• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for suggestions on phone mounts

Reaction score
Looking for a solid mount without breaking the bank. I know you get what you pay for just looking for the best value for my money.

RAM X-Grip works well. Use the girdle for vibration reduction. On several bikes I've replaced handlebar bolts at the triples with bolts headed with RAM balls, it's an easy mounting solution.

odT3yadh.jpg

BPOcjBNh.jpg

Just something to consider and accept the risk when doing this.

That's official from Apple but the problem exists for Android phones as well, there's a plethora of articles out there.

I don't put mine on the bars anymore after my x-grip mount failed tossing my 2 month old phone down the highway.

I did have success with one similar to Jeff's using an old phone I didn't care about while testing gps apps on a trip. Worked very well.

I've seen the X-grip toss a few phones as well. That's why I made the switch to the one I linked above.

I don't put my personal phone on the bars, but I put my $150 Amazon cheapo Android phone that I use for GPS up there.

Actually, just moved it to the stock GPS mount position above my TFT on my 390 Adventure recently. Hoping that is sturdy as the bar mount has been.

If you have a somewhat newer phone with an image stabilization camera you might want to keep this in mind-

Not saying there aren't options out there, just something to consider when buying.

Looks like GixxerJason beat me to it :).

I've been using this, and bulky is the only problem I have with it. It does hold the phone well and claims to have vibration reduction built in.

That's official from Apple but the problem exists for Android phones as well, there's a plethora of articles out there.

I don't put mine on the bars anymore after my x-grip mount failed tossing my 2 month old phone down the highway.

I did have success with one similar to Jeff's using an old phone I didn't care about while testing gps apps on a trip. Worked very well.
I'm well over 100k miles on X-Grips and never an issue, but I always use the girdle and orient it so that it cradles the phone. Even in tip-overs the phone's stayed parked.

Well after all the warnings🤔 I just got a new tank bag with a clear phone pocket on top I might just try that for a while. I wanted it for navigation and was not sure about looking down at it while riding.

Well after all the warnings🤔 I just got a new tank bag with a clear phone pocket on top I might just try that for a while. I wanted it for navigation and was not sure about looking down at it while riding.
Problem with that is they will sometimes overheat on a sunny day.

You may or may not have camera problems if mounted and your phone will most likely overheat in your tank bag's map pocket. Get a dedicated motorcycle GPS, i.e. a Garmin XT or 396.

Hondo Garage. Dropped my Tenere multiple times (very low speed) on the Continental divide ride, phone never moved

They have an isolator too.

You may or may not have camera problems if mounted and your phone will most likely overheat in your tank bag's map pocket. Get a dedicated motorcycle GPS, i.e. a Garmin XT or 396.
I have a GPS for when I loose phone signal, I live rural area of East Texas I just like the navigation apps on my phone.

I’ve overheated my phone a few times on the map pocket. It made me quite grumpy when I realized half of my ride hadn’t been tracked.

Wasn’t there a clamshell mount out on the market? I would prefer something covering the phone so it doesn’t get as exposed to the elements.

I’ve overheated my phone a few times on the map pocket. It made me quite grumpy when I realized half of my ride hadn’t been tracked.

Wasn’t there a clamshell mount out on the market? I would prefer something covering the phone so it doesn’t get as exposed to the elements.
I'm not sure but I would like to find a good one so far it looks like there are lots of problems that I hadn't thought of, never thought of it overheating.

I've used X-grip for close to 10yrs now, with no problem. Mostly on bikes where the phone is positioned more-or-less protected by the windscreen. I've ridden with it on naked bikes too, but I would be leery of the phone catching full blast at higher fwy speeds... with any phone mount.

When I totaled the VFR1200F, the impact was violent enough to rip the top case clean off the stout SW-Motech mount. My phone stayed planted in the X-grip. I know it took a hard whack, because the ball socket arm position moved quite a bit... and I usually crank the lock levers down pretty tight.

I don't bother with the add-on strap either. My X-grips are old enough the rubber feet have started to deteriorate. Amazon has replacements for $6.49/set.

Quad lock is very popular, but I'm not a fan. They don't make a case for my phone. I prefer to pick my own phone case anyway. Besides, I don't like the bulk it adds to the phone case. I prefer a thin magnetic mount disc on the back of the case for home and auto use.

I've used X-grip for close to 10yrs now, with no problem. Mostly on bikes where the phone is positioned more-or-less protected by the windscreen. I've ridden with it on naked bikes too, but I would be leery of the phone catching full blast at higher fwy speeds... with any phone mount.
Main thing is to make sure the rubber fingers are glued on. Mine weren't and one worked its way off, when it did, the phone flipped right out of the mount. Many have had this failure and as I understand newer X-Grips come with glue to put on them as I've been told.

Yes, I've watched YT vid that showed their phones slipping slowly off the X-grip, until it flipped off the mount. If mine had shown any sign of that slippage after a ride, I would be concerned too. So far, I've yet to spot any.

Mine are actually the older one with shorter X arms, back when most phones are quite a bit smaller than the phablets they are today. Maybe this has a side benefit of making the arms gripping my phone rather tightly, as the arms are stretched to closer to the max travel limit.

Can attest - my iPhone 12 camera was affected by handlebar vibrations. Essentially, it could no longer focus. Was a $79 fix.

I use the following mount for my phone. I ruined my camera before I added the vibration isolator. If you hit a big pothole using the X-grip you could be watching your phone go flying down the freeway like a few people I know. I've carried my phone in this mount on some aggressive off-road trails and haven't had it come out yet.

I'm a Quad Lock guy myself; most secure system I've found yet. I think using a GoPro mounting base (secured to the back of a good phone case), then attached to a Ram mount using this would be a cheap alternative.

Back