• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Windshield washer pump jacket cooling system

Reaction score
I ride an hour each way to work every day and work in an outside shop, needless to say by the end of the day, im hot.

Before I put on my gear I basically soak myself with a water hose and im good for about 20 min on the way home.

I am going to cobble together a tank, windshield washer pump, and some hose ran through my jacket, hooked to my heated jacket switch with a disconnect going from the bike to the jacket.

I’ll take pics of my build as it progresses. Im going to just find a tank and zip tie it to the rack for a test and if I like it then I’ll weld up a fancy pretty tank to take the place of my rear seat.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not looking to make this super complicated though just trying to squirt water into my jacket while riding hahahaha.

Look at craigslist for a knee/ shoulder after surgery cooling device. Power it. Fill the cooler with ice and water. Place the sleeve in your jacket ( front or back). Should work and not get you wet. Figure the cooler can be secured in the passenger area.

Look at craigslist for a knee/ shoulder after surgery cooling device. Power it. Fill the cooler with ice and water. Place the sleeve in your jacket ( front or back). Should work and not get you wet. Figure the cooler can be secured in the passenger area.

I think I have one of those in the shed.

I am a diesel mech and I’m absolutely nasty by the end of the day so I’m not worried about being soaked and I can basically build this for free using random parts from work doing it this way. And I also don’t have to worry about cooling the water as evaporation will be more than enough even if the water is rather warm when it comes out of the tank.

Ya know, that's a pretty genius idea.

I've used a one if those Frig Toggs towels draped around my neck for years in the hot months. Being able to easily re-wet it without getting off the bike would be awesome.

Therefore I'd be tempted to have the nozzle on a lead that you could spray your self with where ever you want or even drink from. Or maybe two nozzles and have a little valve on the end to shut the second one off.

Check out moto-jug for some ideas. Then you could spray yourself with ice water.

There is a retired Air Alaska pilot in my community that I visited one days many years ago that did the same thing. He had a halo of small diameter tubing that he put around his neck. The tubing had holes drilled in it every inch or so. I do forget how he powered it but he demonstrated it for me and it seemed to work well as it would shoot water down his chest and back.

Reminds me of a story I read in Car and Driver about the Cannonball Run where a couple of competitors routed the windshield washer hose through the firewall of their car to the interior. They then filled the washer reservoir with bourbon. When it was time for a refresh, they would offer their glass to the hose, now under the dash, and hit the washer switch.

Spray Bottle.jpg

Reminds me of a story I read in Car and Driver about the Cannonball Run where a couple of competitors routed the windshield washer hose through the firewall of their car to the interior. They then filled the washer reservoir with bourbon. When it was time for a refresh, they would offer their glass to the hose, now under the dash, and hit the washer switch.

My HS Spanish teacher had a mini bar in his glove box that was setup sorta like that. 🤣

I’ve tried to make cooling suits since 1973. The misting-system didn’t work very well in stop and go, 90% humidity weather; not enough evaporation. It’s kind of like adding sweat; it’s a sauna-system. My second attempt was a ram air system. I tied a big funnel to my front axle with a tube running up the back of my jacket. Too much road dirt. I moved the funnel to the top of my helmet. Too many bugs. I was going to put a bug-screen over the funnel but I got run over by a ‘67 Chevy and stopped riding for 13-years.

When I returned to riding in 1990 I sewed 38-feet of 3/8-inch tubing into one piece overalls. I connected the tubing to a 12-volt, RV potable water pump and a one gallon Igloo cooler filled with ice and water. It worked. For about an hour. Then the ice melted and it turned into a heating system. I have used the IceMan cooler Vinny posted. It uses a dc pump so it’s easy to adapt to the bike’s 12v system. Coolshirt Systems makes a great tee shirt with many feet of small tubing sewn to it. It has factory quick disconnects like the ones that fail on BMWs. Don’t worry they hold up when only subjected to water.

This system works well if one can carry enough ice and water. I estimate about four gallons for a one-hour ride in 90° F weather. That takes up quite a bit of room, weighs about 35-pounds and the bike gets squirrelly with the water sloshing around.

I bench-tested a one gallon 12 v cooler (the kind that can heat or cool its contents) in 85° F garage. I did not run the pump and circulate the water. When powered (cool selected) ice was still visible 24-hours later. Without electric cooling the ice was gone in about four hours. I never ride-tested it but I do think it might be a solution to the can’t-carry-enough-ice water problem.

Would like to hear what others have tried.

Attachments

• 38A03276-B735-466B-BAAF-791376766005.jpeg
    38A03276-B735-466B-BAAF-791376766005.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 3C4B36EC-99FC-4441-BD69-AC0878397D84.jpeg
    3C4B36EC-99FC-4441-BD69-AC0878397D84.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 85
Here's my solution - 1/4" (i think) tubing running up and down a vest connected to an aquarium pump in the biggest Yeti jug made (at the time.) I filled it w/ice water that was pumped up into the vest. The cooling effect got the inside of my jacket down to about 75 degrees for around an hour before the ice was melted and the water was body temp. Refill the cooler w/ice as needed...

CM

Chris, I like the way you think. I already have these on order:

Plan is to power it with three AA batteries (in series), using my hydration pack as water source. It's small enough to fit inside the fill opening, then run a tube up and out. Will use a "tee" connector at the top to branch tubing to both sides of the shoulder strap, and drain down the front for cooling. A small toggle switch will be mounted to the left, front shoulder strap to control flow when needed. Nice thing is, it will be completely self contained, so easily used/removed, and I can still use the pack for hydration! Should have it here next week, and will post up if it works.

I like the idea of it being a hydration and cooling system from the perspective of wasting less water. It won't matter if the water is hot by the time it's ready to be refilled if the jug is close empty anyway. One wouldn't want to completely empty and run the pump dry so a sight glass might be handy.

When filled with cold/ice water, I've never had it go hot on me during a ride. Of course, you can always top it up with ice when stopped for gas/lunch. Most of my riding is off road, so mixed with dust will probably make a nice mess, but that's just seen as trail cred' when stopped, lol. Just like the thought of having a completely self contained system that I can take off during stops, and not be attached to the bike. BTW, if someone patents this, don't forget me when the millions start rolling in :chug:

Man you guys are high tech. When it's really hot I just get a big mouth full of water from my hydration pack and open my mouth and let it run down the front of my shirt. I generally do it with the first drink of the water that is hot in the hose and I really don't want to drink it anyway. I'm sure this is uncouth and doesn't meet the approval of your mother or mine but it works just fine.

I have an older Geigerrig (which I guess has been bought out by Aquamira). In the past I would just fill it with ice and water from the hotel, pressurize it, strap it to the back seat or the trunk rack, run an insulated tube up to me, and then spray my chest as needed. Since I went to a LD Comfort base layer and a MotoJug drinking system I haven't used the Geiger.

Back