• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Canon blocks universal hotshoe for flash

What isn't clear to me in all this is if Canon compatible flashes are affected. It would seem to me that 3rd party ones that are designed to emulate Canon flashes should use the proprietary pins. So I suspect this affects generic triggers and flashes or cross brand flash use, not Canon compatible.

So this means if I decide to get into photography, I should get a Nikon?

Or buy an older Canon?

Is it something that aftermarket can overcome?

No, this has to do with the cheapest Canon two cameras, with built in flashes. Most beginners never use more than that. Even then, a Canon flash will work (and maybe Canon compatible). What won't work on it at all is a Nikon or Sony flash. Or a generic flash trigger to remote control a manual flash. If I were to use a Nikon or Sony flash on my fancy Canon camera, I'd be working in full manual mode which is another thing most beginners wouldn't do.

So yes, Canon didn't implement something they used to in order to save some money and the effect is that you have to use a compatible flash. But in my opinion it is much ado about nothing. It will affect a very few people. DSLR cameras are a dying breed anyway and they have not crippled the more popular entry level mirrorless cameras.

Back