• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Incendio En Las Nubes

That IS a cool trailer! What kind is it? Is it home made?

As for the report... post faster!! :popcorn:

I'm not really sure what Hugo told the Policia' but they decided we were of no real threat to the locals and cut us loose. We had about 15 miles of highway to ride before turning off into the mountains. The sun was on its way down and the temps were dropping fast, we really wanted to get a few miles into the hills before setting up camp. Finally reaching the dirt road we started into the mountains in search of a suitable place to camp. Initially the road wasn't too rough, nothing that most riders haven't come across in their travels. As you can see from the picts, the bikes were loaded with camping gear, fuel, food and water as well. This added quite a bit of weight that made the terrain that much more of a challenge.

Here's a video that shows what the first few miles were like:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLu2zTSdOuY"]Mexico Camping Into the Mountain Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another video showing one of the many climbs:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5ZYkBY8g8"]Mexico Camping Average Obsticle Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Hugo's thumb, which had prior damage related to the machine gun exercises mentioned earlier, or was it really just a bee sting, was starting to give him problems.

IMG_2136-L.jpg

Iz and I stayed with Hugo while Norbert scouted ahead for a spot to set up camp. Iz, using his Ka-Bar, sliced through the attacking Mexican bee similar to the way a Ginsu knife cuts through an aluminum can. This skill would come in handy on the next days ride. Norbert periodically reports back over the radio that every inch of land had either rocks or some sort of plant capable of drawing blood. We were getting tired and really wanted to relax and drink our tequila now that it had been properly chilled and shaken. As we squeeze Hugo's hand back into his glove Norbert continued to report over the radio. At last some broken Spanglish came through and I'm honestly not sure what he said but Iz mounted up and again yelled "Follow Me"!

We rode up and found Norbert in what I'll call the perfect spot. It was a dried up pond that was free of rocks and plants. We unpack the bikes and set up camp.

IMG_43282-L.jpg

Last edited:
ahhhh, I can't take all this waiting!! :-P Post faster!! :rofl:

Looking like a great trip, I can't wait to read all about it..

Gary

"That IS a cool trailer! What kind is it? Is it home made?

I welded the trailer in my garage, started with an old boat trailer from the local flea market, cut 6 foot off of it and wallah...I can do this kind of thing because..."My old man is a television repairman - he's got this ultimate set of tools."

Hugo! Hold on tight to that "wild cabrito" let the night sky take over.

Attachments

• DSC00221_zps00407429.jpg
    DSC00221_zps00407429.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 219
So this was supposed to be 3 days and two nights of camping. It is just night one and Norbx40 would already rather prepare his socks for dinner than the dehydrated camp food:

Socks_zps86d3d7ee.jpg

A good camp fire always does the trick when you're out in the wilds, even if it is mostly fueled by old dead cactus:

fire_zpsabb977f7.jpg

We listened to all kinds of music by iPhone in our little amphitheater and killed the better part of three different flasks of three different brands of Tequila, life is good and I can't wait to see the sun rise over this mountain scape(Stingray took this picture as we got to camp)

view_zps0b58e99b.jpg

These are the best cactus to burn . They burn very bright and hot for a good while. Then they create a glowing tube for a long time. The bright lite they created filled the caldera for 200 feet up the hills. The tall cactus appeared as spectators to our tequila circus. Wow what a blast!

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4336 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_4336 (1280x960).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 203
My posts are not what they should be,but I sure can roll with an adventure ride . Watch whats to come.

As our night of telling lies and solving the world problems comes to sleepy time, the rain started:

rain_zps54f6e7a5.jpg

I don't have any pictures from inside the one man tent partially because there isn't enough room for all my junk and a way to aim the camera, rained for about 12 hours.

signs_zpsdd29fe2f.jpg

-Starlight Theatre Out House Wall-

Sun is up now, we dress into our riding gear and rain suits from inside our little shelters:

camp_zpsefc25c0d.jpg

Rain sort of stops right as we are ready to roll out of camp:

campcactus_zps6b615587.jpg

Now that we are back on the trail, the great debate begins, should we turn around or continue into the clouds and the unkown mountain pass ahead of us?

-Stingray insists that we push on, reluctantly we agree-

Scott_zps41435efc.jpg

A few more pictures of breaking down camp:

DSC00227-L.jpg

If we'd have stayed much longer we could have watched our perfect little camping spot turn back into a pond:

DSC00230-L.jpg

While still lying in our tents hoping the rain was going to stop we started talking back and forth trying to figure out what everyone wanted to do. We were basically at the same location we had reached on a surveying trip last spring but were forced to turn around due to lack of daylight, plus we couldn't find a path further into the mountains. Since that time Iz had done a lot of research on programs such as Google Maps/Earth and felt he could lead us through the path but now that everything was wet, muddy and slippery we were thinking that this might not be the best time to explore. We pretty much had the general consensus to pack up and head back to Presidio.

Here's a video leaving camp:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDx-v0mgAn8"]Mexico Camping Leaving Camp Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

We rode down the hill and stopped at a little pond, the exact spot where we were forced to turn around last spring. At that time we had one final discussion about which way to go. Iz put on his commander and chief scarf and with his trusty Ka-Bar and head lamp gave a speech that even the great General Patton would have been proud of. If my memory was better I would try to recite it. I can tell you that it ended with him shouting "Follow Me"!

Iz-L.jpg

Here's some video of us leaving the road in search of the great Dragon Trail:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHkshZ8BHkY"]Mexico Camping Finding Our Way In Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
For a short time we followed the remembrance of an old road but it quickly ended and we found ourselves on old cow trails that ran in and out of various creek beds while winding through the hills. The cloud base was low so visibility was poor which gave it a bit of an eerie feeling.

We stopped here to shed some layers as we were working harder with the rough terrain and were starting to overheat.

IMG_2157-XL.jpg

Here's video of one of the first obstacles we had to overcome as a group. There were many where we had to move the bikes through one at a time. This one we believe will soon be some sort of public road.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KpOtsJHxE"]Mexico Camping Future Interstate Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Iz taking his turn at it.​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepKOtiGhV8"]Mexico Camping Iz through obsticle Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

On yet another descent into a creek bottom Iz almost rode off of a cliff. It was maybe only 15ft high but still would not have been fun. He directed the rest of us around and then found his own way down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrHpLdD9_E"]Mexico Camping Iz dropping into river bottom Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Stopping for a quick lunch break.
IMG_4355-L.jpg

IMG_4358-L.jpg

Each time we arrived at a different obstacle we'd take turns hiking in to determine the best route for the bikes. Here Norbert is taking his turn.
IMG_2165-L.jpg

Sometimes a hike up the hill was required to get a better look ahead. If look closely you can see Iz on top of this hill.
IMG_4346-L.jpg

He took one of us at the same location.
IMG_2164-L.jpg

We spent several hours working our way through these types of obstacles. With each one you couldn't help but wonder if we had finally arrived at an impassable obstacle. Turning around didn't seem like an appealing option either.

Sometimes the brush needed a little clearing. Good thing Iz had the Ka-Bar.
DSC00244-L.jpg

This section was a little tricky.​
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQz6i_TyG8Y"]Mexico Camping Crossing Creek Nov 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

We knew there was an old mine towards the end of our trail. At one point we noticed an old pick axe sitting on a big rock in the river bottom so we knew we were getting close. There was a small spring pooling out of the ground next to where the pick was lying. We weren't sure if this thing had been there for a hundred years or if it saw recent use. It sure looked like it had been there awhile but we chose not to mess with it. Soon after we ran across one of the mine shafts up on the mountain side.

IMG_4364-L.jpg

A mile or so later we ran across traces of the old buildings used to support the mines.
DSC00249-L.jpg

About this time we started seeing a few farmers and goat herders. One guy was living in one of the old mining buildings that he had fixed up a bit. From here on out the trail had turned back into two track so we made pretty good time. We rode up on a rancher and stopped to talk with him a bit. He was a really nice guy and was glad to talk with us.

IMG_4366-L.jpg

I got a kick out of one of the horses that was in a pin across from where we were parked. The rock wall was just about as tall as he was but he was so curious about what was going on that he kept jumping up to have a look at us.
IMG_4367-L.jpg

Well from here on out was pretty easy riding. We rode a mile or two outside the mountain range and stopped to have a discussion. We had originally planned to go to a nearby canyon to see if there was a way through it. We had planned to camp a second night down there but at this point all of our gear was soaking wet and we decided to switch to plan B and save the canyon adventure for the next trip. Plan B was to ride in the Big Bend Ranch, there was another mountain to cross......

We rode back into Presidio and checked out of the country.

IMG_2167-L.jpg

I'll let my buddies tell that story if they are so inclined. :rider:

Here's video of one of the first obstacles we had to overcome as a group. There were many where we had to move the bikes through one at a time. This one we believe will soon be some sort of public road.

When you first started the RR, I thought, wish I was there. :rider:

But then I saw the obstacles! :eek2: Glad I was not :giveup:

Ha!
Oh, that's great!
What a cute lil guy.
(Uh, I was referring to the horse, but ok, Izz, you're cute too.)
Hang on to that horn, cowboy!

Ha!
Oh, that's great!
What a cute lil guy.
(Uh, I was referring to the horse, but ok, Izz, you're cute too.)
Hang on to that horn, cowboy!

SpiritAtBay, that's the picture that originated the name El Conquistador!. You should ask him where that one came from. That's another great story without a ride report.;-)

SpiritAtBay, that's the picture that originated the name El Conquistador!. You should ask him where that one came from. That's another great story without a ride report.;-)

That trip was one of the original exploration trips we made to the mountians outside OJ. Here's some picts/videos from it, think most of them were post at one time or another.

DSCF0931-L.jpg

100_0636-L.jpg

DSCF0848-L.jpg

IMG_0663-L.jpg

IMG_0686-L.jpg

DSCF0865-L.jpg

100_0621-L.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5kV_RAM7g"]Our Conquistador 2012.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf12qs5qoNI"]Aqua Man BBSP 2012.wma.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Back