• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
  • The Vendor forum is for users that wish to offer their services or products to the TWT Community. Creation of a new thread is limited to users that are members of the TWT Vendor usergroup. Contact Tourmeister to join this usergroup. Vendors may create ONE thread to promote their business. They will still be able to edit and reply to their thread, and reply to anyone else's, but they are limited to one thread. Regular users can reply to any existing thread. Vendors should strive to keep all of their business related posting in this thread.

6D Helmets - The Best Off-Road Helmet Available

Reaction score
I recently did a plethora of research on off-road helmets. I was so impressed with 6D, I bought one, and then I asked to be the TX rep for 6D.

Bottom line, nothing compares to 6D Helmets. Below is what I learned. Check it out for yourself at www.6DHelmets.com

6D has only been around for about 1 1/2 years, so many may not be aware of them. This helmet is an investment. It's $745 for the adult, $590 for youth. But it's the best thing you can do for yourself if you ride off-road. They're HQ is in CA. Company was started by former professional motocross racers.

This helmet literally has a suspension system in it. Suspension for your head! It also has amazing ventilation.

I came across 6D Helmets from the recommendation of a fellow rider about 8 months ago.

I was careful to trumpet the innovation of this helmet because I first wanted to try it for myself, do research on it, and I wanted to ask a number of riders what they thought.

I am confident this is the best helmet ever manufactured.

If you do any off-road riding, buy this helmet!

They can be purchased at numerous TX dealers. Below is more info on the helmet and where it can be purchased.

Some of the awards the 6D Helmet has won:

- "The most innovative helmet ever made" (Motocross Action)
- "Product of the Year" (Dirt Rider)
- "Product of the Year" (Transworld Motocross)
- "Product of the Year" (Dirt Bike)
- "Five Star Rated" (Motocross Action)
- "One of the coolest advancements in helmets" (VurbMoto)
- "Revolutionary" (Racer X)
- "A fresh idea on reducing injuries" (Cycle News)

Here's a link to the complete 6D dealer list locater on the website. Just type your zip code and it'll bring up the dealers in your area.
http://www.6dhelmets.com/#!6d-dealer-locator/c135r

Here's a list of some of the 6D TX stocking dealers:

Dallas/Ft Worth area:
- Action Motorsports (Decatur)
- Cycle Center of Denton
- Straight Line Motorsports (Also known as SLM Racing/North Texas KTM) (Arlington)
- Grandbury Motorsports

Waco
- Munn Racing

Austin/Central Texas
- Central Texas Powersports (Georgetown)
- TJ's Cycles

San Antonio Area
- Yamaha Fun Center
- Moto Shack
- Kawasaki of Universal City

Houston area
- Cycle Shack North (Conroe)

You may recall the horrific crash Zach Bell had at the 2013 Dallas Supercross. He landed on his head from 3 stories high. He had a 6D helmet on. He got up and walked away. He raced the rest of the day after that crash. Here's the video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1vOBKXZbs"]Zach Bell HORRIBLE CRASH Arlington Supercross 2013 RD7 - YouTube[/ame]

Some familiar names that ride with a 6D helmet:
- Eli Tomac
- Justin Bogle
- Matt Bisceglia
- RJ Hampshire
- Jordan Smith
- Malcolm Stewart
- Travis Pastrana
- Ryder DiFrancesco
- Stefan Everts

6D presently only makes an off-road helmet and a mountain bike helmet. Their street helmet is expected to be released Fall, 2015.

Thanks.

I saw the Zachary Bell crash back in 13 watching the supercross that night. I googled and did some research that evening and was impressed

It's amazing it took this long in helmet design to come up with something
This innovative.

Cool. Now they need to add little air bags around the lower rim that shoot out on impact to immobilize the neck. They could even fire using a piezoelectric charge generated by the impact itself so you would not have to worry about dead batteries. Tune the charge level to a certain impact energy so it doesn't fire for trivial bumps.

Kojack06,

Expectation is a dual sport helmet will be released around the same time as the street helmet, late next year.

Thx.

tried on an extra large and was tight around my jaw bone.

Especially liked what dealer hasn't got yet!!

KTM color Glossy looking model forgot what they called it. seems very reasonable to me. (

I guess will wait and see what shows at the local dealer .

And welcome to the site !!

ODODB -OLD FLY
TWT -FLY

Chow!

tried on an extra large and was tight around my jaw bone.

Especially liked what dealer hasn't got yet!!

KTM color Glossy looking model forgot what they called it. seems very reasonable to me. (

I guess will wait and see what shows at the local dealer .

And welcome to the site !!

ODODB -OLD FLY
TWT -FLY

Chow!

Fly,

I just visited Cycle Shack North in Conroe yesterday. They just ordered a whole bunch of additional 6D designs.

They should have new helmets arriving in the next week or two, with the remainder of their new order arriving in Dec.

The new Orange Tech and new Orange Rush look amazing!

yep that's it !

already used my allotted ordering time l o l !
Orange Rush yeah !!

must have missed you coming up from work got there late as usual .

hope the cheek pads come in too, there tight !!
my jaw bone still sore ..but to be honest here going to dentist December 2nd for major surgery 1 wisdom pull , re-caps 4, 2 filling repairs- bad shape let this go for to long got to abuse my insurance this year.:eat:

Yea. The Orange Rush is possibly the best looking MX helmet I've ever seen. The photos online and in the catalog don't do that helmet justice!

In person, it looks incredible. Has a sparkle on sides and on top that really makes it pop, but doesn't go overboard.

I expect the Orange Rush will sell very well among KTM riders.

Good look with the dental work!

Thanks, and it all good and getting better :sun:

Yea. The Orange Rush is possibly the best looking MX helmet I've ever seen. The photos online and in the catalog don't do that helmet justice!

In person, it looks incredible. Has a sparkle on sides and on top that really makes it pop, but doesn't go overboard.

I expect the Orange Rush will sell very well among KTM riders.

Good look with the dental work!

And the pads are replaceable.

Depending on what size shell, u can possibly just change cheek pads to the next size larger (they'll be a little thinner).

Actually, one correction, ANY cheek pad set will fit ANY helmet.

For the center pad comfort liner, it needs to be from the same size shell. There are 3 shell sizes: XS and Small is the same size. Med and Large same size. And XL and XXL are the same size.

We even have a Small/medium center pad (this comfort liner is in between the small and medium sizes).

Actually, one correction, ANY cheek pad set will fit ANY helmet.

For the center pad comfort liner, it needs to be from the same size shell. There are 3 shell sizes: XS and Small is the same size. Med and Large same size. And XL and XXL are the same size.

We even have a Small/medium center pad (this comfort liner is in between the small and medium sizes).

fitted proper today, with correct cheek pads ...THANKS
what a difference .. and changed from XL to Large .
little tight ,whole lot better fitting though .glad I went back to see I just run out of time there closing and I didn't want too hold anyone up .

pm sent - more wait time for the 2015 model

thanks for all your suggestions TwoWheeler and
SAFE WEEKEND STAY DRY!
Peace

A few riders have asked me questions about the technology of the 6D helmet.

Here are two short videos that should address most questions. Thanks!

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZm5RCuSH_I"]MXP Films Interviews 6D Helmets - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wk94MdHGSPg"]6D Helmet Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

6D Helmets will have a representative at Action Motorsports in Decatur, TX Sat., Jan 31st, 9am-6pm for their open house.

Action has a great assortment of 6D MX helmets in stock, including the newest 2015 models!

6D T-shirts and hats to anyone that purchases a 6D helmet at this event. There will also be a 6D EPS helmet liner cut-out that shows the innovative helmet suspension system technology available at the event to see up close.

Stay tuned for additional 6D in-store appearances at TX dealers in the coming months.

A 6D street helmet is expected to be released later this year.

www.6DHelmets.com

First thanks for posting this thread, wouldn't have heard of 6D without it.

My first thought from looking at the design was "genius, finally a reusable helmet" which leads to my question. Am I right in thinking that with this design you don't have to worry as much about a small bump crushing the foam stuff inside the helmet and having to buy a new on?

If I fly off my bike from a high side and head but a tree at 75mph and survive I have no problem replacing the helmet and the tree :mrgreen: However if someone tells me because my brand new $600 Shoei fell off the seat and bounced on the concrete I should throw it away its another story. :eek2:

The problem is I'm OCD and a cheap *** so I ride around constantly worrying about it and telling myslef it would be a waste of money to throw it away...

Even if it's not an official lawyerproof answer I'd like to hear your opinion of weather or not my thinking makes sense, understanding that that the difference between a bump and a bang is really hard to define. Maybe one day they'll come up with a G-force sensor that trips at a certain point and takes out the guesswork....

Happy Trails
Woody

Hi Woody,

Great question!

We frequently get asked the question: “Can I have a crash where the suspension moves, but the EPS is not compressed?”

The answer is, yes you can, but how do you know?

In the lab, things like velocity and G-forces can be measured and controlled, but in the real world, it’s impossible to know how bad an impact truly was. After any significant impact, we recommend you send your helmet in for inspection. This is a free service, with the exception of shipping to and from our office. 6D’s engineers will be able to determine the condition of the helmet, and if it’s still usable. If the shell has any sort of fracture or crack, the helmet is considered to have lived it’s useful life, and should be replaced. 6D will then offer a discount on a replacement, based on how long you’ve owned your helmet. If the shell is still in good condition, 6D can replace just about every other part, including a total replacement of the inner EPS assembly. This can cost anywhere up to about $350, depending on what parts it needs.

The general rule is “when in doubt, get it checked out”.

Thanks for your interest in 6D and safe riding!

2015 6D RACER SUPPORT PROGRAM. Limited 30 day window to apply:

6D Helmets Announces the 2015 Racer Support Program! Application dates: Feb. 15th to March 15th. Checkout the link below for directions on how to apply.

ALL forms of off-road racing are eligible to apply!

I listed the basic steps below. Our website lists all details:

1. Send your resume to RacerSupport@6DHelmets.com between Feb. 15th to March 15th.

2. 6D will contact selected athletes and direct them to their nearest 6D "Flight Crew" authorized dealer.
TX "Flight Crew" dealers include:

Dallas area - Action Motorsports (Decatur), Straight Line Motorsports, and Cycle Center or Denton.

Central TX (Austin) - Central Texas Powersports

San Antonio - Yamaha Fun Center and Moto Shack

Houston (Conroe) - Cycle Shack North

("Flight Crew Dealers" are the top 6D dealers. They maintain a healthy variety of 6D helmets in stock.)

3. Purchase helmet from dealer.

See our website for the full list of benefits! Good luck and don't miss out!!
http://www.6dhelmets.com/#!racer-support/c15yd

Back