• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Natchez Trace and Eastern Tennessee

Janet

Reaction score
First Name
Janet
Well, I got to Nashvile this afternoon after covering the 444 mile Natchez Trace.
I will post some other pictures and do some story telling when I get home next week. I hit a few "secondary" Trace roads today on the FJR.
Enjoy.

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

:rider::rider:

Last edited:
Re: Natchez Trace

Beautiful....Secondary roads can be interesting on a FJR. :eek2: Did you put knobbies on by chance?

The first road was OK. It was hard packed and was well worth it. No worries about soft spots.
The second road, is another story. The sign said Old Trace just like the first one did. I went around the curve that was very narrow and started down a steep hill and the pavement stopped. I stopped a second on the pavement, but it was so steep and narrow that there was no way in heck I was going to get that heavy bike (with luggage) turned around. I just smiled and took off. There were several places where there was water standing and some pretty deep holes to dodge. The road was 2 miles to get back to the pavement.
My hands and forearms were getting tired from trying to maneuver it, but I never really had an "oh crap" moment.
When I got back to pavement I had to rest and reflect. I thought about how it was kind of stupid of me to do that since I am riding alone, and I resolved to not follow the Old Trace roads anymore.

Last edited:

Beautiful, Janet!!!
Now that you are seasoned, swing down to Tellico Plains for a day or so and we'll take you out on some of these forest roads here. We have three bikes here; you can let the Feejr rest at camp for a bit. :mrgreen:

Thanks Elzi, I will take you up on that.
I just talked to Rob and they didn't make it as far last night as they planned, so I will be heading out in the morning by myself and coming that way. Rob will be later in the day getting there.
See ya,
J.

Great on the Trace run. More pictures please! Good on you for doing the original sections. I once stopped for about 15 minutes there and just pondered on those people of long ago walking this trail with the outlaws and bandits watching them for a weak moment.
Thought the trail gets boring to me at times, it's still the fastest way and way better than interstates.
My main let down was seeing the cabin that Lewis died in after all he had seen and done on the Louisiana Purchase journey. Just a sad moment for me. ;^(

For Susan (Tortuga)
Falls Creek Falls State Park, this morning

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

Despite the "ADV Rider" part, I'm glad you got to do the Old Trace.

Like I said, it's tops on my fav parts of the Trace.

BTW, isn't the rest of the Trace some beautiful pavement. The whole world should be paved like that!

I rode most of the Trace and I never saw where this would be. It is all fairly flat. Except for the mounds.

DSC00409.jpg

Dave, it's in Falls Creek Falls State Park, in eastern Tennessee. South of Sparta, North of Chattanooga.

Here are a few more pictures from The Trace:

It was a beautifil drive. I did not find that the 50 speed limit was a problem. I kept it around 54 to 55 and was being passed. I only saw 1 park police and he was at a construction site where they were clearing downed trees from the road.

DSC00301.jpg

Lots of scenery

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

I would hate to walk cross country on this...

DSC00312.jpg

waiting patiently

DSC00333.jpg

Along the trail :(

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

more offroad shots :rider:

DSC00366.jpg

and on road shots

DSC00376.jpg

I got in to Nashville Saturday afternoon. When I headed out Sunday morning I went by the Grand Ole Opry and saw this :scratch:

DSC00390.jpg

I headed on east out of town on SH 70. I intended to stop in someplace for church, but forgot I had crosed time zones. I didn't want to walk into some place in the middle of things, so I just passed on by without going in.

DSC00398.jpg

hummmm, where did I get in the mud?

DSC00419.jpg

I met up with my friends in Sweetwater, TN and we headed out riding Monday.

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

some pretty expensive mistakes on that tree....

DSC00424.jpg

Out to pasture while visiting with Elzi and Ed

DSC00430.jpg

Out riding again today

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

More later.
J.

Last edited:
I'm in for the rest of the story. Great pics Janet, keep it up.

:thumb::popcorn:

Marty

I truely enjoyed my ride down the Trace. I posted up a quick thread about it. It was just too nice to stop and take more pictures. glad you enjoyed it Janet. After the freeway slab mad rush of 75mph, the Trace is a welcome change. great pictures!

Local scenery shots

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

I will try to get the power line out of this picture when I get home.
DSC00446.jpg

I did not go out riding today opting to stay around here and relax. Thursday I am meeting back up with Ed and Elzi's brother in law to ride the Dragon with them.
(No, I will not laugh at Ed for having to ride the twisties on a dirt bike with knobby tires while his FJR sits at home in the garage. :trust: )

(No, I will not laugh at Ed for having to ride the twisties on a dirt bike with knobby tires while his FJR sits at home in the garage. :trust: )

You might be surprised. Plenty of Sport and Sport Touring bikes have been smoked on the Dragon by dirt bikes on knobbies.:lol2:

Well, it looks like our gal, Janet, visied the Dragon on Monday (6/8) and Thursday (6/11). Too early for the Thursday pics.

She rides a black FJR with distinctive driving lights on the front axle and wears a black helmet with her silver jacket.

She was disappointed with the Killboy pics since she was slowed down by a rider in front of her (first 3 photos on second row):

(just click "Continue" when the banner page appears)

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4793844&g=04&s=75

The Zee Foto pics were better (starts row 4, second pic from left to first pic on row 5):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4789327&g=04&s=25

:thumb:

Janet on the 11th:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4804294&g=05&s=75

Just click on "Continue" on the banner page. Janet is on the second row, right 3 pictures. :thumb:

---

aaannndddd....

This would be Ed (ed29) who was with her that day.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4804294&g=04RK00XT00

He is the very last picture (bottom right) and has 3 more on the top of the next page & his obvious license plate going away... :sun:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=4804294&g=00&s=25

:rider:

Last edited:
Back