• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where am I? (Can you place this picture...?)

How bout this one

IMG0496-XL.jpg

That's in Comfort Texas, the Treue der Union Monument, commemorating an incident that occurred during the civil war when residents opposed secussion from the union. A largely unknown event outside the area, up to 150 locals were killed because they refused to swear an oath to the Confederacy.

Depot-2.jpg

This depot is still used by the railroad. This is the backside facing away from the tracks.

Looks like the same architect/contractor was quite busy building jail-houses in the 1890's. :trust:

I recently stopped to check out this "functional" fountain erected in 1913 with 6 drinking outlets: 2 large ones for horses, 2 small ones a little lower for us folks and 2 smaller ones down low for dogs (which you can barely see over the license plate). Where was I?

get-photo.asp

Jefferson is correct -- the Carnegie Library is in the background. It appears the water level in the horse and dog bowls was maintained by a float valve. I did take Maddie the sidecar dog up there last year for a drink of rainwater standing in the dog bowl -- but forgot the camera that time. :doh:

Where to next?

We're going far to the west of Jefferson. This is an old railroad depot which still stands near the old road bed sans rails. Looks like it won't be around much longer unless something is done pretty quickly to stabilize it.

Depot-3.jpg

Depot2.jpg

Roadbed.jpg

There are a tremendous number of building such as this rotting away in west Texas as the small towns fade into dust.

Benjamin, Texas

Indeed it is. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient struggled for years without ever reaching Kansas City, mexico or a deep water port with access to the Orient. It did make it to Oklahoma though. It wasn't even one railroad, but three discontigious sections that never connected.

Back