• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Short Hill Country Ride and Deer Collision

skup

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak
Three day ride to the Hill Country ended in deer collision this morning just outside of Junction. I had no time to move out of it's way since it just jumped out of the grass with no warning. I only saw it as it came in and hit the right engine guard and oil cooler. Looks like just plastic and oil cooler took most of the hit. The engine guard blocked any other damage. No damage to me. My riding pants have a large knee protector which took most of the hit on me. Pictures show before and after on the bike. Note the last picture on one of our stops the day before. I guess we made it legal!

Attachments

• Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 300
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 331
  • Registration.jpg
    Registration.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 335
Let me know if you are interested in purchasing blue bodywork. I have been contemplating a change to white. :trust:

I agree. Bike is not too bad. Looking to get nice new blue body work:rider:

Tom, I'm glad you are OK. For some reason deer like to jump in front of you. Are you bringing some sausage back?

Tom, I'm glad you are OK. For some reason deer like to jump in front of you. Are you bringing some sausage back?

Yes I guess the other two just didn't get close enough for me.

Glad you're fine.

Do we get any venison? :eat:

After we stopped I saw the deer in the middle of the road apparently dead. I few minutes later I turned around and it was gone! Didn't even get a chance to get a picture.

After we stopped I saw the deer in the middle of the road apparently dead. I few minutes later I turned around and it was gone! Didn't even get a chance to get a picture.

Vampire deer. They heal real fast.:rofl:

Man I'm glad you're OK.

How fast were you going?
What was it like to get thumped?
What do you recall?

I as others are probably curious.

I'm glad you're okay. You could probably have dressed out one of those Hill Country deer and put it in your top box. :lol2:

Congrats on coming out as you did on your deer strike. I've hit one and stayed up. Missed one so close last year in Texas, I try not to think about it and at high noon. I'm very scared of deer on the roads. ;-)

:tab Meh... they don't make the GS's like they used too :nana:

:tab I tagged at deer with my 1150 at about 65mph. Left jug got him in the front shoulders/head. Backside of the body whipped around and slammed into my left leg. I was sore and bruised, but fine. The engine guard was tweaked, but the bike was unscathed. I did not go down.

:tab I NEVER saw it until the instant just before impact, barely even enough time to mentally cogitate the recognition that it was a deer. It was the same when I hit that deer Oct of 09, except I went down that time. It was like they just teleported right in front of me. I guess in some ways that is good because I did not have time to tense up before the impact.

:tab I think a GS needs a big sharp nose ridge, kind of like Cap'n Nemo's submarine. Then we could just cut right through them and keep on going :trust:

I hit a deer driving my exwife's minivan doing 60 and just before the hit I swear I saw the deer in my drivers side window about in line with the mirror, does that mean the deer was doing 70 to get in front of the minivan? I hit it with the pass side fender headlight...like it almost passed me.

Later after she left me she rear ended a guy and got a dwi, so I don't feel so bad about the damage to her van....

Man I'm glad you're OK.

How fast were you going?
What was it like to get thumped?
What do you recall?

I as others are probably curious.

I believe about 60. I saw it out of the corner of my eye for less than a second. Bike didn't even woble. I felt nothing in the handle bars. I just kept moving and slowed down to a stop. At first I thought I just had damage to the plastic but than saw the oil flowing all over the front wheel. I did get hit in the right knee but my pants have a great knee protector that raps around the knee (BMW pants with their updated knee protectors). We tend to be more focused on good riding jackets and forget the pants. I'm guilty in riding in jeans also. I felt a strong impact to the knee but it quickly went away. I think without the knee protectors I could have damaged my knee or at least have been hurting.

One thing I noticed after I started riding, cars don’t seem to bother animal that much but when they hear and see a motorcycle they don’t like it. Maybe it’s just my klr but I’ve seen cars in front of me pass by animals and they don’t even look up, when I go by they perk up or take off running. I don’t have deer whistles on my bike, I’m not sure if they even work and my klr it’s loud enough as is. Thank God you’re all right.

I believe about 60. I saw it out of the corner of my eye for less than a second. Bike didn't even woble. I felt nothing in the handle bars. I just kept moving and slowed down to a stop. At first I thought I just had damage to the plastic but than saw the oil flowing all over the front wheel. I did get hit in the right knee but my pants have a great knee protector that raps around the knee (BMW pants with their updated knee protectors). We tend to be more focused on good riding jackets and forget the pants. I'm guilty in riding in jeans also. I felt a strong impact to the knee but it quickly went away. I think without the knee protectors I could have damaged my knee or at least have been hurting.

Sounds almost exactly like when I hit the deer in Big Bend. I just slowed down and pulled over. Of course an 80-90lb deer versus nearly 700 lbs of bike/rider/gear doing 65mph is not much of a contest... But I have seen other GS's that were trashed from deer strikes :shock:

I'm heading that way Fri. to go hunting- hopefully get lots of revenge for you.:lol2: Glad you weren't hurt.:rider:

I HATE DEER W/ A PASSION. I think I might just pick up hunting. They are just out of control !!

I believe we're missing an opportunity here. The State of Texas has declared that it owns all deer inside the borders. I'd sue 'em for failure to maintain control of their animals!

Back