• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Texas Alps - TWT Goes to Colorado

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
See, it really is part of TX...or was! :-)

The northern and western boundaries of the Republic of Texas were very different from present day Texas and included the following areas. From the mouth of the Sabine River north to the 32nd parallel, then due north to the Red River, west to the 100th meridian, north to the Arkansas River and present day Dodge City, Kansas, then west to the headwaters of the Arkansas River near present day Leadville, Colorado and then north to the 42nd parallel, near present day Rawlins, Wyoming. From Silverton, Colorado the western and southern boundary then followed the course of the Rio Grande River.

It's seems that quite a lot of us make the pilgrimage to Colorado every summer for a week or more of riding. There's so much to hit with massive riding areas in Taylor Park, Sargents, FourMile, Tomichi, Rampart, Routt NF, etc., etc., etc. Whether you're into hard enduro, mild trail riding, dual sport, road crusing, single-track, pass-bagging, hot spring soaking (yes please), or canyon carving - there is something for everyone.

Views like these keep us coming back...

Above Cement Creek and Crested Butte South

American Flag Mtn near Taylor Park

On Italian Creek Rd.

Okay, now that I have your appetite worked up.

Who is interested in the 1st Annual Texas Alps?
__

DETAILS

What: Central location to meet and ride from each day. Coordinate getting there from TX, share supplies, make sure everybody shows up at camp each night, safety in numbers, etc.
What are you responsible for?: everything you would if you were on your own, but there are other people to meet up with and join for a days ride or two or seven
How long will it last: 1 week (Sat-Sat),
When: July 20th - 27th
Who: Dual-Sport, Dirt, Single Track - something for everyone
Where: Dispersed camping near Spring Creek Reservoir - Improved campsites nearby at Mosca. Several more to the South on Taylor River Road.
Cost to attend: $0. It's kind of a non-rally, rally kind of idea.
Best map: Latitude 40 Crested Butte Aspen Gunnison OR Crested Butte, Taylor Park Trails

You'd be responsible for yourself, but would find a like-minded group of Texans in the area to enjoy a communal camp-fire each night. Heck, I might even figure out a small film contest or some campfire prizes if this gets going. I have a generator and a digital projector.

In list...

PigTrail - Richard
Mrs. PigTrail - Heather
_ RG _

Coming down American Flag Mountain. Yes, the rider in the front has on a tutu.

If the idea of riding motorcycles in the Texas Alps doesn't sound like fun to you I can always bring one of these to camp...

Last edited:
I might be in for this. Already have 3 group rides on the calendar there for the last two weeks of July. Gunnison, Silverton and Ouray bases. Planned on riding the adv bike but instead could plate the 2 strokes and trailer out if my son is free to join.

August could work also, just not the first week.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

See, it really is part of TX...or was! :-)

View attachment 230762

The northern and western boundaries of the Republic of Texas were very different from present day Texas and included the following areas. From the mouth of the Sabine River north to the 32nd parallel, then due north to the Red River, west to the 100th meridian, north to the Arkansas River and present day Dodge City, Kansas, then west to the headwaters of the Arkansas River near present day Leadville, Colorado and then north to the 42nd parallel, near present day Rawlins, Wyoming. From Silverton, Colorado the western and southern boundary then followed the course of the Rio Grande River.

It's seems that quite a lot of us make the pilgrimage to Colorado every summer for a week or more of riding. There's so much to hit with massive riding areas in Taylor Park, Sargents, FourMile, Tomichi, Rampart, Routt NF, etc., etc., etc. Whether you're into hard enduro, mild trail riding, dual sport, road crusing, single-track, pass-bagging, hot spring soaking (yes please), or canyon carving - there is something for everyone.

Views like these keep us coming back...

Ophir Pass
View attachment 230763

Near Ouray
View attachment 230764

Above Cement Creek and Crested Butte South
View attachment 230765

Near Sargents
View attachment 230766

American Flag Mtn near Taylor Park
View attachment 230767

Lake near Telluride with lots of camp spots
View attachment 230768

Imogene Pass Road
View attachment 230769

Okay, now that I have your appetite worked up.

Who is interested in the 1st Annual Texas Alps?

What: Central location to meet and ride from each day. Coordinate getting there from TX, share supplies, make sure everybody shows up at camp each night, safety in numbers, etc.
What are you responsible for?: everything you would if you were on your own, but there are other people to meet up with and join for a days ride or two or seven
How long will it last: 1 week (prob Sun-Sat)
When: Late July or early August - with the heavy snows during the '18-'19 winter I expect it will be late July before many of the passes are open
Who: Pavement, Dual-Sport, Dirt, Single Track - something for everyone
Where: TBD, but likely San Juans or Central Mtns (think Taylor Park or Sargents)
Cost to attend: $0. It's kind of a non-rally, rally kind of idea.

Goal would be to meet in a central location and form up groups each day for a ride. Location would likely be in the San Juans or Central Mountains (think TP, CB, or Sargents). We'd pick a location with a mix of cabins, dispersed camping spots, gas, access to trails, great ds roads, and pavement directly from town or camp and have a central camp area.

You'd be responsible for yourself, but would find a like-minded group of Texans in the area to enjoy a communal camp-fire each night. Heck, I might even figure out a small film contest or some campfire prizes if this gets going.

Take this as an exploratory notice. Who's interested? Any ideas? Willing to help organize?

If the idea of riding motorcycles in the Texas Alps doesn't sound like fun to you I can always bring one of these to camp...

View attachment 230770

I’ve seen Jetske‘s in that lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be in the neighborhood (all over) from early till late.

Sargents is a fun spot for the adventurous off-road crew and one of my favorite rides but facilities are really limited. Tomichi Creek is pretty much it - and they know it. Either Gunnison to the west or Salida to the east (over Monarch pass) - both a long ride from Sargents. A smaller group might work at Tomichi for a week. Salida has the Rainbow trail and then there's the Monarch Crest trail - both superb riding. Course, there's other stuff too. Might consider Salida...

Taylor Park - pretty much set up for this kind of thing. It may be familiar territory for a lot of us but, hey, it's still TP. Most trails are well known so it's not like you have to ride with a local or know the right tree to turn by. Lot of campgrounds along the river south of the lake for folks not inclined to crowds around the store. Still some dispersed camping around. DualSport loops can be done to little towns like Tincup, Pitkin etc. Gunnison and Hartman Rocks ain't that far.

Crested Butte - $$$$. Cement Creek area south of town is prime single track. The ride out Gothic road toward Marble is spectacular (understatement) but NOT for bigger bikes or the timid on smaller bikes (really just the Devil's Punch bowl stretch is the rough part). CB is a cool little town and has all the bases covered but they don't really handle camping nor RV's well. Ski lodge town.

The Alpine Loop area (Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, Telluride) Been there, done that, have both cap and t-shirt, can draw you a map. Facilities? Yes. Riding? Yep. If you haven't ridden there then by all means do so. The crowds and quads have pretty much done it for me. Colorado has so much more to offer. Yes, there is some awesome single track around but you have to ride in every direction to get to it.

Creede - hmmm... different territory. There's some stuff around there (including the rear brake pads and pins off my 530). RMEC enduro trails. Not that far over to Lake City and the Alpine Trail (not the loop). And, there's a really good ice cream shop in town.

Y'all figure out what you want to do. I'll be part of it.

So, I lived on Sugarloaf Rd., off of Four Mile, for many years. Its a great locals day area, unless you know the single track take offs the locals use. In the heat of the season you may see three to 10 riders all day. Most of CO is like that. Whats the plan? The areas descibed are mile apart. Riding CO requires a guide. I know a couple people out ther who know every trail and road for about three states out there, and could put a perfect ride together ... My bud runs into Malcom Smith annually in the leadville area way up high. Both of em should be shamed for riding alone :-).

Guides do help. I lived in Colorado for several years and spent the shoulder seasons in Utah. All the photos above are mine except for the 1800's map. I also make maps for a living and have done a fair bit of geologic field work in CO and Utah. :thumb: If there's interest I can help DS focused riders put together some epic loops if you want any suggestions.

Heather and I have settled on July 20-27. We plan to depart TX on Friday the 19th and make a week long camp near Spring Creek Reservoir from the 20th-27th. It's West of Taylor Park, just North of Almont, or almost due east of CB. With Dr. Park, Star Tr, the trails around Cement Creek, and maybe a day dash to Aspen for lunch over Taylor pass...we will stay busy. :rider: Thread updated above. Join up. It'll be fun.

Last edited:
Excellent choice! I stayed just south of Spring Ck. res. for a couple weeks last summer. Had no issue with crowds at all. Good riding in all directions with some proper dual sport tracks too. This should appeal to anyone who's wanted to ride the Rockies.

Things were pretty dry last summer as the res shows. Should be way better this summer.
Spring Creek Res.

Last edited:
RG mentioned Rainbow Trail
P1000387.jpg

doesn't that sound like a nice, easy, snoopy ride?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....shhhhhhhhhidddddddd
P1000327.jpg

P1000328.jpg

Added link above to a google-map of dispersed sites near Spring Creek Reservoir as well as an "In" list.

Indeed, Rainbow Trail is a ton of fun and those side hills will keep you on your toes! I like it better once you cross 285 heading N out of Salida. We've done a couple of hotel'n'ride trips out of Salida. Good pancake place near the trail-head in town...and the burger place down by the river, The Fritz, is excellent. :eat:

Keeping my eye on this because I may actually have vacation time set to be off that week or the following, not sure.
Knowning the organizers or other riders already have experience with the area is splendid.

It's been a long time since wehave ridden togther. This sure sounds fun.
Unfortunately, I am going to be up there at the beginning of June.
Maybe I can make the 2nd annual trip!

After several years of being incapacitated, my 690 is back amongst the living!

Visit Taylor Park all the time. Great trails, especially single track. In August we started in Trinidad and rode single track to Telluride.232736

Was a Hoot!

I always love riding in Colorado, take my wife and daughters and we ride the passes, try the COBDR route, its a lot of fun also!!

Gary

don't forget your Butler Colorado Map

i sure miss that part of our country

sw

I saw there is a lot of big bike friendly passes/etc such as the Alpine loop, is there comparative big bike friendly around Crested Butte that I could split a week between the two areas?
I've done some research on it but of course I see more small bike talk than bigger.

I have always enjoyed riding the big bike from Crested Butte to Taylor Park and back every year. All of the passes are big bike friendly in my opinion. This year there is still a lot of snow at the higher levels especially single track. I'm going end of this month and hope they can get things cleared by then. Its pretty easy to enjoy Colorado on a motorcycle.

ditto... tons on nice riding out of crested butte . I'd like to join the CO ADV gang again this year if they do a fall colors camp ride. We did one about 6 years ago that wa spectacular and camped out about 3 nights if I'm not mistaken riding various dirt roads among the tall aspens in the area. THere is also a spectacular Paionia to Blue Mesa paved section to run with the small oaks changing to red that time of year. Somewhere ihae the photo to post. WIll look for it.

Wow! This looks like a blast! Camping, great riding, beautiful scenery! I can’t make it this year, but will be on the lookout for year 2.

Good to know, I was a little worried considering the bike I would be taking (Not a DS) and from I researched, some of the trails/passes just aren't for my setup which is fine :)
Waiting on a thing or two to see if I can actually make this trip. Hopes are up.

Last edited:
The lack of activity on this thread has been a direct relation to my work and other responsibility load. My apologies for advertising things and not following through. Just not in the cards.

Back