• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just left the Mexican consulate in Austin.
Apparently you can do everything online, including TVIP.
(They will send it to you by mail within 10 days).

Attached are to brochures Ive got from them (one for issuing the visa and one for the TVIP).

Note that when travelling for less than 7 days the FMM is free.
If you plan to stay there more than 7 days, make sure your popup blocker is off (in order to be forwarded to the paying page)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
This post is for people who need or want to get their vehicle permit and pay for the tourist visa before crossing the border, and especially for those who want to obtain the TVIP in Austin.

I'm no expert, I'm just sharing my experience to help you if you're interested.

SUMMARY:
Today I got the TVIP at the Banjercito inside the consulate in Austin, and completed a form and paid for the tourist visa online. :deal:
The formal name of the document is "Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos."

DETAILS:

I showed up at the appointed time and the security guard came running over to help me the moment I walked in and told me I didn't need an appointment (despite what I had been told earlier and read online but maybe they were just being nice and I was wearing a suit as I do every day at work -- so IDK). You can obviously decide if you want to make an appointment or not.

At the consulate counter three people (two of whom were supervisors) informed me that they cannot issue a tourist visa "and haven't for 10 years."

Next, I reported to the Banjercito counter for a TVIP where the helpful lady informed me, as stated by Fang in post 467, that I could complete the visa request form and pay online.

Moving on to the TVIP, she asked me for the ORIGINAL vehicle registration (license plate payment) receipt, my passport, and for copies of both. She also wanted a copy of the vehicle title. I also provided the electronic pre-authorization that I had completed earlier online (I think I maybe mentioned this in a previous post). She reminded me that I needed a Mexico vehicle insurance policy but did not ask to see it (I took it with me just in case). She said the border agents may ask to see it. They charged my credit card (I had pre-authorized payments in Pesos) 8,218.9 pesos ($465.28) which was $400 deposit on my 2017 KTM and the remainder in fees. There was the usual rubber stamping, signing, and passing lots of copies and documents back and forth.

Then the consulate man smiled, shook my hand, waved good-by, and nicely wished me "Merry Christmas." I wonder how many times I've done that in another language. I smiled and thanked them all.:-P

When I got home I completed the visa request form here:https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html. The computer form charged me 500 pesos $28.30USD and issued me a Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica and a FMME Frontera Norte and a Folio de la Operación.

Awhile after you submit the online form, the Mexican government will email you a link to your official form, the FORMA MIGRATORIA MÚLTIPLE (FMM). You must open this email and print this form and take it with you to the border crossing. It is NOT sufficient to print the last web page for you complete.

So I got a 6-month visa request and TVIP starting in a week (in case I win the lotto and can leave early).

I understand that I'm to show the TVIP and the Forma Migratoria Múltiple Electrónica / PAGO DE DERECHOS POR SERVICIOS MIGRATORIOS (aka PAYMENT OF RIGHTS FOR MIGRATION SERVICES) to the government agents at the border crossing.

More on the new consulate location:

I mentioned the new address on Ben White Blvd in a previous post. I entered that address into Waze and it led me a long block away, nearing my appointment time and looking at a maze of buildings for the consulate. I'm glad I was early as I wasted some time driving around. The actual address was the next cross street west of the location the Waze application took me to. Once you get the the correct intersection the consulate has posted lots of small signs leading the way. When I finally got to the right building, I asked my Garmin my current location and it indicated N 30.21780 W 097.72337. It is a brown 2 story building.

Anything else I need to do for the government of Mexico?

Apparently there is no need to go to the consulate. Refer to my message below

Apparently there is no need to go to the consulate. Refer to my message below

True, that's what they say. It's a personal preference based on lots of things. As for me, living in Austin close to the Consulate, I was happier having the document in hand rather that relying on the Gov't of Mexico (GOM) and USPS to get me my paperwork, error free, and on time.

While I probably "wasted my time" going to the Consulate, etc., I could leave for Mexico literally right now and that gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling like a mink glove on my back. Well, sort of.

8824874_fpx.tif?wid=1200&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.jpg

The second part of this quote contains a common gotcha. There is a HUGE difference between off pavement and off road. I don't know of a single Mexico insurer that does not cover dirt roads. Dirt roads are everywhere in Mexico and are more common than paved roads. So the language in the fine print, if you find it, might read more like off road vs off pavement.

Who though a trip to Mexico would turn into a study of insurance and permits.

Baja Bound website says -

Important: Coverage is only valid on conventional roads, not in off-road situations. Some dirt roads are conventional roads if they are normally transited. There is no coverage on roads that are impassable.

Sanborn's - Exclusions in the actual policy include -

Loss or damage sustained or caused in the operation of the Insured Vehicle off conventional roads or on roads not in good driving condition.
(Conventional Road shall be understood as a road adapted and/
or designed to be used by vehicles authorized to transport passengers
on a private basis, and on which there are reasonable signs of the
normal transit of vehicles).

A lot of room for interpretation in these.

And for you hotshots, Sanborn's excludes -

Loss or damages sustained or caused in the course of
participation by the vehicle in a race or any other contest of speed

99.99% of the riding is on conventional roads meeting the insurance definition. The roads that won't are likely driveways and wrong turns.

There will be no contests of speed or timed events. We are in Mexico, not Baja, jaja. Period. I mean it.

Anybody want a peanut?

99.99% of the riding is on conventional roads meeting the insurance definition. The roads that won't are likely driveways and wrong turns.

There will be no contests of speed or timed events. We are in Mexico, not Baja, jaja. Period. I mean it.

Anybody want a peanut?

How about the racing on the stairs in Galeana? Is that covered? Hmmm? Well, is it?

How about the racing on the stairs in Galeana? Is that covered? Hmmm? Well, is it?

No one ever raced on those stairs. Ever. I'm pretty sure Sanborne's would have just laughed at the claim.

"You did what?....HAHAHAHAHAHA....coverage denied !!!!"

GPS files / GPX files:

If you haven't done so already please order one of Richard's awesome guidebooks and topo maps for the low price of $25. You order directly through Richard via PM on this forum: TrailBoss is his username.

You get info, general info, specific info, tips, maps, route descriptions with small maps, pictures, and all sorts of warm fuzzies and fuzzy mink glove good feelings after taking a day or two to fully digest the content.

And the rides in the linked GPX files match up to the rides in the guidebook perfectly, so there is very little guesswork deciding which routes to take.

And a little pro tip....downloading google earth onto your PC will allow you to preview a GPX file and see in great detail the route, topography, etc... if you are the type to preview what you are going to ride. Email with actual GPX files is going out to all registered participants in 3...2...1....

http://www.texasadventure.net/mextrekgpsroutes/

Thanks Richard for all the work on these files and the guidebook. They are awesome!!!!

P

Last edited:
GPS files / GPX files:

If you haven't done so already please order one of Richard's awesome guidebooks and topo maps for the low price of $25. You order directly through Richard via PM on this forum: TrailBoss is his username.

You get info, general info, specific info, tips, maps, route descriptions with small maps, pictures, and all sorts of warm fuzzies and fuzzy mink glove good feelings after taking a day or two to fully digest the content.

And the rides in the linked GPX files match up to the rides in the guidebook perfectly, so there is very little guesswork deciding which routes to take.

And a little pro tip....downloading google earth onto your PC will allow you to preview a GPX file and see in great detail the route, topography, etc... if you are the type to preview what you are going to ride. Email with actual GPX files is going out to all registered participants in 3...2...1....

http://www.texasadventure.net/mextrekgpsroutes/

Thanks Richard for all the work on these files and the guidebook. They are awesome!!!!

P

Amen to thanking Richard for all his hard work!!!

Mzungu: "Siri, remind me to learn to use my GPS."

"I'll remind you."

Last edited:
I went through the steps to do the TVIP online (https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/) and have run into an issue. My 2017 CRF250L VIN number is not accepted and I can't complete the form. Perhaps too new for their system? I noticed it accepted another 2016 VIN, however (not the one I'm going to use for this trip). Anyone run into this before or solid thoughts for resolve?

Last edited:
I’m planing to ride from Austin on Wed (25th).
Will be happy for a company...

I went through the steps to do the TVIP online (https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/) and have run into an issue. My 2017 CRF250L VIN number is not accepted and I can't complete the form. Perhaps too new for their system? I noticed it accepted another 2016 VIN, however (not the one I'm going to use for this trip). Anyone run into this before or solid thoughts for resolve?

I do. Contact me via PM.

"Sir, I wasn't racing...I was just in a hurry to get home! :lol2:

And of course, no one ever makes a wrong turn in Mexico...

Yikes-L.jpg

Of course there is an occasional sign -

Bottom%20of%20Mesa%20del%20Oso-L.jpg

Last edited:
I will be leaving out late the 20 or early the 21 from DFW heading to Round Rock to meet up with Ken and head to the border.
If anyone is interested in heading down early I have room on the trailer, If not needing a ride south we can meet at the border.

• I created a MexTrek 2017 event in RideWithGPS and added the GPX files to the event (first link).

• You can make the routes available for offline use on the RideWithGPS iPhone/Android app - second link has instructions on how to do this.

• You might also consider downloading a map of the Galeana region for use when internet (cell access) is not available (third link).

If you find all this bewildering, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Edit: The helpful folks at RideWithGPS explained how to add a cuesheet with turn-by-turn instructions to each of the files. You might want to wait a few days for me to get this done before downloading for offline use.

https://ridewithgps.com/events/43513-mextrek-2017

https://ridewithgps.com/help/offline-maps-iphone

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en

Last edited:
• I created a MexTrek 2017 event in RideWithGPS and added the GPX files to the event (first link).

• You can make the routes available for offline use on the RideWithGPS iPhone/Android app - second link has instructions on how to do this.

• You might also consider downloading a map of the Galeana region for use when internet (cell access) is not available (third link).

If you find all this bewildering, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

https://ridewithgps.com/events/43513-mextrek-2017

https://ridewithgps.com/help/offline-maps-iphone

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en

Thanks roamer! awesome stuff!

Questions:

I can't remember how i did it last year. I had someone arrange everything for me, so all i did was show up and pay.
This time, i did it online thanks to info provided by Fang.

1- Obtained Pre-authorization at an agency across the street from Mexican consulate in Houston (Mexican Institute). This was piece of cake. Easy parking in front, quick 2 minutes, $5, and done.

2- Came back to my office, and logged on to the Banjercito website. Piece of cake also.
All information straight forward. With Pre-authorization number in hand, paid $458.25 and done.
* Now, one problem here. Verified the money came out of my card account. But no email confirmation. I know that according to someone, it takes about 10 days to get it mailed. But, is it normal not being confirmed by email?

3- Last, went online to apply for the FMM Entry Exit forms. This is pretty forward as well. I did it in less than 5 minutes, and i was able to immediately download entry exit cards, and i also got the email with the download link in no time.
* Now my question is, someone said that the website charged him $25. I got this, but was never asked for a payment. Did i miss something? Are there documents other than TVIP and FMM cards needed to enter Mejico with my motocicleta?

TIA

Mark

Funny story... I just called the Hotel Jardin to confirm our reservation for the trip. You see, Zeke went to Galeana a few months ago and spoke with the hotel to firm up dates. Then about 3 weeks ago Steve went to Galeana and spoke to the manager, Juan, who said the hotel knew of the rally, but had nothing on the books...because it wasn't possible yet. Juan told Steve he could not take a firm reservation until October 1st. Till that time, everything is, well, not written down. I called last week. Was told call back in a week to book everything.

Today I was told the entire hotel is booked and not available for our motorcycle ride. Say what Willis???

Further inquiry revealed it was booked on paper months ago. For another group. The whole hotel. Reserved by a Mr. M... Well shucks. So then I tried in vain to explain that both Mr. M.... and Mr. Mc..., the two guys who stopped into the hotel to ask about reservations, are both helping on my ride. The hotel employee said, sorry, we're booked, find another hotel. If you want to resolve this you need to call Mr. Ezekial M..., ask him if he can find another hotel, and hold on while I get his information. LOL, Zeke = Mr. M. 5 minutes later he comes back with a cell phone in hand and proceeds to tell me everything he told me again in Spanish, but now google translate is translating it into English in my ear. LOL, I love Mexico.

So, all that matters to me is the hotel is "Cerrado" (closed) for a private function on the 26th to 28th, and that is for us!

Formal vs informal is a real thing. In the US it would go down like,
"Hi, yes I'm calling to lock in reservations for our moto ride on the 26th to 28th"
"Oh, yes, we have a complete booking of the hotel for that weekend, booked by a Mr. M 3 months ago. Are you with him?"
"Yes, great, thank you. Is there anything else I need to do? Deposits needed?"
"Nope, we'll see you on the 26th!"

As my well traveled brother likes to say, " T.I.M. . . . This Is Mexico! " These 3 letters are evoked at the best of times, the worst, the strangest, the tensest, the most relaxed...basically more often than you would imagine. It is what makes Mexico so fun to visit.

Last edited:
* Now my question is, someone said that the website charged him $25. I got this, but was never asked for a payment. Did i miss something? Are there documents other than TVIP and FMM cards needed to enter Mejico with my motocicleta?

TIA

Mark

FMM and TVIP are all you need.

$400 of the $458.35 Banjercito charge on your credit card will be refunded when you exit the country. Roughly $44 for the permit (180 day), and $14 for IVA (Value Added Taxes)

Deposit is based on year:

2007 and newer models, USD $400.00 deposit required
2001 - 2006 models, USD $300.00 deposit required
models previous to 2000, USD $200.00 deposit required

Questions:

I can't remember how i did it last year. I had someone arrange everything for me, so all i did was show up and pay.
This time, i did it online thanks to info provided by Fang.

1- Obtained Pre-authorization at an agency across the street from Mexican consulate in Houston (Mexican Institute). This was piece of cake. Easy parking in front, quick 2 minutes, $5, and done.

2- Came back to my office, and logged on to the Banjercito website. Piece of cake also.
All information straight forward. With Pre-authorization number in hand, paid $458.25 and done.
* Now, one problem here. Verified the money came out of my card account. But no email confirmation. I know that according to someone, it takes about 10 days to get it mailed. But, is it normal not being confirmed by email?

3- Last, went online to apply for the FMM Entry Exit forms. This is pretty forward as well. I did it in less than 5 minutes, and i was able to immediately download entry exit cards, and i also got the email with the download link in no time.

TIA

Mark

I was surprised by not being charged as well.
After a research I’ve found out that there is no charge for the 7 days visa. Only to the 180 days one. Just to be on the safe side, I filled the form again ( this time with fake details ) to verify that there is no payment required, and did it again, this time to 180 days to verify that a payment IS required.

Bottom line, I believe that there is no charge for the 7 days visa, and I really hope I’m not wrong

Just to make sure, you did the 7 days as well. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back