• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Drones

It is only the start. Right now I am only authorized to fly for recreational purposes, vs commercial. This is not as simple as it sounds. Given the rule changes coming, I will just take the time to upgrade to commercial.
Where did you find the info on the differences between the licenses, especially in regards to your comments about YouTube?

I forgot to ask, anyone have any experience with drone insurance or replacement type policies? Are they worth it or are they like those home appliance policies that will never pay for anything?

I have one. I haven't had any issues with it. I really prefer the controller over using the phone. The iPhones I've had sometimes have overheating issues which means I can't fly. Haven't had that issue with the Mini 3's smart controller. I have a Air 2 and a Mavic Pro that is mine and a Air 2 S that work supplied. I prefer the Mini Pro 3 over the others most of the time. I'll keep the Mavic Pro as it was my first smart drone but I'm really considering selling the Air 2 since I almost never fly it and fly the Mini 3 instead. I'm happy with it.

Edited because grammar is hard.

Last edited:
I have one. I haven't had any issues with it. I really prefer the controller over using the phone. The iPhones I've had sometimes have overheating issues which means I can't fly. Haven't had that issue with the Mini 3's smart controller. I have a Air 2 and a Mavic Pro that is mine and a Air 2 S that work supplied. I prefer the Mini Pro 3 over the others most of the time. I'll keep the Mavic Pro as it was my first smart drone but I'm really considering selling the Air 2 since I almost never fly it and fly the Mini 3 instead. I'm happy with it.

Edited because grammar is hard.

Did you mess with the replacement/repair warranty thing?

I didn't on this one. I have in the past with DJI and I never had any issues so I'm gambling to a certian extent I won't. I'm ok with that.

My mavic pro2 stays in the box now. It is almost impossible to use one and not violate FAA rules. For example, having a drone follow prevents you from keeping it in sight.

What is the largest Micro SD card the Mini 3 Pro can take? I cannot seem to find that. I've never done much video work, so I really have no idea if 128GB is low, average, or a lot for shooting video, especially if shooting 4K.

I do understand that YT vids don't really need to be 4K, but like any photography, if you shoot high res and crop, you get better quality than shooting low res and cropping, assuming there are times where you will be wanting to crop a video shot for framing purposes.

My mavic pro2 stays in the box now. It is almost impossible to use one and not violate FAA rules. For example, having a drone follow prevents you from keeping it in sight.

Does the line of sight apply to ALL drone flying or just the recreational license level of flying?

Does line of sight mean you MUST literally keep your eyes on the drone at ALL times or just that there is an unobstructed straight line of view between the operator and drone regardless of whether the operator is actually looking at the drone at any given moment?

I find it hard to believe that ALL drones are flown at ALL times within line of sight of their operators. That would be almost impossible in many circumstances, especially commercial work where the main benefit of the drone is the ability to get into places where you can't see any other way.

Does the line of sight apply to ALL drone flying or just the recreational license level of flying?

Does line of sight mean you MUST literally keep your eyes on the drone at ALL times or just that there is an unobstructed straight line of view between the operator and drone regardless of whether the operator is actually looking at the drone at any given moment?

I find it hard to believe that ALL drones are flown at ALL times within line of sight of their operators. That would be almost impossible in many circumstances, especially commercial work where the main benefit of the drone is the ability to get into places where you can't see any other way.
Most what you ask can be answered HERE. Rather than allow someone interpret for you, it is best you make the call.

As per Tom's response, the FAA site will answer most of your questions.
Regarding line of sight...
  1. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.

It doesn't say you have to have eyes ON it continuously, just that it needs to be within your line of sight. If you were to get an immersive drone where you wear googles to view the camera you must have an observer with you to watch the drone.
You're right about it not being possible at all times. Think about all the home sales drone videos where the drones do a fly-through of the property; there's no way that the operator was within line of sight for those.

Regarding your other questions, all the videos I've been watching have high praise for the Mini 3 Pro with the remote control. If you opt for the larger battery option to give you the increased battery time it will take you over the 249 gram limit and you are required to register the drone. The stock drone is 247-248 grams which is why Steve said he didn't have to register it. The max penalty for non-registration is in excess of $25K and up to 5 years in prison but you'd have to do something really stupid to garner that kind of punishment; for example: causing a fire fighting aircraft to crash because you wanted to film the forest fire fighting efforts and you wound up getting the drone sucked into the engine of one of the planes. Other than that, the penalty is probably going to be nothing or quite low, but even so, is it worth taking that chance instead of spending five dollars?

The recreational license is pretty restrictive on what you can / cannot do so you may as well bite the bullet and get your Part 107 certificate. I opted for a paid course, but as I've gone through this I've discovered that between the free sample tests out there, the FAA study guides, and YT videos you'll be able to pass the test without paying for a course. You only need a 70 to pass and I scored a 75 on my second sample test attempt after spending about 15 minutes browsing through some of the material. I need a strong refresh on my weather stuff, and some refresh on my reading of Sectionals, but everything else is pretty common sense.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I've got some ideas bouncing around in my head that I need to get sorted out and organized. A drone would really be an asset for what I have in mind. From what I am learning, it pretty much makes sense to just get the commercial license and be done with it. Sarah and Daniel would need to get it as well if they are going to operate it. I had no idea they had become so heavily regulated, but I am not surprised in the least.

Sarah and Daniel would need to get it as well if they are going to operate it. I had no idea they had become so heavily regulated, but I am not surprised in the least.
Stupidity and a lack of common sense breeds regulation.

As for Daniel, is he 16 yet? I'm pretty sure that's the required minimum age for a pilot's certificate. Who knows... perhaps this will spark an interest in aviation and they will go on from here to pursue a Private Pilot license. If they do well on the Part 107 written test it won't be hard for them to pass the written for the PP license.

Yeah, he turned 16 in August last year.

I got the DJI Mini 3 Pro. I think I am going to see if I can get him and Sarah to do the license with me so all three of us can fly it, mostly so I can have the option of using the larger battery, both for extended flight time, but also for better stability in wind.

Great choice, I have the same drone and really enjoy it. I have the larger batteries for the 40+ minute flying times. It is registered (required as it over 250 grams with the big battery) but I am not part 107 registered. I want to do it, but have been too lazy, I am a license PPL so hoping that will make it simpler, but I need to refresh my knowledge as I haven’t been flying for years!!
hope you all enjoy the drone.

I want to do it, but have been too lazy, I am a license PPL so hoping that will make it simpler, but I need to refresh my knowledge as I haven’t been flying for years!!
King has free sample exams on their site so go take it. If you can remember your weather briefing stuff and things about the sectionals you should do fine. I haven't flown in 30 years but still passed on my 2nd try without reading the material.

So I got the drone charged up and did a first flight today. Not ideal conditions given that it was quite windy all day. However, the drone is amazingly stable for its size. It is also very easy and intuitive to fly. I think the max height I did was close to 100 feet, high enough to get into the faster wind above the tree tops. I could really hear it working to hold position when it was up there, but most of the time it was astoundingly quiet!

That disassembled playground thing in the back yard will hopefully be gone tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure what I will do with the 14 tons of pea gravel in the playground area, which is 24' X 36'. In my fantasy I'd just put a slab over it and build me a nice shop for the bikes :-P

Last edited:
You looked to get quite close to some off those trees!! Obstacle avoidance is great, but don’t depend on it!! Have fun, they are amazing drones.

You looked to get quite close to some off those trees!! Obstacle avoidance is great, but don’t depend on it!! Have fun, they are amazing drones.

The one tree on the low level flight around the back yard got close. I could have sworn I was passing the drone around the BACK side of the tree by a good bit! The small size of the drone definitely makes depth perception more difficult to judge. The avoidance saved me there for sure! I was going pretty slow though.

Back