• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Offroad stickers

I met a guy riding in AZ Sunday that had a Texas offroad sticker. Turns out he was in NM, and they require offroad stickers. They were out, so they were selling Texas ones since they reconize texas.

So, does texas get the money? Funny stuff there.

Very good, thanks :thumb:

TJ's is the only one I know of. Wanna pick one up for me while you're there? Make that two, if you can.

Which reminds me, I actually have your re-usable imitation tupperware from the Torch Xmas thing at the house.

Used to be able to get sticker at the parks headquarters[Austin].
Don't mind paying but this is kinda a mess,Who's got the stickers???

TJ's is the only one I know of. Wanna pick one up for me while you're there? Make that two, if you can.
TJ's, Whiteside Motors (right around the corner from TJ's) and Woods, according to that source. One of these days I'll figure out a way to get over there... knowing me it'll be the day before the ride and they'll have run out the day before :doh: If you haven't gotten any before I get over there, I'll grab a couple extra. Wish we could just order them online... Maybe I can get Tony to get them, he doesn't live far from TJ's...

Which reminds me, I actually have your re-usable imitation tupperware from the Torch Xmas thing at the house.
:lol2: The wife wasn't counting on ever seeing those again (why she used the disposable 'Ziplock' ones), but they survived this long, guess I might as well get them... unless ya'll can use them...

Used to be able to get sticker at the parks headquarters[Austin].
Don't mind paying but this is kinda a mess,Who's got the stickers???
They definitely don't make it easy to get them. The other way is to fax a form, wait 2 days for them to call you and confirm, then wait another 15 days for it to arrive. What a pain. After looking at the form, I can see why more shops don't sell them... there's no incentive. $80 for a book of 10, and no mark-up is allowed. So, selling them is basically a free service, and if a shop buys a book (or 20) and doesn't sell them all by August, they're out that money, with no profits from the ones sold to balance it... why would a shop want to do that? That's the guberment for ya :argh:

They definitely don't make it easy to get them. The other way is to fax a form, wait 2 days for them to call you and confirm, then wait another 15 days for it to arrive. What a pain. After looking at the form, I can see why more shops don't sell them... there's no incentive. $80 for a book of 10, and no mark-up is allowed. So, selling them is basically a free service, and if a shop buys a book (or 20) and doesn't sell them all by August, they're out that money, with no profits from the ones sold to balance it... why would a shop want to do that? That's the guberment for ya :argh:

And TJ's only takes cash for the stickers. No credit cards. Forgot about that.

Maybe I'll go into the office later this week and swing over and pick some up. Let me know if you make it over there before Thursday. Otherwise I'll grab one for you instead.

And TJ's only takes cash for the stickers. No credit cards. Forgot about that.

Maybe I'll go into the office later this week and swing over and pick some up. Let me know if you make it over there before Thursday. Otherwise I'll grab one for you instead.
They take cash only because it's costs them money to use credit cards...

I'll give you the go-ahead on that if you make it this week. I've got a busy week at work, don't think I'll be able to get away from the office during business hours until next week. Would be nice if Austin Power Sports sold them, I drive by there every day.

Last edited:
I picked one up at Northwest Honda on 290 in Houston today , if you are heading into Houston to work next week it's on the inbound side of the freeway. SEYA

Those stickers sold in NM were paid for first...and the only way to get em is thru the State of TX...so yes, TX gets the money

Any dealer having stickers left in August can turn them in for the next years at no cost...they don't have to eat them.

No it's not easy to get one ....but remember this OHV Department is a dept of one person...and he spends alot of time out in the field trying to get more land opened.

From what I've read that was true last year (plates mean no sticker needed), but the law was changed and as of Jan 1. this year all OHV's needed the sticker.

It's only $8 and goes towards more trails. Why do people want to "get away" with not buying one? They spend more than that on dinner on the way home from a ride.

You have to remember who he was talking to, The Forest Service (The Feds). The Feds don't require the STATE sticker, it's the STATE that requires the sticker of ALL Off Highway Vehicles, plated or not.

To make matters worse, none of the DFW dealers or shops listed on the TPWD information participate anymore. The TPWD office itself does not sell them either. Bottom line for us in north Texas is we either play the fax and wait game, or get someone in another part of the state to purchase and mail to us. Which reminds me of something I need to do.....

To make matters worse, none of the DFW dealers or shops listed on the TPWD information participate anymore. The TPWD office itself does not sell them either. Bottom line for us in north Texas is we either play the fax and wait game, or get someone in another part of the state to purchase and mail to us. Which reminds me of something I need to do.....

I am sure Teeds will be able to work out a deal once a quarter, come to (instert name of resturant here), buy him a beer and pay up for the sticker and he will sell you one. ;-)

There has to be some perks for having the TMTC prez in the DFW area.

Call TPWD 512-389-8917 give em a card # and get your sticker in the mail in about a week.
Go to BMRA
Go to Marshall Creek aka Trophy club park

Tony's in Ozona counting birds

I am sure Teeds will be able to work out a deal once a quarter, come to (instert name of resturant here), buy him a beer and pay up for the sticker and he will sell you one. ;-)

There has to be some perks for having the TMTC prez in the DFW area.

At this juncture, this MAY be the best option.

I can purchase a book or two to carry with me.

I was at BMRA yesterday and they are currently out there as well. They had a run on stickers this weekend with the LSJC folks putting on a big ride there.

Just dont get stuck with a book of stickers you cant get rid of. Sucks to have money tied up in stickers that no one buys. Especially when they run out in august. :)

Just dont get stuck with a book of stickers you cant get rid of. Sucks to have money tied up in stickers that no one buys. Especially when they run out in august. :)

No worries there. Steve will swap '08 stickers that are left over for new ones.

He will be distributing the '09 stickers in July, so I will likely get a book or three then.

There are ten to a book. If people will tell me they want one, I can do a head count and make sure I purchase enough.

I need to get some quasi street tires on my DR and start making the meet and greets this summer anyway. I'll start carrying stickers with me.

copied from the tpwd web site:

A Texas OHV decal can be purchased by calling the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Customer Service Center (CSC). The CSC phone number is: 512-389-8917. The decal cost is $8.00 and can be paid for with a credit card. The decals are valid from September 1 to August 31 each year.

what is wrong with this method?

also copied from same web site:

Do street-legal vehicles need the OHV decal when riding at an OHV venue located on the public lands of Texas?
Yes, street legal motorcycles, street legal full-sized vehicles, full-sized 2-wheel drive vehicles, and 4-wheel drive vehicles need a Texas OHV decal when trail riding on public land. Use of street-legal OHVs on private land or on public roads does not require the Texas OHV decal.

copied from the tpwd web site:

A Texas OHV decal can be purchased by calling the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Customer Service Center (CSC). The CSC phone number is: 512-389-8917. The decal cost is $8.00 and can be paid for with a credit card. The decals are valid from September 1 to August 31 each year.

what is wrong with this method?

also copied from same web site:

Do street-legal vehicles need the OHV decal when riding at an OHV venue located on the public lands of Texas?
Yes, street legal motorcycles, street legal full-sized vehicles, full-sized 2-wheel drive vehicles, and 4-wheel drive vehicles need a Texas OHV decal when trail riding on public land. Use of street-legal OHVs on private land or on public roads does not require the Texas OHV decal.

If it were only that easy.

The service center has been going through some growing pains while moving to a new computer system.

It took them over 4 months to get me my annual pass. We have had many problems trying to get a timely delivery of stickers, but the method that we used last week often does not seem to work this week. Steve is aware of the issues and he has spoken with the service center folks.

I am planning on purchasing some stickers for TMTC that I will carry and sell at pie runs etc.

If it were only that easy.
2 years in a row, I called the number, gave them my card and 5 days later, the sticker was in my hands. It is that easy and I didn't burn any $4.00/gal gasoline to get it.

2 years in a row, I called the number, gave them my card and 5 days later, the sticker was in my hands. It is that easy and I didn't burn any $4.00/gal gasoline to get it.

I'm glad, but the service has not been consistent and the entire state government moved to a unified computer system this spring and the system imploded leaving everyone sitting on their collective thumbs for a while, hense the delay in getting my annual pass.

We have had a heck of a time getting books of stickers.

We'll see how things progress.

They should have let shops mark the stickers up at least a dollar for handling, but alas, the law of unintended consequences bit them on the buns ... it was mandated to be $8 by the lege and so it shall remain.

Still, I hope all find it as easy to get a sticker as you have.

Back