• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of getting a Moto Guzzi V7 850

I can honestly say I'm still pleased with it after I've put over 1,500 miles on it. It has a pleasing lumpy idle - sounds like it's cammed.
Takes a bit getting used to the right pull from the transverse engine torque - quirky but cool.
The power is definitely there. I have no problem getting speed even from lower RPMs. It's not a crotch rocket but you won't lose to a Harley either ;)
It doesn't seem to struggle even around 95mph as indicated. Wind is more of an issue than power at those speeds. One thing I love is it is stable in winds. I have to do a couple of flyovers on 183 and gusts don't budge this thing. Not once have I felt like I had a handful - a very tractable beast she is. I suspect that's a result of being "naked" without all the fairing junk. I have a café style Marlin screen on it right now which all but eliminates head bobble in head on winds but I think for longer distances at freeway speeds a larger screen is called for. The exhaust has a pleasing grumble and positively bellows when you get on it which is a surprise given the E5 rating involves noise levels as well as emissions.
I thought perhaps those massive jugs right next to my legs would be hot but I never noticed even on 95+ days.
Mine has shown no ill manners except for a reluctance to start when it got down to 60 last week. The tech at AF1 gave me a couple of tips so I'm going to try them tomorrow morning since it's supposed to be colder than that. I do need to let it idle a bit before taking off or it tries to stall unless you really feather the clutch.
In summary I'm 98% pleased with it.
{* UPDATE *) I started it no issue this morning at 49F. She must have just been feeling grumpy that day ;)
My only niggle is a small one that may get fixed with a ECU flash.
Cruising around 3200 RPM sometimes it will act like it loses power for a very brief instance - almost like the bike "pauses". Very odd and the tech says he's reported 5 instances to Moto Guzzi. I also mentioned that it seems to run a tad rough around 3800 rpm. His theory is that both items are a result of the ECU transitioning from closed loop to open loop in the ECU. That makes sense and is something they can fix in a better tune to flash the ECU with. How long that will take is big guess but it doesn't bother me sufficiently to stress over.
The bike is odd in that there seems to be a lot of vibration but it's not objectionable. My VStrom buzzed my hands to where they'd get numb. I've been on a couple of 200+ mile trips with the MG and not had any effects from the vibration. Must be in my head ;)
The seat is also very comfy but I pushed it once to 200 miles without a break and my butt wasn't happy - but nothing debilitating. The Centenario has a leather seat which is a bit firmer than most seats I've had.
Easily already in the top 10 of bikes I've owned and the first I've found nothing of importance to complain about after the honeymoon is over.
Hey Brojon - I'm interested in a Stone as a stable mate to my Connie, so am curious whether you are still enjoying yours and would still recommend one. I live in Buda so would be able to buy from AF1 Racing which I've heard so many good things about.

Yup - still digging it.
The only thing I wish were better is the front forks.
But you can say that about an awful lot of bikes ;)
I was seriously considering a Connie for a bit but it's also a tall bike for me.
Guy where I worked had one and I always admired it's looks and sultry exhaust tone.

Hey Brojon - I'm interested in a Stone as a stable mate to my Connie, so am curious whether you are still enjoying yours and would still recommend one. I live in Buda so would be able to buy from AF1 Racing which I've heard so many good things about.
Yup - still digging it.
I was seriously considering a Connie for a bit but it's also a tall bike for me.
Guy where I worked had one and I always admired it's looks and sultry exhaust tone.

Yup - still digging it.
Glad to hear! I had a Ducati GT1000 some years back and while I love my Connie I miss that Italian twin character and sound. I've been attracted to Guzzis for years, and always loved that distinctive transverse V-twin. I've been considering a middleweight for a few years now for just blasting around the Hill Country, while still using the Connie for commuting and touring. The V7 just seems to check so many boxes, gets great reviews, and sounds pretty easy to work on. And AF1 seems like a great shop too. I haven't been in since they were in downtown Austin, but they were always real friendly.

Couple of more questions. How is it on the highway wind-wise? I had a small windscreen on the GT, so might likely put one on a V7 too.. Also, does it require regular or premium?

Glad to hear! I had a Ducati GT1000 some years back and while I love my Connie I miss that Italian twin character and sound. I've been attracted to Guzzis for years, and always loved that distinctive transverse V-twin. I've been considering a middleweight for a few years now for just blasting around the Hill Country, while still using the Connie for commuting and touring. The V7 just seems to check so many boxes, gets great reviews, and sounds pretty easy to work on. And AF1 seems like a great shop too. I haven't been in since they were in downtown Austin, but they were always real friendly.

Couple of more questions. How is it on the highway wind-wise? I had a small windscreen on the GT, so might likely put one on a V7 too.. Also, does it require regular or premium?
AF1 has been terrific. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good for a stock exhaust.
It takes premium gas but when I had to fill it with 88 a couple of times it wasn't unhappy about it.
This thing is at it's best for local riding. I did meet a gal who took her all teh way up teh West Coast and back bike camping.
Since it's a naked bike there's nothing up front to throw extra wind in your face. Relatively benign.
I put a Marlin screen on mine and that was fine around town and on back roads. At sustained highway speeds it threw too much at the helmet and that gets old in a few hours. I eventually went to an Italian screen made by Isotta - Tall Windscreen Kit, Clear - LOSC39-T. I got clear, wish I'd got the tint. Still a little turbulence but it's at the top of the helmet. I don't think it's possible to get a higher one other than maybe teh OEM. I'm toying with teh idea of a top "wing" deflector that I can add only when doing more than a fair amount of highway speed. I rode out to East Texas and used 290. Going 90 wasn't a problem but one thing; After a couple of hours I pulled into a Wally World and noticed the oil was down about a 1/2 quart. I haven't seen that since but I suspect it was the sustained high speed. AF1 seemed to think it was normal but a 1/2 quart after a couple hundred miles is of concern to me so I check it now after every highway ride at higher speeds.
One of teh most comfortable seats of this type I've ridden for 5-6 hours stopping only for gas (about 250 mile range). No butthurt so to speak of.
AF1 is great but literally everything is available to tinker with. No stupid pulling half teh bike apart to work on something. Air filter under the seat, valve covers right there by your knees. Only thing is to set teh valves you need to find TDC. There's no other way to move the engine other than bumping the rear wheel while in gear. Translation: adding a center stand is highly advisable.
You thinking of the Special or the Stone? I really liked teh retro gauges and looks of the Special but couldn't get past the spokes and tube tires. I don't want anything I can't plug since I've had to do it several times in this area.

AF1 has been terrific. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good for a stock exhaust.
It takes premium gas but when I had to fill it with 88 a couple of times it wasn't unhappy about it.
This thing is at it's best for local riding. I did meet a gal who took her all teh way up teh West Coast and back bike camping.
Since it's a naked bike there's nothing up front to throw extra wind in your face. Relatively benign.
I put a Marlin screen on mine and that was fine around town and on back roads. At sustained highway speeds it threw too much at the helmet and that gets old in a few hours. I eventually went to an Italian screen made by Isotta - Tall Windscreen Kit, Clear - LOSC39-T. I got clear, wish I'd got the tint. Still a little turbulence but it's at the top of the helmet. I don't think it's possible to get a higher one other than maybe teh OEM. I'm toying with teh idea of a top "wing" deflector that I can add only when doing more than a fair amount of highway speed. I rode out to East Texas and used 290. Going 90 wasn't a problem but one thing; After a couple of hours I pulled into a Wally World and noticed the oil was down about a 1/2 quart. I haven't seen that since but I suspect it was the sustained high speed. AF1 seemed to think it was normal but a 1/2 quart after a couple hundred miles is of concern to me so I check it now after every highway ride at higher speeds.
One of teh most comfortable seats of this type I've ridden for 5-6 hours stopping only for gas (about 250 mile range). No butthurt so to speak of.
AF1 is great but literally everything is available to tinker with. No stupid pulling half teh bike apart to work on something. Air filter under the seat, valve covers right there by your knees. Only thing is to set teh valves you need to find TDC. There's no other way to move the engine other than bumping the rear wheel while in gear. Translation: adding a center stand is highly advisable.
You thinking of the Special or the Stone? I really liked teh retro gauges and looks of the Special but couldn't get past the spokes and tube tires. I don't want anything I can't plug since I've had to do it several times in this area.
Thanks for all the great info! Glad to hear the seat is comfortable and that great range is one of the selling points for me as well. Regarding the Special or the Stone, I think you just made up my mind for me by noting the Special uses tube tires. My GT1000 did as well, and I miraculously rode it 20+K miles without ever getting a flat, but since I've needed to plug with both the bikes I've had since then I'm sold on tubeless. And cleaning spoke wheels is a ****, so while I really the 70s vibe of the Special, the Stone has an understated coolness and with less chrome would save a lot of time when washing and detailing. Also, I prefer the rubber fork boots. Haven't had those on a bike since my first one - a 1968 Yamaha AS1C 125cc!

Thanks! I was on the MG forum on Facebook and Reddit and asked a simple question - "why doesn't this bike have a fuel gauge?"
OMG - you'd thought I'd blasphemed the Virgin Mary.
That's funny. I asked the same question prior to purchasing my R18 Classic and got the "trip odo" comment too. Still, sometimes things left off are a real head scratcher...

get the V85TT... same motor, with a fuel gauge.

Brought home my new Guzzi V7 Stone yesterday and have almost 200 miles on it. What a hoot! Got a great deal at AF1 Racing, and the bike really seems like a solid value. I love that it's made in Italy and has a lot of quality touches for its price point.
IMG_8313.jpg

Brought home my new Guzzi V7 Stone yesterday and have almost 200 miles on it. What a hoot! Got a great deal at AF1 Racing, and the bike really seems like a solid value. I love that it's made in Italy and has a lot of quality touches for its price point.View attachment 336383
Congrats! They really are a sweet ride.
Not that it could EVER replace TWT, but there's a forum on FaceBook for Texas Guzzi Riders.

I like the way the v85tt looks and was drooling over it for quite sometime until I got to ride one.

It is sure a good looking bike and would be fine for the most part but I guess I have been spoilt rotten by my MT-09 road bike and AT my off-road/touring bike.

Guzzi vibrates and feels like it is dancing when it is in neutral at a stop. Goes away once you roll and speed up. I mean it can be fun for someone but for me I was like no way I can do this all day 300-500 mile rides.

The electronics are just weird, the whole blue TFT looks old and sad. The whole bike is classic why not have some analog gauges instead.

It doesn’t show which gear you are in when you are at a stop which is the only time I look which gear I am in. Guzzi doesn’t show the gear until you are already moving for a few seconds.

It has big fat button that says mode and you would think that is the ride modes. Nope, the start button is the mode button to cycle through the riding modes.

The cruse control light keeps flashing if you turned it on and not set the speed.
The left and right turn indicators switches are of different sizes

Multiple ways to show you are low on fuel. TFT has blinking pump sign and then another LED around the dash turns on yellow. There are other duplication like side stand etc I would say that is minor. Overall the TFT was hard to read and may be an issue if you need glasses.

Other than that there are known issues like fork seal failing, oil pressure sensor failing, footpegs falling off( recall from NHSTA).

Engine runs pretty hot and not sure how it would do in downtown stop and go traffic in peak summer.

Only good think atleast the new spoked wheels are tubeless.

Its on sale with the included 3pc luggage and you can get it out of the door for $13 but I was like meh definitely a bit too pricey for what it is. 10k for sure but 13k is a stretch!

Last edited:
Back