• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My paternal grandparents

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab So I'll put something out here first. My Dad's parents are nearing the end of their long lives. After 65 years of marriage, my Grandmother has advanced Alsheimer's and has reached the stage where she has no idea who anyone is, who she is, or what is going on. Yet otherwise she is fairly healthy and could live for some time. My Grandfather has had to sell his home of 50 years to help pay for her care. He has moved in with one of my uncles. Now he is starting to have numerous medical issues on top of dealing with having lost a wife even though she is still alive.

:tab I realize that we all die eventually. We all hope for it to be quick and painless. Not everyone is so lucky. Many linger and suffer for years. It can be easy for someone in this position to become bitter, angry, and despondent. My Grandfather is a wonderful man and it pains me to see him going through this. I ask that you would pray that he be able to persevere, to endure the humiliation of being poked and prodded, all the while knowing that it can only delay the inevitable. I would also ask that you pray for my Grandmother. How can any of us know if she is even aware of herself anymore? Is she aware beneath the affects of the disease? I'd like to think not, but we can never know.

:tab Often, before the physical death comes the death of dignity. Please pray for our extended family as we try to help Grandad cope with the difficulties, that we would still treat him as an adult and not as someone who cannot make his own decisions, that we not make him feel like he is just a burden and that we'd all be better off it both of them would just go ahead and die. We all need to feel loved and wanted, to know that we matter.

Adios,

Scott,

This blessing is for you and all of your family

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May His face shine upon you.
May He walk with you in troubled times.
May He dance with you in joyful times.
May He pick you up when you cannot do so yourself.
And may His peace be with you always.
Amen.

In addition to your grandparents, I'll say a prayer for your father too, Scott. I can imagine how difficult it is for Vernon to watch his parents slip away a little bit at a time.

Howdy,

:tab Well, after 89 years, a long drawn out end from Alzheimers, my Dad's Mom passed away early Saturday morning 5/15/04. For the last week and a half she was nonresponsive, could not be fed or given water, basically comatose. She was on 24 hr hospice care right up until the end. We have mixed feelings about it. After all, she has effectively been dead to us for several years as a person because her mind had completely gone away to the point where she could not even talk, had not idea what was happening around here or who anyone was. What a horrible way to die! The other side of the coin is that finally she has died and is no longer suffering. She was a dear woman and has been, and will continue to be, sorely missed. At least she gets to meet our first three kiddos before we do! ;-)

:tab We're going to the funeral tomorrow, 5/17/04. Grand Dad seems to be doing okay, Obviously this was not a shock and he has had a lot of time to come to terms with it. They were married for over 60 years! He's 86 or so I think and is doing fairly well health wise. Most of his friends are gone now and all he has left are the kids, grand kids and great grand kids!

Adios,

Scott, I'm sorry for your loss, but can appreciate the way you and your family are handling it. Unfortunately, we have become insulated as a society, on our own mortality. In the old days, we were born at home, and we died at home, and more often than not, the deceased were prepped at home, for burial. Now that it has been taken over by hospitals, and funeral homes, it is easier to forget death, and force it from our minds. Your family is fortunate that you understand the cycle, and the promise of Him, that we are here but for a little while, and that for those who believe and serve Him, it is not the end, but the true beginning. She is in a better place, and, I can't help but feel it will be a burden off of your grandpa too, knowing she is no longer suffering in a mind that was holding her hostage. I will put your family in my prayers.
TR
Brady TX

Condolences, Scott. My folks live with us, and I'm sure we'll be increasingly dealing with geriatric issues over time. Sounds like you're family has good strength to deal with this.

All the best...paul

Scott, our hearts are with you and yours. Ellen's grandfather passed last month (while I was off in Tennessee) after a long bout with congestive heart failure. It was both a terrible loss for the family but also a great relief that he was finally no longer in pain and suffering and that Ellens grandmother could mourn the loss but also move on.

My thoughts are with you and your family in this time of sorrow. The heavens above are pouring down their tears for you.

Sorry to hear of your loss. My grandmother died a protracted death at much too early of an age from COPD. She spent the last three years of her life in a hospital and was resusitated one three occasions before the living wills became law. While we still think fondly of her on a regular basis, and miss her immensly, we know she is in a better place without pain and suffering.

The pain of loss will pass with time, and all that will remain are the wonderful memories. All I can hope for is a quick and dignified death in the end. Your grandmother has regained her dignity that I'm sure she had before the the onslaught of Alzheimer's disease. Let us know her name and I'll make a donation to https://id43.securedata.net/alzheimersinfo/secure_donations.htm in her name.

Heart Felt Prayers

Scott and Beth,

My heart felt prayers go out to you and your family at this time. She is in a better place..........

Scott, Beth and family,

I watched my paternal grandmother go through the same thing several years ago. It may come as little comfort now but you can take solice in the fact that the suffering she endured in life didn't follow her to the after-life.
I know you and your family will greeve the loss of your grandmother but don't forget to celebrate her life.

In my prayers...

I have always prayed specifically for those I know, myself, my enimies (for me a hard one) and many other issues. One thing I always include in my prayers, "God, please bless those who need You that I do not know or who do not or cannot ask You." I include this in my prayers because there are so many who need this sentence that may ask for it and I do not know them, or do not ask and need it.

Either way, please know that any and all requests (asked for or not) are always in my prayers.

For those of you who also pray, try including this in your prayers. I find it extremely fulfilling without asking.

Just my opinion.

Also, on a medical note. I did read Tourmeister's sticky regarding this index. I have 14+ years medical experience. If anyone ever needs help with medical issues (opinions regarding medical research, diagnosis, symptoms, etc), please let me know via email (Hur600@aol.com). Within the motorcycle communities I know, I have been there for many motorcyclists/families/friends regarding injuries on the bike or nothing to do with the bike. I would be happy to extend that to anyone that needs it. If you are in the DFW area, I can even meet you if needed. But, without asking, all of you are always in my prayers...period.

:mrgreen:

If you need :help: , all you have to do is ask.

God bless you and yours,

Karen "Redd" Rich

Back