• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Handlebars for '14 DL650--Recommendations??

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I know, sometimes it can be very dangerous to post questions for recommendations on TWT because someone will either make some smart remark or tell me to go to another forum. But since there are a lot of Wee Strom riders on here I thought I would ask.

I have been riding a 2014 DL650 since 2015 and in general loved it. Periodically on long distance rides I have had issues with neck, shoulder and arm pain. Last year we went to Arizona and NM. Almost everyday I had to fidget while riding to reduce or relieve the pain.

I've read the posts on ADV Rider and Stromtroopers and it appears the factory bars are the cause.

The more I explore riding position and bar position/type/size, the more confused I get. It almost seems like you've got to be an engineer to figure out options. Hence my question here.

I have Rox adjustable risers. They help a bit. I've adjusted the angles of the bar multiple times.

What advice do you have on selecting a new handlebar set-up for the '14 DL650? We're heading out the end of August for Canada and I do not want to go through another long trip dealing with the pain and irritation and distraction.

Handle bar questions are like ask what kind of oil to use 🙄 it's personal
But I have a 15 DL650 xt and I am 6'3 with a 35" sleeve length and if you are shorter no wonder you are having issues, all I done is use a 1" up riser till the bars back a little and that fix my problem all I can say is your going to have experiment to find your fit I wish I could help you with more about were to start, maybe play with the riser and bar tilt some more.

Ive seen posts from folks who swear by the ProTaper SE ATV mid bend bars. The pullback is different from the Stock Strom bars & changes the wrist angle slightly.

Ive used the MSR ATV high bars without needing to use riser blocks or pivots.
I think the ones on Gold Fender below...are the MSR ATV mid bars...not high

MSRs were le$$ than ProTapers back then....But no longer avail
Pro Taper now has the Sport version for le$$ than the SE

Attachments

• Tye Dyed Tour Guide Stickerization 008.JPG
    Tye Dyed Tour Guide Stickerization 008.JPG
    623.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Back