• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Guy

D

DM164450

Hello, I'm Don in Converse TX.

I'm 65yo, this body is a bit beat up and has a few aftermarket parts installed, I ride pretty slow and I'm not interested in being the first to get anywhere, and I think my bike skills are about average. And I'm happy as all get out to be alive and still able to ride.

I'm a member of DBSA and ride mostly at Zar's. In Sept I went to Cloudcroft by myself and in Oct I went to Big Bend Nat'l park with a friend. It's been pretty difficult to ride these last couple years and I'm in terrible shape. But I'm working on it.

I have a 2015 YZ250FX and a 2009 DRZ400S.

I've been reading here for years and could've sworn I had an account...I sort of remember what my last post was. But for the life of me I couldn't find it. The main reason I re-joined was for that NMBDR thread. Also someone here suggested I join...I'll let him identify himself if he wants to.

Thanks for letting me join.

Hey Don, a Big West Texas Welcome from our herd!! :welcome:

Get in touch with William Wolfen and K Dubya. They are in yer neck of the woods, and are always on the prowl for a little adventure riding!

@budzrex is a Zars member. And welcome! I recognize your username, here, TON, or KTMTALK. lol

Welcome. You are not the only senior member here and are in fact junior to many including me. Age is just a number and life is a crapshoot. I think that it’s important to do what you want and stay as active as possible for as long as possible. I hope you are able to do the NMBDR with the group and on a smaller bike it should be not too difficult at all.

Thanks to eveyone.

Yeah Hump it's a fact: the longer you keep moving, the longer you keep moving.

In 2015 I was playing MSBL baseball, playing hockey, riding dirt bikes, running a bit, and working about 6 months a year.

Then my hips got bad. Had one replaced in 2016, the other in 2021. No more baseball, hockey or running.

I was in Cloudcroft in Sept, had everything loaded up to leave at first light, and someone showed up on a bike. Long story short, he lives in Montgomery TX and was in his 70s. Guy looked in great shape. I wonder if I'll run into him online at some point. There's a guy in our club that's in his 70s and is one of the smoothest riders I know. I love following him and watching his line choices.

I was in Cloudcroft in Sept, had everything loaded up to leave at first light, and someone showed up on a bike. Long story short, he lives in Montgomery TX and was in his 70s.
Definitely sounds like my friend Terry C. He goes there all the time and lives in Montgomery. He's not active on here but if you want I can get you his contact info.

Btw, I'm knocking on 71! Just a number so far.

Definitely sounds like my friend Terry C. He goes there all the time and lives in Montgomery. He's not active on here but if you want I can get you his contact info.

Btw, I'm knocking on 71! Just a number so far.
Probably the same guy. We exchanged contact info. and I have it on my phone. He lives on edited. He was showing me pics of a crash he had...good grief his leg looked a mess. Showed me pics of his house and new pool and I had to tease him and said it looked like a hotel. Big honking house.

Just a super nice guy. Told me he'd show me around the next day...apparently he just about grew up in the area. My entire trip there was a mess and I had to start camping 3 nights early. I rented a cabin for 3 nights and it was terrible...an incredible dump. Good grief. My plan was to stay at the cabin for 3 nights, look for a camping spot as high as I could find, then camp for 2-3 more nights. The cabin was so bad I went camping that night. When I met Terry I was out of food so was packed and ready to head for home.

I rode the bike around Cloudcroft looking for this BBQ place I read about. Got there and the guy was closing the place. Said there had been a conference and he ran out of food. He suggested this other place so I rode there. As I was getting off the bike, a lifted 4x4 pulled up and the guy said, "Hey Texas. Go the expletive home." Nice, glad to be here spending my money, thanks. I went in the restaurant and the lady kept trying to sell me steak and lobster. All I wanted was chicken fried steak. Finally got it and it wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. All in all I just wasn't impressed with Cloudcroft so I'll avoid the town next trips. Terry did tell me about a gas station just outside of town so there's that. The folks at the ranger station were great. I had never been to Cloudcroft and they were very helpful.

No names said publicly as my CC company is working on getting my cabin money back. The place refused.

Edit: woods I edited the word from his street name. I'll PM it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Don. You though me with the Converse City…. Just like Universal City … not CA — Tx😎…. Ride with you soon.

Thank you.

It's funny. A while ago when I told someone Converse, guess she didn't hear me and asked so I said, "Converse...like the shoe." She had no idea there was a shoe by that name.

Sprained my wrist Friday so I'm grounded for a bit. Planned to ride early Christmas morning...we'll see.

Hey Don good to see another Zars guy on here Carl is a member here as well as another of the Zars Retrobates but he does not post here often

Thanks and glad to be here. Couple of us are planning to ride Christmas day. I'm not sure my wrist will be better by then but we'll see. I can almost see the vein on the back of my hand so the swelling is going down.

I thought Carl posted here and also SuzukiQ. But when I couldn't find my old account, I figured I was remembering wrong about it all. I saw Carl Fri morning. I was heading out to cut fire wood. I rode on Thurs and camped Thurs night.

On the other hand, can't wait to get this back. Dropped it off Mon morning and he sent me pics yesterday afternoon. He did my YZFX and it's perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_201044.jpg
    IMG_20221220_201044.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 65
I do not believe I have seen JR (SuzukiQ) post here.

And welcome back Don! Hope you heal up quick. Our aging bodies definitely take a little longer to heal.

I've been reading here for years and could've sworn I had an account...I sort of remember what my last post was. But for the life of me I couldn't find it.
I was kind of confused seeing an intro post from you because I know you have been around for a long time. Shoot me a private message with any email addresses you think you might have used and I can do a search of the user database to see if I can find your original account. If so, then I can merge your new account with the old one if you like, or we can just leave it as it is if you are happy with that :thumb:

Back