• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heat keeping everyone inside?

I have lived in Phoenix so I know what hot is, it's the humidity that kicks my backside. I do my yard work as early in the day as I can at this time of year, same with my riding.

My mom's central ac went out after 2 years (no return calls yet for repair) We are going to lowes to pick up an emergency ac to use and to keep in the box just for occasions such as this at our houses.

I lived in centrail Florida for 10 years with no AC. Before that, grew up in southern Ohio where nobody had AC. Summer time was hot and humid but nights would cool down nicely. I'm fine without it now except for sleeping.

Waiting for it to warm up a bit.
?hash=888e44c10d6bc2bce663ad5e561248e4.jpg
IMG_20190809_153019013_HDR.jpg
:duck:

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_071954332.jpg
    IMG_20190810_071954332.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 140
I got a Phasecore phase change cooling vest for work, and I took it on my big motorcycle trip a few weeks ago. It makes a huge difference. I did 749 miles the first day, in temps up to 105. When I would stop for gas I’d throw it in the ice cooler outside the gas station to re-solidify the coolant packs and I would top off the water in my camelbak. It made a huge difference in my comfort and stamina levels.

I'm not a morning person so the summer heat ruins my urge to ride. After seeing that A/C helmet, I think I may pick one up to try for next year.

If I can't get out to the dirt or backroads I don't want to ride regardless of temp.

+1. I take 1604 out to Helotes and head for the Sisters, but during the week, never the squid-choked weekends.

I do fine outside in the heat, and when I get to call this my office view on those reality-suspending days, it can be tough. Last year in Breckenridge TX it was 106 on the field, about 130 inside the plane, and if you touched the skin, you were burned. Lots of water and coconut water, and in the evening cold beers, and let me tell you it doesn't take many after days like this. But broiling on the bike just isn't any fun anymore.

BTW, we were headed to NASA. Invited to bring the plane and land on the shuttle runway. Membership has it's privileges.
It took FOREVER to get to the end of this massive runway. We only really need 5000'. lol.
Rolling past the control tower and a mock up shuttle.

Well it is hot out there, I’m playing with a new camera, these days they sure pack a lot of features in the camera. So lots of experimenting. Here’s a few.240970

BTW, we were headed to NASA. Invited to bring the plane and land on the shuttle runway. Membership has it's privileges.
It took FOREVER to get to the end of this massive runway. We only really need 5000'. lol.
Rolling past the control tower and a mock up shuttle.

View attachment 240968

That's awesome! Nothing like hearing those four round motors fire up on the Fortress. Didn't notice the emblem in the yoke in the last post to see what you had a seat in. Jealous, I am. 😁

Heat is rarely the problem for me. I don't mind the heat when it gets up over 90 and the humidity starts coming down a bit. I am good up to about 105-110
Don't worry youngster, I used to feel the same way. The bike has probably only got a couple hundred miles on it so far this summer. I just don't want to deal with it.

I don't get out to ride much, but the heat doesn't stop me from commuting, 80F mornings feel chilly and 100F+ on commutes home are no problem this year, guess my helmet does give the intended relief when riding in the sun. (Last year the only 100F+ days in the sun (mostly rode home around or after 8pm) ended up with me sitting (moving slowly) in dense traffic and a severe headache and nausea when I got home. Leading to "either a new helmet avoids that or I'll be splitting", so I'm still a legal boi)

With anything up to 97F feeling fine there would always be mornings anyway, it's time I'm lacking lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jealous, I am. 😁

so sign up. that's what I did after paying for a ride in 2011. I'm proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks. from standing around trying to sell the t-shirts to Flight Engineer in a couple of years, with NO aviation background. most of y'all are mechanically inclined, and that's really all it takes.
our 70-something lead wrench and retired trucker interviewing on camera last year, when asked how he learned to work on the plane said "Oh, it's just a big tractor with wings to me." I was watching the interview online, and passed half a Shiner out my nose. on to one of my cats. that did not end well for me.

Although the title is misleading, this is a good article about hydration...

amazed no one talks about coconut water. I find that the best rescue hydration there is, despite the high sugar content.
I always carry some, and only this brand below. if you like the stuff, or only kinda do, this will ruin you from the cheap stuff.
and I just tried the dairy free yogurt drink today, and it does not suck!
when out with the plane in this kind of weather, I always snag bananas and a couple things of peanut butter for the backpack.
the combination of all that will bring you around.

a friend was just whining about this heat today, and I had to remind him, it's mid-August already.
some years this starts as early as June! shoot, we're almost out of this!

minimal effect on the whining. I tried. yep. he'll be whining about being chilly in January. sigh.....

a friend was just whining about this heat today, and I had to remind him, it's mid-August already.
some years this starts as early as June! shoot, we're almost out of this!

minimal effect on the whining. I tried. yep. he'll be whining about being chilly in January. sigh.....
South tex mentioned to me we have 1 week to 10 days of solid triple digits left then to break into thunderstorms and low 90's.

Summer Happens

Took the day off to spend time with the skirt. .... she asked, “no riding today?”. I’ll be doing dirt again tomorrow morning with her blessing.

I still have too much thick Northerner blood in me to be outside for too long! I went dirt bike riding with my son a few weeks ago when it was near 100. I started to not feel good after an hour or so. I was drinking fluids like there was no tomorrow!
I haven't ridden my Rocket III in close to a week. :(

103 with real feel close to 110 up here. I guess it’s way worse in Harlingen

Back