• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need to replace battery...help!

Silverthief

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Doty
Looks like I need to replace the battery on my bike. I had a hard time starting it this morning, which is unusual for it. So I popped off the seat, and took a look at the battery. Its the original (1998), and it looks like acid is leaking out of the water fill caps.
Well at least on one of them.

My question is, there is no Triumph delaership anywhere near here. How do I find out what battery I need, and where can I get one? Any motorcycle dealership, or even Wally-World? Are they like car batteries, where I just need to know the cranking amps and so on?

I dont want to screw up and buy the wrong thing, I'm still new to this.

Thanks for any help
:rider:

Silverthief said:
Looks like I need to replace the battery on my bike. I had a hard time starting it this morning, which is unusual for it. So I popped off the seat, and took a look at the battery. Its the original (1998), and it looks like acid is leaking out of the water fill caps.
Well at least on one of them.

My question is, there is no Triumph delaership anywhere near here. How do I find out what battery I need, and where can I get one? Any motorcycle dealership, or even Wally-World? Are they like car batteries, where I just need to know the cranking amps and so on?

I dont want to screw up and buy the wrong thing, I'm still new to this.

Thanks for any help
:rider:

It should have a model number on it, get that first and you may be able to go off of that. I don't know where you would go though, sorry. I don't think Walmart or Sears will have motorcycle batteries, I hope I'm wrong.

Model Number Needed

look at the side of the battery and get the model number off it. You can use this number to cross to another brand or order one. Since you have internet use it to cross and locate. I tried a Batteries Plus but it did not last 6 months. What ever you get keep the reciept or make copies as they are printed on thermal paper and "erase"

Any auto part store should be able to come up with a list of suitable batteries. Finding one in stock will be the next trick, but I'll bet any Japanese motorcycle dealership will have one that will work. They'll probably be able to cross reference it as well.

Walmart does carry a range of motorcycle batteries, but as already mentioned, you'll need a number to cross reference.

wczimmerman said:
Walmart does carry a range of motorcycle batteries, but as already mentioned, you'll need a number to cross reference.

And the battery for the core charge.

Re: Model Number Needed

DaveC said:
look at the side of the battery and get the model number off it. You can use this number to cross to another brand or order one. Since you have internet use it to cross and locate. I tried a Batteries Plus but it did not last 6 months. What ever you get keep the reciept or make copies as they are printed on thermal paper and "erase"

Crap! My new battery is from Batteries Plus.

found the battery model number. also found a couple of places online that stock it. I'll give Wal-Mart a try tomorrow.

Which battery is it? I have always used Yuasa, but I believe there are other good batteries out there as well. If its a common battery, you could probably find a dealer that stocks a Yuasa if you wanted. Or I am sure Interstate Battery center will have one for ya if you want an aftermarket one. They have centers all around.
Good luck,
Vaughn

Re: Need to replace battery...Tractor Supply!

I found Tractor Supply handles Champion, they may have what you need as lawn tractors and tillers use the some of the same configurations. BTW learn just a little about the batteries you need so when you talk to the parts guy/girl and they get a glazed over look or just can't figure out what you saying you can go some place else. I went to Woods in Austin, not only did they not know any thing but they wanted to charge almost $50 more. I ordered it from the guys in G-town as every one in town would have had to do the same. I paid retail but I got my lead acid in a week.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to order a new one online. Figure it will be easier than running all over town looking for it.
:)

Actually a YB14LA-2 I think is one of the more common sizes. It's also common in ATVs and large riding mowers. You could probably find it at an auto parts store. Or an aircraft supplier, supposedly the VariEze and Long-EZ use it, according to Mr. Google

Here's a list of things that use that size. Walmart would probably have that one.

Silverthief said:
It is a Yuasa. YB14LA-2

That is THE most common battery in the motorcycling world. You should have no trouble finding it anywhere and because it is so common it is also one of the cheapest. :-P

Found the AGM equivelant, the YTX14AHL-BS here at the local yahama dealership. $66 for it, kind of steep but its totally maintanance free.

I'll pick up a battery tender as well.

Im not sure I wouldnt just spend the money on a Yuasa. If its more, its not much more. Maybe what 8 or 10 bucks?

The AGM *IS* a Yuasa. AGM is the designation of one of their versions of maintenance-free batteries.... "absorbed glass mat." It holds the acid gel in place and keeps the plates from shorting against each other.

Also, the "Y" at the beginning of the part number indicates it is a Yuasa-manufactured battery. If not, it would just be a TX14AHL-BS.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Brrrrrraaaaaapppppp Baaaaaaaaaappp aaaaaappppppppp baaaaappppppp brrrrrraaaaaappppppppppppppppppp

Back