• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help Diagnosing starting issue

Reaction score
Hello,
Riding a Yamaha Vstar 650 and having some problems starting. Battery is fairly new. It cranks just fine and the engine turns over, but won’t start up (even when choked). When trying to start, if I give it some throttle it will start right up. Once started it rides perfectly fine as if nothing was wrong.
What are your all suggestions?
Thanks!

Sometimes it your battery doesn't have a full charge, it will turn over but doesn't have enough juice to start. You said the bike starts with a little throttle, check to see if your choke it sticking. Check your battery to see what kind of draw you have on the battery when trying to start it using a volt meter. If it is low like around 9 volts you may need a new battery. Also when your bike is running, bring the rpm up to about 4k and again using a volt meter see if your battery is showing over 14volts. These are some of the things I had to check in the past. Good luck!!

If a little throttle is getting it to start, I'd say it's likely a carb problem. The starter is cranking it, it's getting spark, and it'll run once started. I'd check the choke/enrichener for proper function first.

Starting when giving it throttle is generally a symptom of over rich at idle. Even with the CV carbs of today, opening the throttle butterfly a little bit allows air to leak around the vacuum operated slide. Have your mixture screws been drilled and adjusted? If so, turn them in 1/2 - 1 turn and try that. Keep a record of your turns. As mentioned before, some Yamahas have had voltage problems while cranking. An easy way to check the battery is to use a jump starter or even a low amperage charger while cranking.

Also, if the bike has sat for a while without starting, the carbs may have some build-up and need cleaning.

Back