• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone else enjoying retirement as much as me?

expensive bumps in the road is making it pretty much impossible. Maybe someone will be along to say they were in the same boat at one point and are fine now.
Wish I could but personally I can't. All I can say is start now. It'll be here before you know it.

On my birthday in 1971 I jumped out of a C-130, at night, somewhere over Laos, on a rescue/recovery mission. I was getting $76 every 2 weeks.
How bout that $55 a month hazardous duty pay. If i remember correctly that is what it was in Viet Nam, and also stateside jump pay from 1967 to 70

How bout that $55 a month hazardous duty pay. If i remember correctly that is what it was in Viet Nam, and also stateside jump pay from 1967 to 70
I was an E-3. My “take home” pay including base pay plus allowances less deductions was $76 every payday. In 1973 my pay more than doubled.

Randy, I've been working with Austin Moto Academy, who has moved ops to Buda, actually.

But I am free lance, I can work for any sponsor. The idea is to be a travelling coach.

Yes, I want to add other certifications. Dirt Bike School and\or the new Adv class would be awesome. But that's in the future. I gotta conquer the Basic class first!
Very nice. As has been said, keep us posted on the certs and classes.

has Austin Moto changed to the EP 1 curriculum?
Yessir. Switched back in July, I think.

And the ranges are compact, so I’ve adjusted (adjusting) to that. Haven’t checked lately, but newest range cards were not available yet so I made and laminated my own set. Big and heavy but it’ll do until I can order the correct set. Lol

i am co-coaching with a guy who has been teaching the BRC for 8 years and sticks closely to the MSF curriculum. 👍🏻

On my birthday in 1971 I was celebrating my first birthday. Maybe I am a pup.

nothing like hanging around with a bunch of old farts to make you feel young. Lol

flipside, I find contact with young folks energizing

Not hardly
I know, I was making a sarcastic remark about the lack of pay for military during the draft era. In 1971, I was an E-5 with a little over three years of service and I was taking home about $160 every two weeks. I was in charge of maintaining the missile guidance systems in eighteen F-4J Phantoms and my pay was just a little over minimum wage.

Since we are on the subject of retirement, does anyone see a downside to retiring as young as 57?

I ask because my wife and I are eyeing this age for retirement (we are both 52). We have already taken into account cost of living going up (inflation), needing to replace cars, home maintenance, unexpected expenses, life insurance, medical coverage, etc. and financially we should be ok for the remainder of time here. Not rich, but ok since we live pretty frugally, only buy what we need, buy a little of what we want, and take pretty good care of what we have.

My father, coworkers and older friends have normally waiting until their 60s for retirement (and each person has their reasons - money, desire to still work, need insurance for the family, love their occupation and not ready to leave, etc).

Just wondering your thoughts about retiring a little earlier than average.

Since we are on the subject of retirement, does anyone see a downside to retiring as young as 57?

I ask because my wife and I are eyeing this age for retirement (we are both 52). We have already taken into account cost of living going up (inflation), needing to replace cars, home maintenance, unexpected expenses, life insurance, medical coverage, etc. and financially we should be ok for the remainder of time here. Not rich, but ok since we live pretty frugally, only buy what we need, buy a little of what we want, and take pretty good care of what we have.

My father, coworkers and older friends have normally waiting until their 60s for retirement (and each person has their reasons - money, desire to still work, need insurance for the family, love their occupation and not ready to leave, etc).

If y’all can handle it financially, and you want to, Do It!

Yes, Ma'm. 3 months and 30 days, but who's counting? LOL

Yeah, that would be silly to count down.

IMG_20220310_091219562.jpg

Taped this to the dash of the FedEx adventure van. Was a great feeling, tearing off a tab at the end of each Friday. Lol

I think some volunteering at church and doing more with my local Rotary club will be on my agenda.
👍🏻
When you get your MSF course up and running, let us all know. I would like to take the training if you have a class after the first of the year.
Awesome! I will for sure. The class is designed for folks with no riding experience. But I have had several experienced riders who took the class because they had never gotten their 'm' endorsement or they haven't ridden in years and want a solid brushup.

From now until December, the only riding that I can do is riding on the knee scooter and hopping on crutches until the foot heals!
Here's to speedy and complete healing! 🍻

Hope you are getting plenty of vit D and C and extra calcium!

Here is a song most of need to hear and heed.

I will be 56 when I retire in three years, I was eligible to retire about a year and a half ago but that didn't include medical benefits. I will receive full medical benefits paid for by my employer but will have to keep working for three more years, so that's the only reason I am not retired at 52. The only debt load not paid off will be the house. All vehicles, RV, and motorcycle paid off, we carry zero credit card debt as well. We will have to be frugal and spend wisely, but on my retirement pay and wife's pay we should be fine. The plan is to do some extended camping trips a few times a year then eventually do some full time RV'ing once the wife retires in about 5 or 6 years.

I don't think there is much of a downside retiring at any age as long as you sufficiently plan for it in regards to what standard of living you wish to maintain or are willing to accept.

Last edited:

It depends on who you work for and whether you can make it without SS or drawing from your IRA/401K.

After 24 years of shift work, I retired a few months ago, and am just loving it! No more waking up at 0330, missing birthdays and holidays, being away from my family at night and maybe worse of all, missing out on riding opportunites! I've been truly blessed throughout my life, and I hope some of you are sharing in the joy. My wife still has (hopefully) a couple years to go, but she bought me some cups; I think she shares my joy, lol.

View attachment 329213
Retired in 2020 and wish I had done it sooner. Now off my blood pressure meds and have a whole new outlook on life. I don’t miss work one bit. I thought that I would be able to catch up on the to-do list but the scooter keeps calling my name.

On my birthday in 1971 I jumped out of a C-130, at night, somewhere over Laos, on a rescue/recovery mission. I was getting $76 every 2 weeks.
Wish I could but personally I can't. All I can say is start now. It'll be here before you know it.
It is amazing how fast a retirement account can build even starting with $30 a pay check. Strat puttin most of ever raise in to it so you don’t get used to the extra cash. I didn’t really get started until I was 28 or 29 but I am well on my way to being ready (in 13 years). ;)

View attachment 329466
Taped this to the dash of the FedEx adventure van. Was a great feeling, tearing off a tab at the end of each Friday. Lol
Funny. My wife did about the same thing with a calendar and a highlighter. Today was her last day. We dropped off all her computers today at 3:00, and went and had ice cream.

Wife has been retired for five years now and enjoys it. Me, I’m not even considering it, I’m a bit younger and my working career needs filling. We switched, she was the primary earner for years, now it’s my turn.

For those here still dreaming of retirement. Go to:

Set up a custom retirement countdown timer for any future date. Save link on your homepage and click on it whenever work has you down.

Set up a custom retirement countdown timer for any future date. Save link on your homepage and click on it whenever work has you down.

yes! I had a countdown going on my phone too.

For some of us that would just be really depressing...

Back