• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cool Tools

... I just used another cool tool, I have a Bosch hammer drill that uses the posi-lock bits. Love the thing. I drilled the 10 3/4" holes that keep my lift in place with the thing. I love it, works well and you can use it to break up concrete as well.

What model Bosch Hammer Drill?
Thx

I just got done drilling over 80 3/8" holes in my pool deck to mount a new perimeter fence using that hammer drill that I borrowed from a buddy. Sure beats the crap of my 1/2" Dewalt hammer drill. The Bosch drills concrete like butter.

Do you recall which model drill you used? Thx

Also used it to drill fracture holes in the concrete on the old fence posts I pulled so I could break the concrete off easier.

IMG_3264.JPG

I own rentals, so I use my tools a lot, I have gone tp Ryobi battery tools they may not last as long as a Milwaukee but, in my opinion, they are good enough for construction, and they offer a lot of different tools that all use the same battery.

I own rentals, so I use my tools a lot, I have gone tp Ryobi battery tools they may not last as long as a Milwaukee but, in my opinion, they are good enough for construction, and they offer a lot of different tools that all use the same battery.

Owned by same company!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For me, my welding life changed when the first two of these squares entered my garage. Gone of the days of using magnet squares or speed squares and hoping the parts stay where I want them.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 6.16.50 AM.png

Great idea for a thread, Brian! I find the small things make a big difference in the garage.

Brian - yes, spring loaded. Packs enough punch to loosen fasteners.

So this thread got me thinking of some other tools that I have come across that some folks may not have worked with just yet. For me these are still really good purchases that have helped me out in the shop a bunch of times.

This little guy is a multi-sided pivoting magnetic holder thingy that is perfect for holding tabs on square and round pieces of steel when fabricating stuff. Before this it was the ol' "kind of hold this here with pliers and hope for the best" method.
IMG_6682.JPG

Speaking of pliers, these are awesome! They have teeth at the nose of the plier that run vertical and are curved. The purpose of that feature is to help with removing stripped screws without having to resort to an "easy out" or something similar. They also have all the other lineman's pliers type features.
IMG_6679.JPG

Stripped screws you say! Well, if you have a Japanese motorcycle, especially one with disc brakes, then you have probably stripped the little screws that hold the brake reservoir cover on. If you were like me, it was because you didn't know that those screws weren't Phillips screws but JIS screws. So now I have JIS screwdrivers.
IMG_6678.JPG

As usual, I am late to the party on things. With this, I just happened upon them a few weeks ago. These things have made my days of traditional wire splicing using a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing a thing of the past. Seriously, one of the best pieced of kit I have added to the garage in a long time.
IMG_6680.JPG

Lastly, these little magnetic tool holders off of Amazon are awesome for keeping the most used wrenches front and center for when I need to get at them quickly. No more opening and closing of drawers to find the correct wrench when they are just stuck right there on the lid. FYI, the Craftsmen ones you buy at stores like Lowes and such are NOT as good as these by any stretch. These have been awesome for keeping things organized and easy to grab.
IMG_6681.JPG

DFWW, is that a US General box??
Those are some great boxes fir super affordable. I have the 44" Blue top and bottom.

DFWW, is that a US General box??
Those are some great boxes fir super affordable. I have the 44" Blue top and bottom.
It is. It is their 5 drawer mechanic's cart and I LOVE it. For the money, there is nothing out there that can even come close to it. I caught it on sale and got it with the optional folding side table, and a paper towel holder for less than $200.

No, it is not automatic. Hold it in place, pull the other end to load the spring tension, and release.
Ah ok. Well, boo for me lol but looks like a neat tool.

It is. It is their 5 drawer mechanic's cart and I LOVE it. For the money, there is nothing out there that can even come close to it. I caught it on sale and got it with the optional folding side table, and a paper towel holder for less than $200.
Nice. I debated the cart too, and the green color. Yo Tambien on the papertowel holder, but the magnetic one from amazon.

Automatic punches are a thing...

They have alternate uses too.
I think those are the ones I have, I think they came in a 2pr, one large one small. I lost the small one and the large one doesn't work very well anymore, it stops punching after a couple pops. I have to open it up and realign the spring and the plunger in there. I'm looking for a new set.

I have a few of these and the cheap ones are hit and miss like Monica said. The one that works every time is a "starrett". Google "Starrett automatic center punch" they make several sizes.

I have a few of these and the cheap ones are hit and miss like Monica said. The one that works every time is a "starrett". Google "Starrett automatic center punch" they make several sizes.
Oh I love Starrett. I've got a brass punch set that I use for my gunsmithing work. I'll chk out their auto punch.

I need to consolidate into one brand/battery. I have dewalt, porter cable, and hitachi tools. Too many batteries and chargers to mess with. The Milwaulkee stuff does look nice.
they do make adapters that let you consolidate batteries. they let you use one battery brand to power different tool brands. sold on Amazon.

Back