• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on with 2023 KTMs? Piston Failures??

Reaction score
Hey y'all!
Alright could anybody give the long and skinny of what's going on with 2023 KTM dirt bikes?? I've been seeing some Youtube kerfuffle about pistons shattering/exploding in some of the 300 TPI models?
Anybody else hear about this? If so, is it just with the 2-strokes? Reason I'm asking/concerned is I'm planning on getting either a 350 EXC or 500 EXC very soon - don't wanna run into similar issues if the failures are extending into other models/ 4-strokes as well.

Here's just one short youtube vid of a guy repairing his, but I've seen other people saying similar:

This might shed some light (click the "watch on YouTube"):

Hey y'all!
Alright could anybody give the long and skinny of what's going on with 2023 KTM dirt bikes?? I've been seeing some Youtube kerfuffle about pistons shattering/exploding in some of the 300 TPI models?
Anybody else hear about this? If so, is it just with the 2-strokes? Reason I'm asking/concerned is I'm planning on getting either a 350 EXC or 500 EXC very soon - don't wanna run into similar issues if the failures are extending into other models/ 4-strokes as well.

Here's just one short youtube vid of a guy repairing his, but I've seen other people saying similar:
Love the username!

I don’t click on YouTube crap but I do work on lots of different stuff , several years ago a ran into a rash of bad pistons in stihl cutoff saws , the pin that keeps the rings from rotating would fall out of the piston and as soon as the ring rotated into the piston port it was motor over . Snapped all the rings off and broke a few piston . Getting one warranted was a joke but I could buy a chinese piston and cylinder kit for around 75 bucks and never had another failure . I’ve seen lots of extreamly sub par parts come from germany so don’t believe them when they tell you how perfect they are . They wernt aware of any failures . In a years time I probably repaired 10 of them from the contractor that probably has 25 on jobsites . A 50% percent failure rate is not very good and they obviously found the problem and fixed it because no problem since .

Hey y'all!

@GSTJOHN familiar with this?
There are a lot of TPI bikes with various issues...some user created. I think that's why they've simplified by going the TBI route. I
never thought replacing an oil pump should be part of your maintenance schedule.
As for crossover to 4stroke models or any other models to have similar failures. That would be a stretch as they don't share
the same internals. The YouTube you referred to indicated a 300 exc . Not sure what country that is available in no 23 EXC's
in the U.S.
I doubt almost everything I hear and believe 50% of what I see.
Finally, We only see the people that are having problems..I've had issues with some of my previous KTM's but
nothing catastrophic. Hoping this helps.
You're welcome to message me.

Hey y'all!

You're interested in a 350/500 (4 banger), 2 of the most reliable bikes ever made by KTM.

Always had great luck with my 4 stroke KTMs . Currently on a '19 350. Love it. It's a do it all for my needs. No issues other than what I cause by putting it in places above what it was designed for.

Always had great luck with my 4 stroke KTMs . Currently on a '19 350. Love it. It's a do it all for my needs. No issues other than what I cause by putting it in places above what it was designed for.
You take the 350 to Emma?

The highway? lol

I don’t know much about dirt bikes but I thought a 350 was ideal for most, if not all, small dirt bike needs. Unless you mean stuff for trails bikes?

Im curious because I’ve been thinking about getting a 350 myself to learn to off-road in the parks near Austin.

There are a lot of TPI bikes with various issues...some user created. I think that's why they've simplified by going the TBI route. I
never thought replacing an oil pump should be part of your maintenance schedule.
As for crossover to 4stroke models or any other models to have similar failures. That would be a stretch as they don't share
the same internals. The YouTube you referred to indicated a 300 exc . Not sure what country that is available in no 23 EXC's
in the U.S.
I doubt almost everything I hear and believe 50% of what I see.
Finally, We only see the people that are having problems..I've had issues with some of my previous KTM's but
nothing catastrophic. Hoping this helps.
You're welcome to message me.
You nailed it. I learned from a very knowledgeable and reliable source that it's all related to their TPI design, which is exactly why they're tossing it. He straight up told me not to buy a TPI bike. He said even getting them properly set up to race (or even ride enjoyably for that matter) cost a fortune, having to buy a new tunable ECU and also upgrade the trash suspension they're now using. He said around $1.5k~$2k is what it cost to make things right and reliable.

I took his advice come time to replace my 2013 350 by going with another 350. I was however still faced with having to upgrade the trash suspension.

You nailed it. I learned from a very knowledgeable and reliable source that it's all related to their TPI design, which is exactly why they're tossing it. He straight up told me not to buy a TPI bike. He said even getting them properly set up to race (or even ride enjoyably for that matter) cost a fortune, having to buy a new tunable ECU and also upgrade the trash suspension they're now using. He said around $1.5k~$2k is what it cost to make things right and reliable.

I took his advice come time to replace my 2013 350 by going with another 350. I was however still faced with having to upgrade the trash suspension.
The suspension has been getting better every year...Have a 22 350 now and it only requires air and clicker adjustments for my limited riding ability.

The suspension has been getting better every year...Have a 22 350 now and it only requires air and clicker adjustments for my limited riding ability.
This '20 model XCF-W came with their Xplor open cartridge forks that have compression and rebound separated to each fork. The compression damping cartridge design (no shims) is crap. I couldn't get it to work properly at all. Had to convert the forks back to a traditional setup to get things right.

You take the 350 to Emma?

The highway? lol

I don’t know much about dirt bikes but I thought a 350 was ideal for most, if not all, small dirt bike needs. Unless you mean stuff for trails bikes?

Im curious because I’ve been thinking about getting a 350 myself to learn to off-road in the parks near Austin.
The 350 is a great all around bike. BUT, if you're going to be doing any crazy hard enduro stuff (like gnarly highly technical rock climbing) you'll wish for a lighter bike.

This '20 model XCF-W came with their Xplor open cartridge forks that have compression and rebound separated to each fork. The compression damping cartridge design (no shims) is crap. I couldn't get it to work properly at all. Had to convert the forks back to a traditional setup to get things right.
Only familiar with the Xact Forks on the FX/TX/XC that being said the KYB's on my little Yamaha just needed to be softened up and they were awesome
compared to the Austrian stuff.

if you're going to be doing any crazy hard enduro stuff (like gnarly highly technical rock climbing) you'll wish for a lighter bike.
Understand that hence the question but also think him or his buddy has done it on their 650!

if you're going to be doing any crazy hard enduro stuff (like gnarly highly technical rock climbing) you'll wish for a lighter bike
943E8EF5-90C0-4F68-BC6D-F587CD961E98.jpeg

Understand that hence the question but also think him or his buddy has done it on their 650!
Emma Long is not the crazy hard technical stuff I'm referring to. Emma Long is cake by comparison to what I was referring to.

Emma Long is not the crazy hard technical stuff I'm referring to. Emma Long is cake by comparison to what I was referring to.
Sorry, not cake for all. And my original question was specifically about Emma.

My 450 Beta loves technical nasty rocks , or anything else you point it at , only thing I’ve ever ridden that did better was a trials bike . this year everything fell into place and I put that bike places I haven’t been in 30 years on a bike and had a blast doing it . Pumped and already getting it ready for next summer .

Back