• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Opinions on a new 4 stroke 250

FD404201-CB70-4EF1-B3BF-8571EC2B8A87.jpeg

yz250fx tagged

Off road only?

I ask because I just went through an expensive lesson trying to convert an off road bike to a dual sport and found out that it's harder than you think.

If off road only, there are some really good deals on the new and especially used markets for 4 stroke 250s.

Regarding the MX track. It's definitely easier to ride a MX bike on trails than a trail bike on a MX track. MX bikes are usually lighter and have much tighter gear ratios. Gear ratios can be changed and lighter isn't at all bad for trail riding so they usually work well. A dedicated enduro or cross country bike typically has radiator overflow capacity, 6 speed or wide ratio tansmissions, larger tanks for range, and maybe lighting and trip computers. Most all of that adds weight and makes them not ideal for MX. Bottom line....if you want to do any serious MX riding (meaning jumps) , buy a MX bike.

Pretty much trail bike and occasional Mx track
A very overlooked bike for trails that straddles the casual enduro/MX line is a Kawasaki KLX 300R. Not cheap trail bike suspension like the play bikes but not premium MX suspension either but real good travel and all around adjustable performance that can be tuned well for your needs. Also, as a 300, it's got more grunt from idle than a 250 but more controllable than a 450 allowing you to be smoother threading trees if you're a C rider or lower, like me. As it was originally part of the Kawi-Zuki alliance that also created the 400s of it's time, they were part of a really reliable product line and this new generation 300 will likely be the same. Not a bike for converting to DS though because of a lack of a robust electrical system. I looked at this bike years ago but it didn't have e-start back then and I was also looking to put a full DS kit on it, so the Honda 450X got the nod for that job. I've often wondered if the KLX 300R would have been a better choice for my abilities and I actually never took a trip on the Honda, only rode the trails.

2020 KLX300R First Ride Review

Back