• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle spare key in Houston

Reaction score
First Name
Patricia
I am looking for someone who can make me a spare key. I have the Kawasaki original blank and the guy whom I bought the bike from told me he had tried everywhere and couldn't find a place. He said ACE hardware and other stores don't do motorcycle keys, he tried.

So, before I start wasting my time checking places endlessly, does anyone know where in Houston a store is making motorcycle spare keys? (preferrably NW area but I don't mind driving)

Thanks!

I had to go to a locksmith (Cothran's in Austin) to cut a BMW key after I purchased the blank from the dealer. It seems they use steel blanks instead of brass and it takes a special machine. The Kawasaki Councours key was nothing more than a double sided key. Nothing special about it, in fact the locksmith sold generic Ilco blanks for it.

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks3.html

Last edited:
I had just the one key with the Katana I had bought used years ago and got the same story from the dealer. I was able to go to the local Ace Hardware store here in Coppell and got a copy made, no problem......and the key worked. Now, perhaps some of the other stores carry different stuff. I think they are individually owned, so you might check around your area.

Don

I think Chris (The Big Spank Daddy) has had spare keys made at a locksmith in Katy. I'll ask him tonight and send you an e-mail.

I know we've had some made, cuz we have 2 keys for each bike.

Patricia, try Saylor Safe & Lock. They are @ 1/2 block west of Jones Road on Cypress North Houston. They made spare keys for my Triumph, so I bet they've got blanks for your Kawasaki too. Their phone # is 281-469-8027.

Ace Hardware does make motorcycle keys, at least in Arlington. I have had keys made fow a Nighthawk and a shadow. The trick is finding the right blank to use but it is not that big of a deal.

Reid

http://www.allensafelock.com/
936-447-4769
Jim Allen is the owner, his shop is on 105 in Conroe. Not sure what time he closes but has made keys for others in the SCRC chapter.
Tell him Nancy sent you if you go in there. He's right by Fajita Jacks.

Texian said:
Paul, I was wondering if you were going to pop in on this thread.:-P
O.K., I deserve that. Lesson learned the hard way. :doh:

Some things you just have to keep to yourself or the photos will out live you . the only redemption is keep your camera ready for that get even day.
For your bike key find a professional lock shop , they shouldnt have a problum with it , keys made at part time key copy places have about a 50-50 chance of working . SEYA

Some of the Nippon dealers (Japanese) have this neat tool where you take the number from the ignition insert your blank and they cut one. It is pretty neat system, it notches them unlike a cutting machine. Spare key , whats that. I have one key and I keep up with it or walk:doh: if I get another I am afraid I well forget or lose my original some place.

I've had keys for my conc made at B&B locksmith, on Mason Rd, just south of Kingsland, in the Katy Area.

Back