• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

::: Vietnam - Father and son for a weekend short ride

Reaction score
First trip with my son.
It's just a planned short round trip - around less than 300km all-in, for two days, from HCMC to Vungtau - a seaside city.

Rode from my house directly to the motorcycle shop to get his best fit jacket - sort of funny preparation huh - but it works :lol2:.

Out of the city around noon time. Too hot the weather. My son sounds really excited and enjoy the trip.

Stopped at the lunch place:

DSC03198_zpsb6065d5d.jpg

Quite well loaded bike of us - and you can see my son's ripstik, his favorite playing kit.

DSC03192_zps0da6f049.jpg

Had a good lunch there:

DSC03193_zps9e9b66e1.jpg

See how we enjoy the rest time after lunch:

DSC03190_zps4bb5edaf.jpg

DSC03196_zps3cb68646.jpg

Nice bike, your son looks happy to be out with you.
Thank you. It's cheapest GS among TWT's :lol2:.
My wife was uncomfortable when I said kid would go with me for a ride. But the kid was really excited, he kept asking me when would we depart all the time :rofl: Well, we managed to get on the road as you see in the report.

I think I had never had any longer lunch rest during my ride ;-)
We hit the road after almost 2hours since stopped. :trust:
Well, as soon as it made my son feel comfortable and ready to be on the saddle again.

Rode for another 50km, we had another stop, hmm, it's really short one, just around 10mins.
Look at his face, sounds okay, right?

DSC03200_zpsd94fa14d.jpg

Reached friend's house around 3PM.
Then my son soon hooked up with my friend's kid to play their things, and of course, without any health issue:

DSC03203_zps9b66af5f.jpg

DSC03218_zps95cdef0c.jpg

Friend tried my son's ripstik and he 's practicing stoppie:

DSC03207_zpsb7af1da0.jpg

I think it is great that he likes to ride!

I think it is great that he likes to ride!
You are right. It's not easy to get the one who doesn't like to ride sitting on the saddle for hours.

------

Said good bye to friends, we headed back home:
DSC03220_zpsf73b5cab.jpg

As usual, another stop at the middle of the road, beside a small field, where we saw kid flying kites.
DSC03226_zpsd37982ea.jpg

Really fun game for kids:
DSC03232_zps124d2369.jpg

I still remember when I was shooling, play this all the time.
My son seemed love to back to hometown, where he goes back every summer:

DSC03236_zpsc152cb73.jpg

DSC03235_zpsf4ab0281.jpg

DSC03224_zps5bb870c8.jpg

Ah - nice ride out to Vũng Tàu. Nice fresh seafood - and more fun than riding on the hydrofoil. Great that your son likes to ride with you!

Ah - nice ride out to Vũng Tàu. Nice fresh seafood - and more fun than riding on the hydrofoil. Great that your son likes to ride with you!

Thanks.
Sorry for not having seaview or seafood pix coz I just being there to attend my friend's new house celebration party.
FYI, there was a ferry sank during the way from HCMC to Vungtau, then now they suspended all the ferry on this course for investigation and law enforcement.
Expected to get this back online next month.
Now there is another highway (well, really a highway) which cost you 1hr and 20mins from HCMC to Vungtau (unlike before, 2-3hrs)

Cool! :clap:

So how did the gear for your son work? Is it mostly dirt riding gear?

Cool! :clap:

So how did the gear for your son work? Is it mostly dirt riding gear?

Thanks.
Well, the helmet you know already, Arai XD3.
Leather boots, they are okay for street and dirt.
No riding pants, he used normal jeans with long and flexible knee protectors.
Komine air stream mesh jacket (JK - 044) - a JAP name, made in Indonesia - good for street and adventure. Really cool with Vietnam weather.

new-arrival-komine-jk-044-knight-service.jpg

He felt good with such combination of gears. Just the AraiXD, he doesn't like the D-ring, because it is too complicated to take off.
He once said the boots are hot, but then he did not wear them too tight, all fine.

Left the kite site, we went for rolling approx 40km more until my son pointed me some kids were playing football on the road side.
I turned the bike in for him to watch for a while:

DSC03244_zpsdbca0db7.jpg

It's not a proper football court, as usual and you can easily find in Vietnam :) . And you may notice most of them played without shoes. If it was not too late, then my boy could jump in to have some fun with them:

DSC03245_zps320305d5.jpg

Nearer to HCMC, we had to pass the river by ferry.
See the long queue at the ferry:

DSC03248_zpsdf50b0b7.jpg

Not too long sitting still there, got onto the ferry around 10mins and got jammed like this:

DSC03251_zps7bb45cc7.jpg

Well, it was late afternoon, and on the river, so it was pretty cool. My son even did not need to take off his helmet.
Still have fun with the scenery:

DSC03250_zpsab16131b.jpg

Homed when the sun was already down. I felt good. My boy still excited about the trip and wanted for more.... And the mom, said nothing but asked him to rest. ;)

DSC03252_zps4480cba1.jpg

Yes, boy, more to come.

Keep them coming.

I think that is the Phu My bridge in the sunset picture. Am I right?

How old is he?

Is there a helmet law there? I think I saw maybe two people not wearing a helmet in those ferry shots.

How old is he?

Is there a helmet law there? I think I saw maybe two people not wearing a helmet in those ferry shots.
My boy is 10.
Helmet law is available and it pretty strict. The minimum fine for not wearing helmet is just abt $15. Helmet quality had not been considered seriously, however they are now start to look at manufacturer and the seller first.
Those guys you see without helmet may be they took the helmet off during waiting for / onthe ferry.

Back