• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 84 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters
@turbohawk

1715695662729.jpeg

But here you are..lol
1715695685915.jpeg

As a recently retired Fire Service guy working with a large Texas agency I can tell you that EV/hybrids were and are the worst nightmare when it comes to rescues/collisions/and especially fires of pretty much ALL classes of passenger vehicles. SO many issues with these vehicles in regards to public safety, and not just the occupants: First Responders are majorly in harms way even with special training compared to any ICE vehicle I'm aware of. ICE fires are routinely "easily" extinguished. EV/Hybrids not so much. On this alone I detest them and sternly warn all of my loved ones to keep away from these. For EVERYONE's sakes.
Like I said, I don't much care for EVs... at least not in the messianic way that some EV zealots champion them as the cure-all solution. IMO, they do excel in some limited applications, like delivery vans and tradesman work vehicles, where routes are either short or meticulously planned/predetermined. And where these commercial vehicles are always returned to the same exact location at the end of the shift, where safe and convenient charging stations can be set up.

The EV lithium fire hazards are, for sure, real and need to be taken seriously. However, that risk can be mitigated over time. Same way we have always learned to mitigate any transportation risks. Even then, bad things do still happen, people still die, and some will still have to clean up the mess. All we can do is attempt our best to minimize the impact overall and maximize the benefit vs. risk ratio.

All I was trying to say was that over-sensationalizing the negatives is no better than over-trumpeting the positives.

The vast majority of portable electronics use lithium ion batteries. There is a lot of potential danger in even a laptop battery, hence the reason the TSA asks you to make sure you don't pack any unattended in your luggage.

The vast majority of the people could use an EV when you look at the amount they actually drive. Very few people drive enough in a day to even use the range of most EVs in a day.

One of the big pluses I like of EV and many hybrids, is the AC and heat can work all the time. Most ICE motors will need to have the ICE motor running to provide heat and cooling. By going all electric for heating and cooling, you can still stay warm or cool when stopped at a light. At least a lot of ICE vehicle have gone to a stop/start system to reduce pollution when sitting at a light. Well, at least until they have to start the motor again to run the AC...

Maybe someday we'll have inductive charging where we can get by with a small pack and let the power be received from the grid under the road. I won't call myself an EV zealot but I am definitely an adrenalin junkie. For me EV cars and bikes go a long way towards keeping me entertained in that area.

The vast majority of portable electronics use lithium ion batteries. There is a lot of potential danger in even a laptop battery, hence the reason the TSA asks you to make sure you don't pack any unattended in your luggage.

The vast majority of the people could use an EV when you look at the amount they actually drive. Very few people drive enough in a day to even use the range of most EVs in a day.

One of the big pluses I like of EV and many hybrids, is the AC and heat can work all the time. Most ICE motors will need to have the ICE motor running to provide heat and cooling. By going all electric for heating and cooling, you can still stay warm or cool when stopped at a light. At least a lot of ICE vehicle have gone to a stop/start system to reduce pollution when sitting at a light. Well, at least until they have to start the motor again to run the AC...

Maybe someday we'll have inductive charging where we can get by with a small pack and let the power be received from the grid under the road. I won't call myself an EV zealot but I am definitely an adrenalin junkie. For me EV cars and bikes go a long way towards keeping me entertained in that area.
wonder what the EM field effects would be on humans for in-road inductive charging.

Sure, most people can use an EV as basic transportation some of the time, just like a lot of us can use a scooter or motorcycle as transportation... some of the time. Problem is... can either work as the ONLY transportation? I enjoy bike commuting whenever I can, but no way I can live/work with ONLY a motorcycle. Same goes for EV. You can argue till the cows come home it is possible, but yeah... there are diehard riders that make work with only a motorcycle too. However, for the vast majority of car owners, EVs still have too many limitations to make 1-vehicle-only prospects rather unappealing.

So far, most EVs are bought as 2nd or 3rd vehicles. As long as that remains the case, they are not going to achieve wider than 30% adoption that the Toyota chairman predicted.

Right now... a large swath of Houston is without power. Our side of town was spared the brunt of this storm's fury, so we are okay. Apparently at least a couple of main feed lines got hit, so this wasn't just your typical neighborhood utility pole or transformer, that can be fixed fairly quickly. Looking like days, if not a week or longer, before power can be restored for all affected.

Unless you're self-sufficient enough with solar panels or wind turbines to live off the grid, having only an EV is going to put you in an even bigger world of hurt.

I remember right after Hurricane Ike, we were out of power for about a week. Lots of others didn't have power for much longer. I had my generator running 24/7, and all I had to do was to make gasoline runs every other day with four 5-gallon cans to the nearest open gas station that was open, which at the time was some 45min away. An EV would've been useless in that scenario. We actually did quite all right - AC, fridge, hot showers, TV, PS3, blurays, etc.

But... that's if you can shelter in place. What happens if you cannot? 4ft of water in your house? Roof blown away? Trying to flee with your entire family in an ICE vehicle is already dicey enough, but at least if you can escape the immediate affected zone, open gas stations should be easy to find. I just cannot imagine trying to do that in an EV.

For this very reason alone, I am NOT buying an EV.

Right now... a large swath of Houston is without power. Our side of town was spared the brunt of this storm's fury, so we are okay. Apparently at least a couple of main feed lines got hit, so this wasn't just your typical neighborhood utility pole or transformer, that can be fixed fairly quickly. Looking like days, if not a week or longer, before power can be restored for all affected.

Unless you're self-sufficient enough with solar panels or wind turbines to live off the grid, having only an EV is going to put you in an even bigger world of hurt.

I remember right after Hurricane Ike, we were out of power for about a week. Lots of others didn't have power for much longer. I had my generator running 24/7, and all I had to do was to make gasoline runs every other day with four 5-gallon cans to the nearest open gas station that was open, which at the time was some 45min away. An EV would've been useless in that scenario. We actually did quite all right - AC, fridge, hot showers, TV, PS3, blurays, etc.

But... that's if you can shelter in place. What happens if you cannot? 4ft of water in your house? Roof blown away? Trying to flee with your entire family in an ICE vehicle is already dicey enough, but at least if you can escape the immediate affected zone, open gas stations should be easy to find. I just cannot imagine trying to do that in an EV.

All EXCELLENT points!

The streets of Houston are currently littered with Teslas, Rivians, and other electric cars... 🙄

The streets of Houston are currently littered with Teslas, Rivians, and other electric cars... 🙄
I find this hard to believe. You're talking about vehicles that have 200-300 miles of range, so they aren't stuck there. In addition, all EVs are equipped with Ingress Protection, most have IP67, which is rated at 3 ft of water for a 30 minutes (although in real-world tests they tend to do better). Both EVs and ICE vehicles will struggle being submerged in water for any extent of time. I haven't seen anything but the photos of things in Houston, but that was a nasty storm and I don't think any vehicle is going to come out of that without some damage... regardless of power plant.

I find this hard to believe. You're talking about vehicles that have 200-300 miles of range, so they aren't stuck there. In addition, all EVs are equipped with Ingress Protection, most have IP67, which is rated at 3 ft of water for a 30 minutes (although in real-world tests they tend to do better). Both EVs and ICE vehicles will struggle being submerged in water for any extent of time. I haven't seen anything but the photos of things in Houston, but that was a nasty storm and I don't think any vehicle is going to come out of that without some damage... regardless of power plant.
I was being sarcastic. Of course there are none. I thought the rolling eyes emoji gave it away.

Looks like the EV world is collapsing...what new tax will be created to prop these abominations up?
The same one's that prop up the oil industry? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The oil and gas industry is expected to reap $1.7 billion in 2025 from the intangible drilling tax break, and $9.7 billion over the next 10 years, according to the White House. It is expected to realize $880 million in benefits from the depletion allowance tax break in 2025, and $15.6 billion by 2034.

Last edited:
Back