• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

December in Big Bend 2008/2009 Report

jfink

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
Re: December in Big Bend

Well Joe, we'll be at River Inn from the 26th to the 27th and then on to BB the 28th. We'll have to twist a cap off by the fire some night then.:party:

Tom, good to meet you and your family at the River Inn. Hope you enjoyed the one two nine. I think I saw you and your nephew going through Del Rio, it was later then I expected to run into you. Emily told me you got a late start. I was with a guy on a DR650, who was headed to Mexico from Salt Lake City. He was having a little mechanical problem, but I think we got it fixed up. Drop a line when you get back.

ride report, somewhere on Old Ore Road ...

th_Dec292008-VID00005.jpg

OK, enough is enough, dag nabitt!! It's high time for a full fledged ride report from ya'll lucky enough to be in Big Bend.

If I coulda, I woulda joined ya'll for sure. I hope everyone is safe and has a happy New Year!!:rider:

I can't do a full report, but here are a few photos from Ernst Tinaja canyon

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

there are lots of places like this to find and explore, this was a 1.4 mile hike trail near Old Ore, I think the CRV we have could make it out there

James was faster then me. We came back to central Texas together yesterday. I've got to run some errands this morning, but I'll get some pictures up during the football games later today.

But, cool nights and warm days. Clear skies all the time, ton of stars at night and great views during the day. Good company too. that will do for now.

i'm sure there will be some good write ups, in the mean time a few more photos

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

uncle.jpg

thanks to Roger (Uncle), Richard and family, and all the Rats :clap:

I had a blast down there in the three nights and two days I was there. We rode 275 miles in all. The 75 miles on day two was the best two track I have ever rode in Texas and we found it completely on accident. When we were 46 miles in and losing daylight and fuel, I thought for sure we would sleep in the desert that night. It was tough rocky terrain and our tracks were the only ones on it since the last rain. It was extremely remote and had 5700 feet of ascent in all.

I only have two pics to offer.

KTMs representing in Big Bend
camp_orange.jpg

Sunrise at Uncle's place 1/2/2009
sunrise2.jpg

Here's some of the pics I took.

Terlingua Trading Company at twilight
IMG_0328.jpg

At the Starlight for dinner
IMG_0329.jpg

Eating at the Starlight
IMG_0343.jpg

On the trail to the hot springs
IMG_0399.jpg

Mexican Vendor crossing the Rio Grande
IMG_0385.jpg

Mexican Dual Sport Vehicle
IMG_0388.jpg

The Castolon Store
IMG_0381.jpg

View of the Rio Grande from the Boquillas Overlook
IMG_0460.jpg

The pink rocks of Ernst Tinaja
IMG_0448_edited-1.jpg

Natural vertical tunnel in the valley of Ernst Tinaja
IMG_0432.jpg

Odie Coyote
IMG_0416.jpg

Ed29 ready to light the fire
IMG_0414.jpg

David (Cagiva) getting breakfast ready
IMG_0413.jpg

Hardy Baker in the cool of the morning
IMG_0404_edited-1.jpg

Balanced Rock
IMG_0477_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
a few more, anyone know how the lines on the rock were formed :ponder: ?

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

Gee Ed, and I thought that was a helmet cam with your head bobbing around:lol2:

You know how those KLR's vibrate!

Hah! RAM mount on the XR in that case. On the KLR the vibration was even worse, unusable on pavement! Camera was my Canon A570IS in both videos. Too big to hang on the helmet.

I had a great time.
I am testing my photo posting and then will include more!

Attachments

• 449331959_Er4kE-L.jpg
    449331959_Er4kE-L.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 164
Don, the secret is using the image tags to enclose a link to the picture on your smugmug (or photobucket, or any image hosting site).

for instance.......
this
DSC00455.jpg

is this with [ and ] in place of { and }
{IMG}http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/edhegarty/2008%20rats/DSC00455.jpg{/IMG}

449480449_3L9VF-M.jpg

Replace the { with [ and the } with ] on your original try......on both the IMG and the /IMG parts.

Back