• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

toll tag?

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
we have a shiny new toll road that goes between Cleburne and downtown Fort Worth. this promises to cut commute times in half, and I think it could cut them even shorter some days after catching every light between here and there red.
what do you toll commuters do with your toll tags on your bike/s? do you use one tag on more than one vehicle?

I have three tags. One for each vehicle. The charging structure is the same for up to three vehicles. That is, once it dips below $10, it charges $40.

More than three tags, it changes, apparently, but I don't know by how much.

if I under stand it right you have to have $40 for each three so if you have four vehicles you need $80 in there and it charges that when the level goes below $20
it said you can get hard tags or even some sort of license plate tag but I never saw where you order those.

You may have to go to a store to get anything but the sticker tags.

Some Krogers have them.

Check out txtag.org. It will have the most up to date info.

I register the bike, get the tag and put it in a drawer. The plate readers handle the billing. I have always had problems finding a location for the tag that read consistently and just gave up. Charges appear on my monthly statement with all discounts applied, so I just don't fight it anymore.

I register the bike, get the tag and put it in a drawer. The plate readers handle the billing. I have always had problems finding a location for the tag that read consistently and just gave up. Charges appear on my monthly statement with all discounts applied, so I just don't fight it anymore.

Bingo. Me too. Plus, you can change what vehicle the tag is attached to, this way. I got a new bike, didn't need a new tag.

My toll tag is in my tank bag and it reads just fine (I use the same tag for the automatic gate at my subdivision).

You have your vehicles on your account. You must have $10 in your account, and when it dips below $10 it replentishes itself from your bank account.

You can't move the tags between vehicles because you have to associate that tag with a plate. If the tag doesn't read then they'll read the plate number, look up your account and charge you that way. If your plate number isn't in the system then you'll likely get the bill in the mail. Before they went cashless this was a good way to get an expensive ticket relatively speaking. Easily fixed, but still.

if I under stand it right you have to have $40 for each three so if you have four vehicles you need $80 in there and it charges that when the level goes below $20

I register the bike, get the tag and put it in a drawer. The plate readers handle the billing.

I had one on my GSX-R600. I took the nose fairing and mounted it on the nose. It read every time. Then the bike was stolen. I monitored my account and it was never used. I still have the same tag on my account because they always wanted $25 to replace it. I just keep my current motorcycle plate associated with that tag.

I have 5 of them from here:

http://www.txtag.org/

A sticker for my truck and the bike ones are a little plastic box gadget. It was a lot money getting set up, as there is a pretty hefty refundable deposit on each of bike boxes.

I swore I'd never drive on the toll roads, but they are the way to go if they are going your way, just for the reason you stated--they are much faster.

I have the motorcycle transponder for mine, not the standard car tag. I just leave it in the tank bag and it reads most of the time. The rest of the time the plate gets read. You just have to remember to pull it out of the tank bag if you have the bike in a trailer or truck bed so you don't get changed a toll when you aren't riding.

Instead of the sticker I still have the old box tag. Its about the size of a pack of smokes but half as thick. It's water proof. I don't carry a tank bag so I just keep it in the breast pocket of my jacket. No issues with it reading it. My truck has the sticker type.

I just stick the sticker to my bike windshield. If anyone steals it, the transponder won't match the tag or vehicle description and disputing the tolls will be easy. I've got a sticker on each bike and have never had one fail from rain/cold/etc.

Only pic I have that shows it is on my old wrecked VTX...

fx3Uf.jpg

hmmmm we do have a assortment of hard case tags that have been collecting dust in the lost and found/ abandoned stuff bin at work.

I have old Oklahoma hard tags that they didn't want back after issuing stickers for the cars and a new hard tag for the bike. I turned in my TxTag bike tag when we sold the house in Austin. Here in Colorado they have smaller car stickers than the Oklahoma or TxTag ones and then a different sticker for motorcycles. It is made to go on a headlight but I have had it at the bottom of the windshield on the Sprint and C14 and it works just fine.

Found the time to mount my toll tag today. Right above the headlight inside the fairing.

IMG_0883_zps3e228ecf.jpg

I have mine stuck to the inside of my helmet under the liner so it works with either bike. :) No problems so far.

Found the time to mount my toll tag today. Right above the headlight inside the fairing.

IMG_0883_zps3e228ecf.jpg

For some reason my truck tag didn't read awhile back and set off the light. I got pulled over by the cop sitting there. He had me read the numbers off the back of my tag that was attached to my windshield, He called it in, saw it was legit and sent me on my way. I hope you never set the light off and get pulled over...

For some reason my truck tag didn't read awhile back and set off the light. I got pulled over by the cop sitting there. He had me read the numbers off the back of my tag that was attached to my windshield, He called it in, saw it was legit and sent me on my way. I hope you never set the light off and get pulled over...

I can always look it up online. At least here, if doesn't read, they bill you by your license plate. It appears correctly on my bill complete with 10% discount for having a tag. We have a completely cashless system as of a couple of years ago. The formerly manned booths sit empty.

:ponder:

how odd, they don't have cameras to read plates and bill you later? I don't have a tag, I just pay the bill as it comes in, about $15 a year.:rider:

When the tank bag on my X finally failed I modified the tank bag from my RT to fit both bikes. I've been hauling it in the back of the Explorer, back and forth along the toll ways of Harris county. Today I checked for the first time and was relieved that I was not getting tolled twice with each passing.

Back