• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Mark that is silly, KLR sportsbike? Sure you didn't eat a funny mushroom that day? Lol

Your bike would be in good hands with Slaugo, he really knows his KLR stuff.

Your KLR did impress me how it could keep up with the bigger bikes on road. Even able to pull on that semi at speed up a long grade. You definitely have your bike sorted out well.
That fuel vapor lock never re-occurred? Did you ever investigate the cause?

_

Thanks Dave,
About the vapor/vacuum lock, it's been know to happen when too much fuel is topped off. The rain prolly didn't help but since it didn't happen I wasn't worried about it. Of course I didn't cram that much fuel in it again on the entire trip.
Of course I was worried about the higher speed your big bikes travel at, as my mileage really drops up around 90 mph and with the budget I was on and the amount of food and equipment I brought I was happy with fuel mileage in the mid 40's. Of course I would have liked the mid 50's but with Ken and John and your help with those beers on the last night I was able to make it home with $7 bucks of the $110 I took for the trip :)

I was absolutely gapping to unload the gear and enjoy the ride on Saturday with the climbs and train track adventure we had.
Hope to do another similar ride in the same area again some day. Thanks for making the ride so enjoyable! Always a pleasure to see someone handle a Teneré like you did.

Thanks Dave,
About the vapor/vacuum lock, it's been know to happen when too much fuel is topped off. The rain prolly didn't help but since it didn't happen I wasn't worried about it. Of course I didn't cram that much fuel in it again on the entire trip.
Of course I was worried about the higher speed your big bikes travel at, as my mileage really drops up around 90 mph and with the budget I was on and the amount of food and equipment I brought I was happy with fuel mileage in the mid 40's. Of course I would have liked the mid 50's but with Ken and John and your help with those beers on the last night I was able to make it home with $7 bucks of the $110 I took for the trip :)

I was absolutely gapping to unload the gear and enjoy the ride on Saturday with the climbs and train track adventure we had.
Hope to do another similar ride in the same area again some day. Thanks for making the ride so enjoyable! Always a pleasure to see someone handle a Teneré like you did.
That 685 kit seems to be the bomb! :clap: The fairing thing was just an impression, SB...:sun:

I've been lurking for a while now, finally got around to registering. Got a quick question for you..

Thinking about grabbing an '02 KLR, but the PO put supermoto wheels on it. Besides ebay and ADVrider, you all know of a place to grab some original wheels? I could always buy new rims/spokes and have JT's build me a set, but that kind of defeats how cheap the bike is.

If I do grab it, any chance I could meet up with y'all for a doohickey inspection? (bike has 7k miles on it)

-Patrick

Welcome, you should be able to trade the SM wheels for a set of dirt rims pretty easily. Plus perhaps even get some extra cash thrown in since they're more valuable than the dirt rims.
If it were me I'd just through some 50/50 or 60/40 tires on the SM wheels and keep both options.
If you do get the 02 feel free to PM me and we can look and see if the Doo was done.

Congrats, not everyone can afford a KLR :rider:

Outside of being virtually indestructible, one of the coolest things about KLR's is the abundance of stuff available - and usually reasonably priced. Wheels should be no problem. 7K miles on an '02...PO must have used it for yard decoration. Also expect to replace other stuff like cables, hoses...you know, things that just don't age well.

Well.....

Went out and got myself that KLR I mentioned above. Turns out it is a 2003 and it came with the original rims and spokes, neatly organized and labeled in plastic wrap :clap:. The previous owner used the original hubs for the SM wheels that are currently mounted.

Guessing it is the ugliest bike on this message board. I'll post a photo tomorrow when I get a chance to drag it to work for the first time.

Doing a light tear down to check everything out on Sunday. I'm not 100% comfortable installing the Doo by myself (again, not sure if it was replaced), so I might take you up on that offer chiricahua.

Well.....

Went out and got myself that KLR I mentioned above. Turns out it is a 2003 and it came with the original rims and spokes, neatly organized and labeled in plastic wrap :clap:. The previous owner used the original hubs for the SM wheels that are currently mounted.

Guessing it is the ugliest bike on this message board. I'll post a photo tomorrow when I get a chance to drag it to work for the first time.

Doing a light tear down to check everything out on Sunday. I'm not 100% comfortable installing the Doo by myself (again, not sure if it was replaced), so I might take you up on that offer chiricahua.

I rather doubt that, though KLR plastic with any age seems to fade to an ugly flat color vs the tank that's shiny. :lol2: I never worried that much about looks and the KLR has the function I need now that I live down 2 miles of the most primitive private road you'll ever come across. We just got a mud hole fixed down the road that kept my car grounded for weeks during all the rain. No sweat on the KLR. I wouldn't have wanted to take my SV or my old GL1100A Wing through that. :rofl:

Anyway, if this site has a KLR rat bike contest, I think I could give you a run...:rofl:

Last edited:
Well Jack, here you go :eek2:

Long shot, but I'm wanting to grab some original wheels if anyone wants to sell some. I'm going to make a WTB ad on a couple of sites here in a minute, but I thought I would ask.

image.jpg

:rider::rider::rider:

Heck, THAT'S SHARP! I'd keep it tarded, love the look of the brake! Might want a 4 pot Brembo on it, though. And, that bike has actually been washed. Only time mine gets washed is in the mud puddles and I think it might still have some deer blood on it from last season. :D

I think the little 92 carbine adds some class, though. :rofl:

wv8h2w.jpg

33uejxy.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know if you want to bring it by my house. I'm off today and tomorrow (Friday). We can check it out. Never a charge to work on a KLR :)

Thanks for the kind offer. I must have been out of town, just saw this post. I have been very busy at work and also getting set up for my 9 year old son's venture into raising chickens. Chicken tractor construction and such. I think my bike experiences periodic vapor lock issues as this problem has happened on several other occasions with no water or mud as variables. I may go ahead and do the t-mod anyway.

Well.....

Nice looking bike :) let me know if you need help. Free this weekend.

Thanks for the kind offer. I must have been out of town, just saw this post. I have been very busy at work and also getting set up for my 9 year old son's venture into raising chickens. Chicken tractor construction and such. I think my bike experiences periodic vapor lock issues as this problem has happened on several other occasions with no water or mud as variables. I may go ahead and do the t-mod anyway.

No worries, free this weekend. Let me know.

Well.....

It's a good thing the bike is an 03 instead of an 02. The 03's have much better suspension :trust: and are definitely the fastest of the breed ! :rider:

Well.....

Got your PM. Congrats. Let me know if you need any help. Ride on, be safe!

Got your PM. Congrats. Let me know if you need any help. Ride on, be safe!

Thanks! The only thing I need to check on at this point is to see if the Doo was done. Took it out for about 800 miles this past week up through the dirt and twisties up in Arkansas.

17.jpg

I put up a few photos from the trip HERE if you want to look at 'em.

I need a windscreen like that. Mine's cracked, anyway.

I've got an extra one if you need it. It's huge. Looks like a sail and makes driving at night kind of dangerous. Does a it's job perfectly, but could be cut down. Fits on the original fairing. I'm in Austin if you're serious.

Back