've bought multiple bikes with him as my consultant, and he is top notch. Try getting AF1 levels of service at any other dealer, not gonna happen.

I've had my 2011 v7 since 2012 (bought used from AF1). The only things that it's ever needed beyond regular maintenance (which AF1 has always done for me) are a single valve cover gasket that went bad. Other than that, the bike runs like a top no matter what. The other Guzzi's I've owned have been just as reliable.

There's absolutely no reason to buy parts from anywhere else besides AF1. The owners are amazing guys, and they have a rock solid reputation nationally. AF1's website is your best friend here, and shouldn't have you needing to go anywhere else:

Also, if Sean said he'll get you a pdf, he will. I've bought multiple bikes with him as my consultant, and he is top notch. Try getting AF1 levels of service at any other dealer, not gonna happen.
Good to hear - he seems like a straight up guy and was able to get me a "military discount" on some parts I ordered with the bike (yes, I ordered it).
My bike is in - waiting for prep and I get to ride her home.
As per PDF - he misspoke as far as the maint manual - they charge a whopping ten bucks or so for a PDF which is outstanding in my experience - as in most shops are like "no can do".

Good to hear - he seems like a straight up guy and was able to get me a "military discount" on some parts I ordered with the bike (yes, I ordered it).
My bike is in - waiting for prep and I get to ride her home.
As per PDF - he misspoke as far as the maint manual - they charge a whopping ten bucks or so for a PDF which is outstanding in my experience - as in most shops are like "no can do".

Brojon,

Molto bene! You may need a few special tools depending on your level of maintenance. AF1 is premiere.

Let's see pictures! Glad it arrived after a short wait.

Post a pic when you got it. Never owned eyetalian before. I like a Duc or Guzzi though.

Back