• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wild Bunch In The Remote Backcountry of Mexico's Sierra Gorda

the%20wild%20bunch1-M.jpg

Series Premier of The Wild Bunch in Mexico starting soon!

Bring on the show !:popcorn:

Richard, you can call your bike Caitlyn. It's just that kind of beauty :giveup:

The Kit Carson of Mexico :trust:
So, I counted 'em up. This was my 28th trip to Mexico on a motorcycle. :eek2:
28 trips in 18 years, not counting two trips to Peru on rented motorcycles.
110227_JT-164-XL.jpg

Last edited:
The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20005-M.jpg

Stingray, left, and JT tying down my KTM in the back of my truck at an angle to allow the connection of Stingray's trailer. Richard and Milton would pair for the trailering to McAllen and CB would drive his own truck.

I had always used 4 ramps and a wheel chock prior to this trip, but learned that you only need one skinny ramp and a big strong guy like Scott and anything can be made to work.

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20011-L.jpg

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20007-L.jpg

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20012-L.jpg

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20024-L.jpg

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20017-L.jpg

Richard has been using the Motel 6th near 10th street for a lot of years so we staged out of there. Right next door is the great restaurant The Republic of the Rio Grande which is a restaurant I've used for years jumping into Mexico at McAllen, so we went there for a kickoff dinner. Later that night there was last minute bike futzing and then the excitement of trying to go to sleep with a great adventure looming in the morning.

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20018-L.jpg

My bike got lonely outside in McAllen and for some reason followed me into the room for the night....

4 days worth of posting and so far we've gotten to the night before the start of the ride... at this rate they'll still be telling this story the next time they're in Mexico :lol2:

Waiting for more! :eat:

and without further ado....

Photobombed at WhataBurger
At the very last minute I decided not to bring my heavy Canon 6D DSLR.
Richard graciously offered to loan me his Panasonic Lumex 4/3. All well and good.
I received my training in how to use it at breakfast.

150523_007-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Slabbing it towards Ciudad Victoria
Our first rain squall

IMG_1003-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1
The 300 mile slab between McAllen and Tula had always been a concern of ours.

map%2C%20anotated%2C%20Day1%20the%20wild%20bunch-X3.jpg

Last edited:
The team converged in McAllen on Friday evening with the goal of getting all our border crossing paperwork done. Doing so would enable us to get up Saturday morning and make a beeline for the mountains. However, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. For a few reasons we didn't get everything done Friday evening, meaning we would be delayed an hour or two getting money exchanged and border crossing paperwork completed on Saturday morning.

P5230004-XL.jpg

Luckily the Anzalduas Bridge (our preferred crossing site) was not busy at all and in short order we were all legal to ride into Mexico's interior.

The planned route had us zipping 200 miles down the freeway from Reynosa to Ciudad Victoria. West of that the fun would finally start on the old highway crossing the mountains toward Tula. Our plan also included riding dirt south from Juamave on a great little dirt road Milton and I had discovered 5 years earlier. However, due to the delays earlier in the day, we ran out of time and opted out of the dirt portion of today's ride.

Day%201-XL.jpg

As you know, it has been raining in Texas for 4 weeks. One concern we had was how much rain we would encounter during this trip. We were all prepared to ride in the rain but too much rain turns dirt into mud - and nobody wants to ride in the mud on loaded down bikes, for obvious reasons. Additionally, rain causes tributaries, creeks, and rivers to swell, potentially preventing us from crossing and either delaying our ride or causing us to come up with time consuming bypasses. And, sure enough, a short distance out of Reynosa we encountered the first rain of the trip.

P5230008-XL.jpg

A quick stop on the side of the road to don our rain gear and we were back on our way.

The rain didn't last long and a short time later we were once again back in the sun and speeding toward Victoria.

At every stop along the way people were very curious about the 6 old guys on motorcycles. We were asked a lot of friendly questions about where we were from and where we were going. Milton and Bob are the best Spanish speakers in the bunch and were able to engage in extended conversations with the locals. The rest of us sorta shrugged our shoulders and did the best we could with our limited Spanish.

P5230009-XL.jpg

Last edited:
In the past few years in Austin we have seen an explosion of food trucks and trailers. They are very popular and if you visit Austin today you will see them all over town. Mexico doesn't have food trucks (or if they do they are in the big towns where I don't ride). Instead, they have roadside eateries. Taco stands. Pollo stands. Gordita stands. You get the idea. They are everywhere and generally provide some pretty good food at a reasonable price.

We stopped at Charly's Pollo stand for a late lunch.
P5230015-XL.jpg

Charly's isn't a place any of us have eaten at before. It just happened to be across the street from a Pemex gas station that we stopped at. After refueling the bikes somebody spotted Charly's place and since it was 2pm in the afternoon and we had not had any lunch we made a group decision that we would pay Charly a visit.

There are two food choices at Charly's. Pollo (chicken) or beef tacos.
P5230012-XL.jpg

Several of the guys opted for the chicken. It tasted as good as it looks.
P5230013-XL.jpg

I wasn't hungry enough to eat half a chicken so I order the tacos. Mmmm...delicious.
P5230014-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Luckily the Anzalduas Bridge (our preferred crossing site) was not busy at all and in short order we were all legal to ride into Mexico's interior.

Rich. You're making stuff up! We crossed at Pharr, not Anzalduas.

One of the reasons we didn't cross at Anzalduas the night before is that there was an hour wait to get back into Texas.

One of the reasons we didn't cross at Anzalduas the night before is that there was an hour wait to get back into Texas.

Also, we thought that since Pharr is on the east side of Reynosa, it would be closer to the highway south toward Victoria. Anzalduas is definitely better when heading toward Monterrey.

Oops! You're right. I forgot we crossed at Pharr going in and Anzalduas on the way out. Thank you for the correction.

What's with the plastic baggie thing on your plate Richard?

What's with the plastic baggie thing on your plate Richard?

I believe it was for sanitation purposes, though I'm not completely sure. It's the only time I've had food served like that in Mexico.

Saves on having to wash the dishes...?

I saw it and thought, yeah, saves water by not having to wash the plate. but ye gods! we don't need to generate more plastic trash!

:sun:

Saves on having to wash the dishes...?

Exactly. And then they can turn the bag inside out and use it one more time. Lol

You see that quite a bit in countries/areas where water is scarce. They didn't use it on the chicken as hot meat/bones straight off the grill could melt it.

_

Back