• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on out at GrandPaul's Place?

Here are the bottom lines...

ZRX 1200ADV Specifications
Double upper yoke - Lowers forks 1-1/8" inch for increased ground clearance
Inverted chain adjuster eccentrics - Raises rear end 1" for increased ground clearance
Extended length O-ring chain - Required when inverting chain adjusters
Auto chain tensioner - Required to maintain extended chain tension
Shallow oil sump pan - Increases ground clearance by 2" at drain plug
Muzzy 4-into-2 exhaust system w/ D&D muffler - Better performance, increased ground clearance by 1-1/2"
Custom steel bash plate - Protects headers & sump pan
Rubber fork gaiters - Protect fork tubes from stone chips
Front fender risers - Allow for taller front tire & debris clearance
Custom fairing & windscreen - Increased weather and hand protection
Saddlebags & tank-topper - Luggage capacity without bungees
Shinko Adventure pattern tires - Taller sidewall profile for better clearance, multi-surface tread

Last edited:
Yesterday was good and bad.

Job 1: Install the H.F. Tire "changer" (basically just a bead breaker, out of the box). Assembled using AV grade nyloc nuts that I had on hand. They were too cheap to include nylocs or even lock washers! Anchored using (4) 3/8" lag anchors, near the corner of the hangar door; it's not going to budge!

Wait.... WHAT???? I thought it was a big boy toy?

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

The unit doesn't come with any implements, so I scrounged up my crowbars and long pry bar. You have to stop the wheel from spinning by wedging a crowbar (or something) between the spokes and the frame & handle.

IMG_0186.JPG

This was only a test, it worked without too much fuss.

Here's the question of the day:

What does this pin do???

IMG_0177.JPG

Maybe for some other attachment?

Baby steps, due to the ranch being 32 miles away, and also due to unusually long waits for e-bay parts...

Tires are done. Overall added almost an inch to the ground clearance.

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

Front tire was a real bugger to get to seat. The shop nearby had this cool gizmo that did the trick, I need to get me one!

IMG_0235.JPG

The operator pulls the valve stem then connects high pressure air to the stem, pulls the tire toward him, then aims this high pressure jet at the open bead and turns the 1/4 turn handle... BAM! Done.

I got the exhaust swap done, and installed the frame sliders today. Lots of work. Had to slot one bolt hole on each manifold clamp to get it all to work, then swapped the D&D muffler (badly scratched up) for a nearly identical "no brand" one that I've had on my shelves for 6 or 8 years! Started to play with the shovel and clamps, but it was getting drizzly and dark...

Round up the tools, and get comfortable...

IMG_0255.JPG

Probably the easiest thing to remove on this bike...

IMG_0257.JPG

All done!

IMG_0262.JPG

I thought I'd get more ground clearance, but the (2) 2-into-1 collectors are STACKED, not side-by side. Oh well, I did lose about 30 pounds of WEIGHT, and did gain a bit more clearance... Previously 5-3/4", now right at 7" at least 1/4" of that is the difference in the exhaust, so it DID add SOMETHING...

I will need to re-jet to get cleaner running at all speeds; not looking forward to that...

IMG_0260.JPG

I thought you were putting a 19" front wheel on. Anyway, lookin' good! Must be nice to make progress on a project so quickly.

I got the exhaust swap done, and installed the frame sliders today. Lots of work. Had to slot one bolt hole on each manifold clamp to get it all to work, then swapped the D&D muffler (badly scratched up) for a nearly identical "no brand" one that I've had on my shelves for 6 or 8 years! Started to play with the shovel and clamps, but it was getting drizzly and dark...

Round up the tools, and get comfortable...

View attachment 373392

Probably the easiest thing to remove on this bike...

View attachment 373393

All done!

View attachment 373394

I thought I'd get more ground clearance, but the (2) 2-into-1 collectors are STACKED, not side-by side. Oh well, I did lose about 30 pounds of WEIGHT, and did gain a bit more clearance... Previously 5-3/4", now right at 7" at least 1/4" of that is the difference in the exhaust, so it DID add SOMETHING...

I will need to re-jet to get cleaner running at all speeds; not looking forward to that...

View attachment 373395
I like it. Bash a big rock and that exhaust clearance will improve.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what happens to me, except its while feeding one vs. The udder, a virtual food compactor.

A whole heckuva lotta jigsaw-puzzle work to get the one red tail piece off an '06 Moto Guzzi Breva V1100. take off rack, take off sub-rack, unscrew 8 other parts to get to two hidden screws, 2 dozen fasteners in all, 4 different allen wrenches, and finally it comes off!

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

All the new parts are on the way!

Back