• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 450 (500 + actually) Nov 11-13 2011

No one else has committed to the ride so far it just me. If you would like to make a day ride please come ride with me, you could peel off when you get ready.

Ok my tire looks nasty but I feel it is safe to ride. Off road on rocks I'd probably pass but dirt, gravel and pavement it should hold up as the tire's carcass integrity is still fine.

I'll send you a PM now to exchange cell numbers.

_

Great ride yesterday. Silsvee had Kountze to Moscow routed via dirt roads and CR's. Then the Moscow to Rusk section of East Tex 450.

We experienced a little bit of everything, animal near misses, rain, sand nap, locked gate detour, more rain, animal preserve tour, mud, got lost, flat tire, hail and more rain. Silsvee has the photos so should post up but he's riding today also.

_

I"m not sure what the name of the shift schedule is that Entergy has me working. Other than can you work all the time or when we need you. I"m on my eight days off plus a few days of vacation. I go back to work June 20th.
What are you riding? I have an XR4 plated and an NX650, which works best for that ride? How 'bout a little more notice next ride. Thanks.

Want add a lot to SilverBullet's post except I had a great time and look foward to another ride. Here are a few pics
DR taking a sand nap on Piney Creek road.
picture.php
SilverBullet to the rescue.
picture.php
Where the Heck are we !!
picture.php
Taking a break on the old iron bridge.
picture.php
Old chapel at Petigo Cemetery in Town Bluff off Hwy 92.
picture.php

I did get my new 1.75 rotopax tank half ***** mounted , but now I see you guys have knobbies . Am I going to be able to ride everywhere you guys go with my stock DRZ 400 tires ?

Would like to see the Kountz to Moscow route.

PM Silsvee. I think that route is all in his head though. Didn't see him start using his GPS until we got to the East Tex route in Moscow.

I did get my new 1.75 rotopax tank half ***** mounted , but now I see you guys have knobbies . Am I going to be able to ride everywhere you guys go with my stock DRZ 400 tires ?

Stock tires (assuming Trailwings or equivalent) will be fine as nothing technical on these roads. Only thing to watch for is the sand as very deep and sugary fine in some sections. But for that proper air pressure and riding technique is more important than tires.

_

PM Silsvee. I think that route is all in his head though. Didn't see him start using his GPS until we got to the East Tex route in Moscow.

Stock tires (assuming Trailwings or equivalent) will be fine as nothing technical on these roads. Only thing to watch for is the sand as very deep and sugary fine in some sections. But for that proper air pressure and riding technique is more important than tires.

_

Can I find a pkg of this "proper riding technique" at WalMart?

Riding sand is like fighting with your wife. Whatever you think it right is wrong and if you try to apply too much control you'll just mess it up. Best thing to do is to sit back, relax and peg it. Like so many things in life, momentum is your friend.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late post. ricks77eb here is my route from Kountze to Moscow.
specialkb83, I could not imagine riding the back roads of Southeast Texas without knobby tires.

Check out my post Southeast Texas ride on June 30th under DS up coming rides. Will be riding part of the Eastex 450.

Attachments

• Kountze to Moscow.gpx
    91.8 KB · Views: 191
OK. Alaska is complete and was really great. But now it's time to think about our fall 2012 East Texas ride. I'll post here with some possible dates to get some feedback before starting a new thread

Last year we selected a date for veterans day weekend and had great participation, weather and road conditions. The only concern we had after ride was that was also the start of hunting season and we encountered many hunters on the back roads.

Not being a hunter I'm not sure when the rifle season starts this year, but hopefully we can find a date the is before opening day.

Based on last years weather maybe we could schedule for either Nov 2-3-4 or Nov 9-10-11. Or even a date in October if that works better.

What are you all thinking?

Timbercat
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome back Lee!

I'm in. Pre-hunting season sounds good.

Thanks John. It was a trip I will always remember and compare all others. Will you bring your new ride?

Timbercat

October 12-14, or 19-21 work best for me. My 2 cents.

I live in east Texas. I do all I can to avoid hunters with loaded guns, some drinking. Especially at the start of the season. I think you should too.

Deer season this year opens November 3rd soooo looking more like October this year.

I would like to hear from others on dates as well.

Also what is the thinking with a Rusk start for our northern riders?

Timbercat

Back