• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Used Motorcycle Panniers Wanted

Reaction score
OK, I am a little shocked by the price of side panniers for my 2022 T7. So, I am trying to re-think this a bit. Does anyone have any good quality used panniers that they are not using? I am leaning towards the smaller ones (35L / 31L) since I don’t have a monster motorcycle. I plan on using them off-road, so they need to be able to durable. Since I plan on scratching them, I am not looking for perfect specimens.

I will need model numbers to purchase a rack that will fit a T7. Also, I am in Houston.

Thanks

You can pair these with just about anything. From Tusk boxes to soft bags. For off-road, I really like soft bags. They won't crack or get crushed or crush your leg.
I have Dirt Racks front and rear on my KLR (profile pic) and they've been great. A few small drops and no issues.

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of these:

If you want to use off road, soft bags are better!

Can’t help on used, but the Nelson Rigg Hurricane soft bags are amazing and shockingly affordable. Probably the best value out there on soft bags.

My wife is the moto accessory queen, and she's been poking around for luggage for my Africa Twin. I don't even want it yet, cause when I tour I ride the RT, but shes studying up anyway. She says 1) tusk racks, and perhaps if not hard bags then 2) Nelson Rigs that have been a favorite of ours from their beginnings many years ago. I've still got some of their stuff in the boxes upstairs. My guess is they are now simply an importer of cheaply made Chino stuff , but I have not looked into it and maybe its halfway decent. If I tour, I prefer hard bags for security, and I don't fall down (very often) :-)

...just throwin this info out there....but it may give someone an idea
...have had them mounted on a Tenere [1200] a Africa Twin and a Tiger 900
...have used cross country and they have been great.
Givi Outback Trekker....37 liter size [not the biggest model]
Givi Trekker Outback 37L Left & Right Pair Aluminum Sidecases
[pic below of'em on the Tenere

Attachments

• '17 Tenere....jpg
    '17 Tenere....jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have the SW Motech racks on mine with Kriega OS soft panniers. They've but seen a lot of use, but I like them. I went with the tracks because they're the narrowest from what I could see. I also went with these bags as I could get offset sizing to keep r clearance in each side more similar.

Attachments

• PXL_20210723_010649859.jpg
    PXL_20210723_010649859.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210723_010059352.jpg
    PXL_20210723_010059352.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210723_010707001~2.jpg
    PXL_20210723_010707001~2.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20210709_220725806.jpg
    PXL_20210709_220725806.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 66
Sent you a PM. I have a set of (un)used Nelson Rigg sierra bags that I bought for a trip that was permanently postponed by the pandemic. Let me know if they might be of any interest to you.

Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions. I also received a couple of very good offers via private message.

I ended up going with the Tusk Pannier Racks, aluminum panniers medium, with top rack for $520. With the handles and box lines, I was in for $622 including tax from Rocky Mountain. Maybe not as refined as other options, but fits my needs a budgets.

Measure & mock up twice, drill once! Enjoy the Tusk parts. My DR650 is like a Tusk catalogue build.

I know panniers are convenient to have, but
are u sure you want panniers for offroad ?
Once panniers get repeatedly bounced around and/or dropped on , don't even matter if they're top of the line jesse cases, they're going to cause problems w/ not closing right, breaks at the mounts , breaking your leg, etc...
Good question Dao and something I have thought about a bit. Yes, I want panniers that can handle off-road for things like a BDR or traveling on gravel / dirt road (nothing to crazy). If something gets real crazy, maybe I would have to take them off to get around an obstacle.

However, if I want to do a trail that is really technical, I figure I will leave the panniers in camp or at the motel room (not on the bike). An out and back.

So, to me, the advantages of hard pannier is they are very secure and you can easily stack other things on top of them. Yes, they might be a liability on really technical areas.

Also, I went with the smaller panniers (~27L). I think the larger panniers would be harder to navigate and overwhelm my motorcycle.

The correct answer (and easy to do with the Tusk rack) is to have both a hard pannier setup and a soft bag setup.

For a T7 you'll want to at least carry spare tubes, tire irons, an air compressor, and other items to repair/replace a tube on the road or trail.

For a T7 you'll want to at least carry spare tubes, tire irons, an air compressor, and other items to repair/replace a tube on the road or trail.

That all needs to be carried on any bike.. It shay needs to be carried regardless of whether or not panniers of any kind are on the bike. I use a tail bag on my Africa Twin and used Giant Loop Mojave bags on my DR since it didn't have a pannier setup. I only got stranded with a flat once. Never again.

That all needs to be carried on any bike.. It shay needs to be carried regardless of whether or not panniers of any kind are on the bike. I use a tail bag on my Africa Twin and used Giant Loop Mojave bags on my DR since it didn't have a pannier setup. I only got stranded with a flat once. Never again.
True. Always be prepared to self-rescue! Don't forget a LifeStraw!

True. Always be prepared to self-rescue! Don't forget a LifeStraw!

I'd recommend a Sawyer mini over a Life straw, but I don't carry one on the bike. Maybe I should. What I do carry that might seem a little odd is a little camping roll of toilet paper. I have an irritable bowel so it's just prudent. Fortunately I've yet to need it!

OK, I got my tusk pannier and really like them.

Next question. Any recommendations on tool boxes to attached to the non-exhaust side (left). I would like something that goes onto the the inside the pannier racks.

I have looked at the following:

Looks good, but not sure exactly what it attaches to on the bike under the fender. https://www.overlandadventure.com/mytech-accessories/LU 111041.html

Kind of cheap: https://www.amazon.com/MOTO4U-Motor...55&sprefix=motorcycle+tool+box,aps,131&sr=8-4

Does not seem to be waterproof or fit a T&: https://www.amazon.com/LKV-R1200GS-...refix=motorcycle+tool+box+tusk,aps,170&sr=1-1

Sent you a PM. I have a set of (un)used Nelson Rigg sierra bags that I bought for a trip that was permanently postponed by the pandemic. Let me know if they might be of any interest to you.
If the original poster did not buy them I may be intetested.

I like metal secure boxes for the distances I travel and security. Plus I dont go into crazy off road stuff on a 500# bike and fall down on my leg...

Back