• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thoughts for RollingJ

That's too bad. Strokes can be mild to severe and since they are setting up donations and a meal train it sounds like this might be severe so good thoughts are going out.

On the flip side, there was a man admitted to the stroke rehab while my wife was recovering from hers. It took her four weeks to get to the point where I could bring her home, yet from the day he was admitted to rehab sitting in a wheelchair to walking out on his own two legs took him 7 days. It's very different for every person so wish Joel well and hope for the best.

Yes appears to be severe. I read in another FB post he is still in ICU and intubated. However a good sign today as he was able to wiggle toes on both his feet.
Excellent. It took 3 days for Brenda to be able to move her fingers. Stroke recovery is usually rapid for the first six weeks and then it really plateaus from there with very slight improvements from that point on, so the earlier he starts being able to do things, the better.

If anyone is close to the family you may want to suggest https://www.caringbridge.org/ to them.

After Brenda's stroke I was overwhelmed with family and friends wanting status updates; texting, emailing, calling. By using CaringBridge (free but accepts donations) you have one place where you maintain a daily (or however often you choose) status update for everyone. You create the page and give everyone the URL and they go there to see what's going on. They can leave messages of support, questions, etc, but as the family member maintaining the page you determine what you want to answer and how. This was a real time saver and stress reliever for me during that period. I maintained the site for two years, and it's still active if I ever want to review past comments.

This is Brenda's page if anyone wants to review the kinds of things I wrote about. Several people on TWT followed along back in those days. https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/brendathorn

This kind of thing hurts to hear. Joel's a determined guy. If he can heal up...he'll make it happen.

I went nosing around Facebook and the Meal Train web site....found this update on meal train from yesterday that seem to have some additional good news.

Stevo

1699886862358.png

That is awesome!

Some years back my Mom had a stroke. My nephew lived with them and he had come into the room to ask her about something and noticed something was wrong. She couldn't talk and one side of her body wasn't responding. He alerted my Dad and they got her to the ER FAST. They gave her one of those clot busting shots. This was around 9:30-10:00pm. By the time I found out and was able to get to the hospital around midnight, she was responsive and lucid. She basically looked like she had been to the dentist to have her wisdom teeth pulled on one side and was recovering from the deadening of the nerves in the jaw. Less than 24 hours later she was home for Christmas day lunch and showed no lingering issues. For years, every time she would visit her doctor he would always comment about how amazed he was that she'd made a 100% recovery and he could not detect any lingering related issues. I am praying it will be the same for Joel! :zen:

Very good news about Joel. It doesn't sound like he has any major lack of function.

Regarding the tired and weak comment... it's not unusual for stroke survivors to tire more easily and require more sleep than others. My wife easily sleeps 9-10 hours a night.

Yes, it's true that I am alive and mostly well. Still ugly, but what can you do...

I've been having dizzy spells for a few weeks now but this one came with the right side of my body numb and heavy. I called 911 and happened to pull over 2 blocks from the fire station in Deridder. They were there fast! I couldn't get the door open but I got the window somehow. It's really scary knowing the words you want to say and something else comes out.

So then I threw hands with the er nurses. I don't really know what that was about, but they won. I woke up when they pulled the intubation tube out of my throat, and it's all been up-hill from there.

I'm pretty sure ill be alright with wife and family giving my all their love.

Last edited:
Back