• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Adventure Training Options for the Houston Area

Reaction score
Creating this post to separate this effort from the D/FW folks (https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/any-offroad-riding-courses-nearby.131335/).
Thanks to them for letting us piggy back on their effort.

So, I had a short text exchange with Bill Dregoo with DRAGOO ADVENTURE RIDER TRAINING (DART). I hope to have a chat with him tomorrow about a training session in Houston. So, please let me know if you are interested.

The purpose of this thread is to have some Adventure Training Option(s) for the Houston Area. So, if you want to attend, post your interest. If you feel like you could teach, post your interest. Worst case, we meet someplace and do our best to help each other.

Let's make it happen!!

I'm guessing you're talking level 1 and 2. I'm not sure how he could teach level 3 and 4 in Houston.

I want to say I'm interested, but I'm honestly more interested in going up to OK where they have all the appropriate terrain and conditions planned out already.

OK, here is part of a reply from Bill Dragoo:

Thank you for the post and interest in having us down. Securing a proper venue has been a challenge in the Houston area but I'm sure it could be done if someone knew their way around down there. We don't need much for a Level 1-2 class. Level 1 is flat work, the fundamentals of balance and control. Level 2 introduces hill techniques, failed hill recovery, loose hill starts, off camber, ruts and the like. A few small to medium hills typically do the job.​

So, anyone have some land or can think of a suitable space?

Would have it yourselves, plenty of room, and as hard of hills as you want around here. Central location too. Almost in town.

I just had a very nice chat with Bill Dragoo with DART. They are considering a partnership with Motor Sport Ranch near Cresson Texas (20 miles Southwest of Downtown Fort Worth). So, this would be 4.5 hours from Houston and enable DART to customize the area to their specifications. So, maybe in the next 3 to 4 months assuming things come together.

I just had a very nice chat with Bill Dragoo with DART. They are considering a partnership with Motor Sport Ranch near Cresson Texas (20 miles Southwest of Downtown Fort Worth). So, this would be 4.5 hours from Houston and enable DART to customize the area to their specifications. So, maybe in the next 3 to 4 months assuming things come together.

That's a solid 3.5 hours of interstate closer than Norman, OK.

I have been looking for something like this in Texas for quite awhile. Unfortunately, everything I have seen within a 500 mile range of Houston is subsidized by BMW. I wonder how much revenue they loose by not allowing the Tiger, Africa Twin, KTM, etc. riders to attend?

Other than the BMW Center in South Carolina, you can ride any bike you want schools. I say that because I haven’t been there. RawHyde doesn’t care what you bring, neither does DART, West38Moto, nor will Austin Moto Ventures.

I have been looking for something like this in Texas for quite awhile. Unfortunately, everything I have seen within a 500 mile range of Houston is subsidized by BMW. I wonder how much revenue they loose by not allowing the Tiger, Africa Twin, KTM, etc. riders to attend?
Think you could attend almost any of them.

This could be the start of a business relationship. The facility in Burnet is huge and only limited by imagination. Already a great Level I course set up. On site cabins are being built right now. With a full bath in each.

Bummer that the class at the Burnet location is so damned expensive. I bit the bullet and scheduled myself for the April DART training in Oklahoma. It's $650. I called Bill Dragoo to check about switching to the March course at Austin Moto Ventures, since it's less than 25 miles from me. The equivalent course at AMV is $2250. No thanks.

Bummer that the class at the Burnet location is so damned expensive. I bit the bullet and scheduled myself for the April DART training in Oklahoma. It's $650. I called Bill Dragoo to check about switching to the March course at Austin Moto Ventures, since it's less than 25 miles from me. The equivalent course at AMV is $2250. No thanks.
Kind of hard to make you happy. You just saved 2 to 3 nights of hotel expense and 11 hours of travel time.

Back