• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hwy 90 SA to Alpine?

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to the Big Bend area this spring. Whats riding Hwy 90 like from San Antonio to Alpine? Will be riding a 1000 V-Strom with a passenger. I have the option to trailer the bike to Alpine but if Hwy 90 has some interesting stops and nice scenery I'd rather ride.

Great scenery, little traffic and an 80mph speed limit. I'd ride it if I were in your shoes. Beware, fuel can be 100 miles between stops.

+1

That's how we went. It's a great way to get you into the Big Bend mindset. As you get further west, you start feeling like you're getting into a very remote area, which you are. You go by Del Rio and the Amistad Reservoir, Langtry, the bridge over the Pecos River. It's a very scenic laid back trip.

I don't recall 80mph speed limit, but certainly 70 and maybe 75 too. So it's not necessarily slow.

Heed the warning on fuel. Top up whenever you stop for a break.

I'm planning a trip to the Big Bend area this spring. Whats riding Hwy 90 like from San Antonio to Alpine? Will be riding a 1000 V-Strom with a passenger. I have the option to trailer the bike to Alpine but if Hwy 90 has some interesting stops and nice scenery I'd rather ride.

From SA I'd choose 90 over I10 any day for all the reasons you mentioned. I'll take 90 from north of Austin if I have time.

Thanks for the info. I've done some research on the towns along Hwy 90 and found some interesting places to explore along the way. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the info. I've done some research on the towns along Hwy 90 and found some interesting places to explore along the way. Thanks again for your input.

No gas between Del Rio and Sanderson. Must stops along the way.
1)Brackettville, Seminole Indian Scott cemetery, 4 Congressional Medal of Honor soldiers buried there.
2) Del Rio - for gas
3) Pecos River high bridge rest stop. Over looks the Rio Grande & Pecos river confluence.
4) Langtry, Judge Roy Bean, Jersey Lilly Building. Free museum and cactus garden. New building, spotless rest rooms, cold water. Across the street Ice Cream.
5) Sanderson - gas. Brand new multi-island on west side of town at 285 & 90. Big Valero or 7/11.

Wide open spaces, relax and enjoy the ride and scenery. Also several immigration check points along the way.

When I lived in SA we would always take the more scenic 90 on the way to Big Bend then barnstorm home on 10.

Long open spaces, broken up by the occasional ridgeline or slight curve. Keep a camera handy, as the B1 bombers out of dyess often do low level flights in the area. One of those suckers buzz you at low level you may need to clean your shorts too. Unless Sanderson has gotten a new restaurant, there won't be much of anyplace to eat between Del Rio and marathon unless convenience store food appeals to you.

I've done the leg from San Antonio to Del Rio several times. It's an easy ride. There does seem to be some edge traps, but they are fairly simple to deal with.

Mike

Back