• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New body...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
RutRow....

Rusty and I recently returned from shooting Bosque del Apache in San Antonio, NM. While there, Rusty was shooting his FF Canon 5dMkiv and a 7dMkii crop body. I brought along my FF D4s and FF D700. While there, I couldn't help but notice anyone who was someone was shooting crop bodies. More so, the guys with the mortar tube glass in the 400mm and up range. Having conversed with many of them as well as Rusty, I decided there must be some validity to shooting a high-end crop body.

I'll blame this one on Rusty. I returned the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 rental lens to Precision Camera - and walked out with a new D500 crop body. :giveup:

It's a disease folks. A nasty disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
RutRow....

Rusty and I recently returned from shooting Bosque del Apache in San Antonio, NM. While there, Rusty was shooting his FF Canon 5dMkiv and a 7dMkii crop body. I brought along my FF D4s and FF D700. While there, I couldn't help but notice anyone who was someone was shooting crop bodies. More so, the guys with the mortar tube glass in the 400mm and up range. Having conversed with many of them as well as Rusty, I decided there must be some validity to shooting a high-end crop body.

I'll blame this one on Rusty. I returned the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 rental lens to Precision Camera - and walked out with a new D500 crop body. :giveup:

It's a disease folks. A nasty disease.

A terrible disease!!! :help:

Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'd love to pick up a refurb D500 one day.

A terrible disease!!! :help:

Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'd love to pick up a refurb D500 one day.

Precision had a used D500 with 3200 clicks for $1500. I was tempted and in retrospect probably should have gone that route. With new, you only get a year warranty. With used, for an extra $90 you can extend the mfg warranty period an additional 3 years which includes 3 cleanings and check-ups. And B&H has some 'package' deals which toss in some goodies like extra batteries, cards and case for the same that I paid. Yet I DO try to support my local shop so it's all good. That 200-400 f/4 will however come from a no-tax location. Man, that's like $560 in tax alone for it. Yikes.

Precision had a used D500 with 3200 clicks for $1500. I was tempted and in retrospect probably should have gone that route. With new, you only get a year warranty. With used, for an extra $90 you can extend the mfg warranty period an additional 3 years which includes 3 cleanings and check-ups. And B&H has some 'package' deals which toss in some goodies like extra batteries, cards and case for the same that I paid. Yet I DO try to support my local shop so it's all good. That 200-400 f/4 will however come from a no-tax location. Man, that's like $560 in tax alone for it. Yikes.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at supporting the local shops. I'm greedy and like to make my hobby money stretch as far as I can, because there isn't much of it. :doh:

I'm looking forward to what you think auto-focus wise versus the D5.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at supporting the local shops. I'm greedy and like to make my hobby money stretch as far as I can, because there isn't much of it. :doh:

I'm looking forward to what you think auto-focus wise versus the D5.

He only has a D4s so it should be better. :rofl:

I have a picture of your wallet:

tumblr_mjh2msUnAA1s0q4zdo1_500.gif

A new camera thread in the photo section and no picture(s)?
Where are the administrators?
:ponder:

If you are going to go birding, you might as well just jump right in. :trust:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...gh792vMOhoCMWcQAvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1166859

Weight 8.40 lb (3.81 kg)

:eek2:

Scott,

:tab When I sold my D7000 and got the D750, I too discovered that for those long shots with the 70-200, a crop body just seemed to do better than the FF body. It's almost like an auto crop, but without the loss of image quality. So I picked up a D7200, which I really like because the controls on it are almost identical to the D750. I also like to let Sarah use it so we can do walk abouts together with her using the 7200 and me using the 750. This makes it easier for me to explain the controls to her. She's currently working on a photography badge for American Heritage Girls. Last night we were watching YouTube vids on film development.

:tab Back to the subject though... Before Christmas, I was looking at the Nikon 2X Teleconvertor to use with the 70-200. I'd lose 2 stops of light, but that would still make the 70-200 an f/5.6 wide open wouldn't it? That is not too far from the f/4 of the 200-400. Moreover, paired with the crop body and the crop factor of 1.5, wouldn't the 70-200 effectively become a 210-600mm f/5.6 lens, for a LOT less money than the 200-400 f/4 lens? I mean, $1500 for the body, $1500-2000 for the lens, and another $450-500 for the teleconvertor, and you are still less than the $7000 cost of a new 200-400mm f/4, right? Is there some kind of nasty loss in quality using the 2X convertor with the 70-200mm f/2.8 beyond simply the 2 stop loss of light?

Weight 8.40 lb (3.81 kg)

:eek2:

Scott,

:tab When I sold my D7000 and got the D750, I too discovered that for those long shots with the 70-200, a crop body just seemed to do better than the FF body. It's almost like an auto crop, but without the loss of image quality. So I picked up a D7200, which I really like because the controls on it are almost identical to the D750. I also like to let Sarah use it so we can do walk abouts together with her using the 7200 and me using the 750. This makes it easier for me to explain the controls to her. She's currently working on a photography badge for American Heritage Girls. Last night we were watching YouTube vids on film development.

:tab Back to the subject though... Before Christmas, I was looking at the Nikon 2X Teleconvertor to use with the 70-200. I'd lose 2 stops of light, but that would still make the 70-200 an f/5.6 wide open wouldn't it? That is not too far from the f/4 of the 200-400. Moreover, paired with the crop body and the crop factor of 1.5, wouldn't the 70-200 effectively become a 210-600mm f/5.6 lens, for a LOT less money than the 200-400 f/4 lens? I mean, $1500 for the body, $1500-2000 for the lens, and another $450-500 for the teleconvertor, and you are still less than the $7000 cost of a new 200-400mm f/4, right? Is there some kind of nasty loss in quality using the 2X convertor with the 70-200mm f/2.8 beyond simply the 2 stop loss of light?

Scott has a 2x converter, but couldn't get it to work with the 200-400mm rental. You lose some image quality with the 2x, more so than with 1.4x. Most people will opt for the 1.4x. Same holds for the Canon users.

He may be selling the 2x...

Scott has a 2x converter, but couldn't get it to work with the 200-400mm rental. You lose some image quality with the 2x, more so than with 1.4x. Most people will opt for the 1.4x. Same holds for the Canon users.

He may be selling the 2x...

Was he able to make it work with the 70-200?

If the price is right, I might be interested if it is the newest version of it, AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III :trust:

lol.... this thread is funny and I appreciate all your comments. :clap:

TM - you mean this nasty little thing?
i-M2shBGf-X3.jpg

I'll mount it up on the D4s/70-200mm f/2.8 tonight and take it to work tomorrow and see what happens. Supposed to be a bright sunny day (which it will need....) The only part I don't like is, I don't get my f/2.8 and at that focal length that's the gem of that lens in creamy backgrounds. Not sure how the AF works either but we'll see.... And I wonder about the overall IQ. That lens is tack sharp by itself so putting another piece of glass in there will be interesting. I suppose I could tripod it and put up a focus sheet and technically do a test. Naw..... lol

Well, it's not bright and sunny, yet I snagged a few pics for grins with the above setup. Need to charge the D500 battery and see what it does tomorrow I suppose. I shot the 2x at f/5.6, f/8 and around f/22 just to see what the images look like. I suspect at f/22 I'm going to see a LOT of sensor dust bunnies......

Well, it's not bright and sunny, yet I snagged a few pics for grins with the above setup. Need to charge the D500 battery and see what it does tomorrow I suppose. I shot the 2x at f/5.6, f/8 and around f/22 just to see what the images look like. I suspect at f/22 I'm going to see a LOT of sensor dust bunnies......

Post'em up! :cool2:

This afternoon I mounted the TC20Eiii to the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and stuck it on the D4s. The lowest aperture I could get was f/5.6 with this setup which was expected.

Shot a .NEF (RAW) file, imported it to LR, then exported as a .jpg with nothing done other than a lens correction checkbox. Focus point is dead center of the blob of cactus figuring the needles would be good indicators along with the fence.

ISO400
Shutter: 1/400
f/5.6
1/500th second
i-t6RxWKL-X2.jpg

ISO 400
Shutter: 1/400
f/8
1/500th second
i-MDkc7pq-X2.jpg

I'm not sure I can tell the difference and it looks pretty good to me. If anyone is interested (Rusty/TM/Duke) I'll send the RAW and .jpg file and you can pixel peep too/comment.

It looks fine to me, but I have old eyes.... Tomorrow I'll try to run over to the airport and see if I can try to not get kicked out taking pictures with the D500. Which reminds me - I need to go charge that battery and get it out of the box. lol

Last edited:
So here's a stupid low light shot.... Shot at ISO10000 where my ceiling limit was set. I probably could have run this a bit higher to get the exposure right, but you get the point - you can see the noise, but how's the image look? Focus point was on the leading edge/front of the bongo thing.

ISO10000
400mm
f/5.6
1/750
i-FD6ccFG-X2.jpg

Well, pooh. My LR 5.7.1 doesn't support D500 RAW (.nef) files. Looks like I need to upgrade LR or as Rusty says go a different route. I really like the LR product but it's hard for me to commit to a subscription model and pricing. I like to buy it and use it vs renting it. Then again, I'll get some nice features I can go back and revisit previous shots. Hmmmm....

Still trying to get out with D500/2xTC/70-200 today for testing...

Isn't there still a Lightroom offering that is not a subscription? I haven't looked in a year, but last time I did there was still one hold out. I am the same as you though, I don't want a monthly subscription.

Bill, the last standalone version, version 6, was updated in December and was announced to be the last standalone version. It would work with his new camera, but is a dead product. Cloud version is $120 for a year, if paid in advance, and includes Photoshop, LR Classic CC (store data local) and LR CC (stores only in cloud). The later is less useful to pros right now, but the Classic CC is a re-branding last year's CC and is like the standalone. I don't like the monthly payments so I do yearly. Hits about the same time as my Smugmug yearly payment. I'm okay with it because the features of the subscription version keep increasing. If it were a static product, I wouldn't be happy. The old standalone did camera updates and bug fixes, but you had to buy a new version to get new features. Scott managed to skip version 6 by not buying a new camera and not getting sucked in by the minimal new features standalone 6 offered (mainly a better image process engine). The CC version of 6 added some very useful features and now a bunch of speed improvements and masking options.

Back