• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tube failure around valve stem. KLR650

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
Has anything seen a tube fall around the valve stem? It's only about 2 years old if I remember but it's completely compromised around the base of the valve stem. I have seen the before a few times on my bike but just not sure if it's a tube thing or possibly a tire thing (tubeless)? I was not able to find tube type tires when I replaced them last time and went with tubeless shinko 705s.
Thoughts?

The normal tube problems can cause that pretty easily. Not getting the stem squared up with the hole in the rim, or accidentally getting a piece of the tube pinched ever so slightly between the tire and rim in that area. I’ve seen that happen more times than I can remember. Or just over tightening the valve stem. I’ve also seen a few tubes now and again that were just made wrong and the stem wasn’t centered up on the inside of the tube.

I had two moose heavy duty tubes fail at the stems , both separated from the tube . Now I have tubliss in them .

Reactions: TNC
Yea this is my third failure around the stem and it's definitely a dry rot of some kind. I have wondered if it's extra heat from the tubeless type tire but not sure.

Lot of folks do the tube shake and bake routine before installing. Trash bag with talcum powder...shake tube around in bag. Reduces friction between tire and tube. But yeah, I've had a few tubes that were junk to begin with.

Last edited:
I had two moose heavy duty tubes fail at the stems , both separated from the tube . Now I have tubliss in them .
I'm with you on the Tubliss system. That said, the stem on a tube is the weakest link. Until recently after my career retirement I worked part time as a mechanic at a friend's bike shop. We are seeing more and more weak stem interface problems on new tubes right out of the box. I doubt it's much different for motorcycle tubes. Tubes are ancient technology, and now production quality seems subpar on tubes in some cases.

I do like the tubliss system but they only have it for a front wheel of a KLR (gen 1) and not the rear wheel last time I checked.

Never ever never tighten the tube to the rim with the little nut that comes with most tubes. Put that nut in your jelly jar on your work bench. If you are really smart you will get some Honda rubber stem holders that come on their dirt bikes. A copy can be purchased at Rocky Mtn ATV if a Honda shop is not handy. Or steal them off your buddy's bike. Repeat---never ever never.

I have always run them come to think of it. I just picked up a regular tube from the dealer today so we will see how long it last. I am about ready for new tires and will probably try something else beside the 705s when I do.

Never ever never tighten the tube to the rim with the little nut that comes with most tubes. Put that nut in your jelly jar on your work bench. If you are really smart you will get some Honda rubber stem holders that come on their dirt bikes. A copy can be purchased at Rocky Mtn ATV if a Honda shop is not handy. Or steal them off your buddy's bike. Repeat---never ever never.
Thanks for the advice. Not exactly sure what the rubber stem holder looks like but I have some ideas and will do some research.

I have always run them come to think of it. I just picked up a regular tube from the dealer today so we will see how long it last. I am about ready for new tires and will probably try something else beside the 705s when I do.
The regular ones are easier to install, line up better and last longer. A thorn or nail will go through a HD tube just as easy. I leave the valve core out air it to 20 or so let it out and repeat two more times. I think ti takes any twists out. Low air pressure will rip a valve core if you are getting it. We ran rim locks in MC in the 70's. I always ran 30 psi in rear on my KLR and do the same now on my XR650. 26 to 28 in front and serious gravel will drop to 20. I carry an electric small air compressor.
Good luck Michael.
Always run hand inside tire to check for thorns. Paul had a thorn in his sidewall.

Has anything seen a tube fall around the valve stem? It's only about 2 years old if I remember but it's completely compromised around the base of the valve stem. I have seen the before a few times on my bike but just not sure if it's a tube thing or possibly a tire thing (tubeless)? I was not able to find tube type tires when I replaced them last time and went with tubeless shinko 705s.
Thoughts?
Never had an issue at street pressures. If I run at dirt pressure, a rimlock is needed or the valvestem get torn off in a ride or 2. They make tire changes a ***** though, I like the tubebliss kit. Have had it in my KLX since new.

Have had two valve stem leaks on two different st1100 tubeless, front and a rear.

I 2nd the motion of garbage manufacturing with inferior materials. Look back 30 years and old trailer tires lasted forever, different compounds I assume. Manufacturers had to sell more tires.

Two years is a long time for a tube in a rear KLR tire.
I usually only mount IRC and Bridgestone tubes.
I also use my old Honda valve stem grommets.
Use baby powder to let the tube settle and I also use rim locks so I can air down to 8psi for sand.
Water likes to creep in the valve hole in the rim. That’ll create rust on the valve stem and corrode the tube. Also make sure you’re leaving one of the two valve nuts under the rim. That helps keep the valve hat from moving.
Good fortune to you.

Attachments

• IMG_6990.jpeg
    IMG_6990.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 32
Two years is a long time for a tube in a rear KLR tire.
I usually only mount IRC and Bridgestone tubes.
I also use my old Honda valve stem grommets.
Use baby powder to let the tube settle and I also use rim locks so I can air down to 8psi for sand.
Water likes to creep in the valve hole in the rim. That’ll create rust on the valve stem and corrode the tube. Also make sure you’re leaving one of the two valve nuts under the rim. That helps keep the valve hat from moving.
Good fortune to you.
The conical washer sits over the inner tube valve stem and should follow the contour of the valve so that the convex side sits against the wheel rim when fitting.

Once fitted to the wheel the two lock nuts sit on the valve cap side of the wheel rim. After fitment and inflation to the correct pressure, the two nuts should be backed up towards the valve cap, and locked against each other.
This is the method recommended by at least 2 major tube/tire manufacturers. Right or wrong there are different ways to do things.

Just changed three tubes for a friend who did exactly what you mentioned.
The valve hat was off on each tube and the valve stem ripped off two, half off in the third.
There’s more than two ways to mount a tube.
But only one way that manufacturers recommend that work.
I don’t have valve stem issues on any Moto’s, especially on the KLRs I’ve had.
I change tires for local guys for $10 because it only takes a few minutes. It’s free if they use my tools and instruction. And the method I mentioned is the way I’ve been doing it for 45+years.
I also don’t use Tubless because they fail, and they’re not DOT rated unless that come from the factory. HTH

Attachments

• IMG_6979.jpeg
    IMG_6979.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 38
tire slippage/rotation on the rim due to either low pressure or improperly seated tires

as the tire slips/rotates on the rim the tube goes with it and the stem resists

tublless tires "typically" have a different bead design from tube types ... ¿ improperly seated therefore slippage ?

running off road pressures can also cause the same situation

a RIM LOCK located opposite the stem can reduce if knot eliminate this problem

in the olden days we used2 drill n tap the sides of the rim for sheet metal screws(3-5) thru both sides of the rim and justa hair into the rubber bead of the tyres did a real well job also

keep a good tight fitting rim strip between the tyre and the spoke heads too

giggle "motorcycle tire rim lock" and look at the pics and the videos

BON CHANCE

sw

Well i finally got around to getting a new tube put in so we did a modified shake and bake and used silicon spray instead. We put it in the tube and inflated/deflated a few times to make it was seated and straight. We then spooned on the tire and inflated/deflated a few more times. It is holding well and took a nice ride around the property this evening. I'm going to get some new tires order with new tubes soon and set up my second set of rims. I can then just swap them over when I am ready.
Thanks for the advice.
(Pardon my bike lift. My wife walked in the garage and asked why I don't have a lift considering how many years I have worked on bikes. I think that means I have permission??)
IMG_20230926_180534255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230926_180549224.jpg

IMG_20230926_180800758.jpg

IMG_20230926_181110642_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230926_181231862_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230926_181447063.jpg

(Pardon my bike lift. My wife walked in the garage and asked why I don't have a lift considering how many years I have worked on bikes. I think that means I have permission

That is EXACTLY what it means

Go for it and let us all know how it goes

Back