• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #11: Nature

One more from NC.

109_0969.jpg

Wayah Bald Rd? :ponder:

Just a few random thoughts about all the posts here in general. To me, the emphasis on manmade objects in some of these photos takes the focus off of the specific subject -- nature. They're all really great pics in and of themselves, but perhaps they don't fit the category as well as they could because of the incursion of unnatural things within some of the shots. Roads, fences, poles, tires -- they all become distractions of thought when "nature" is supposed to be the primary context.

As is my usual modus, I'm probably over-thinking the design concept way too much. It was just something that came to mind as I browsed through. :shrug:

:tab Tim, are you not a part of nature? Is the ant hill any less a part of nature because the ants have labored mightily to build it? Is the beaver dam any less a part of nature because it is a structure built for a purpose? Why this schism between man and nature?

This is from a trip to NC in 2004. I found this bad boy in the morning before we left to go riding.
DSC02340.JPG

DSC02342.JPG

:tab I don't have any recent pics, but I have TONS of them from over the years, especially bugs and flowers. Had the subject for this competition been the previous one, I could have entered some pics of a Cicada coming out of its shell and spreading its wings. Here are some from a few years back:

bug03.jpg

bug07.jpg

bug09.jpg

bug13.jpg

bug12.jpg

:tab The whole process took about an hour and a half. Once out of the shell, it just clings to the wall and pumps its abdomen. This pushes fluid into the wings and expands them to their full size. I don't know how long it is before they can fly. However, the wings apparently dry out and become brittle over time. I don't know which variety this is. The kids have been finding them dead in the yard for the last week. July is when the adults start dying off after having mated. I have a pile of dead ones laying on the outside window sill on the front porch thanks to the kids. Maybe I'll grab a few shots of them... They're not as colorful as the live one above ;-)

way cool, TM. I've never seen pics of the cicadas like that. :thumb:

Tim, are you not a part of nature? Is the ant hill any less a part of nature because the ants have labored mightily to build it? Is the beaver dam any less a part of nature because it is a structure built for a purpose? Why this schism between man and nature?

I agree, and I thought about that, too. Nadya's examples seemed to give a general context to the theme, however, which led to my aforementioned contemplations.

cool pics of the bugs TM.
My wife's dog brought one of those in the house and stashed it under the bed

Wow. I don't sign on for a few days and there are all sorts of entries. In an attempt to stay impartial I'll with hold comment for now on the work that has been posted. Scott mentioned that we talked briefly about the definition of nature. And in an attempt to clarify (or give you an "in" to my perspective)

I believe nature is still powerful even if there are man made objects around. And occasionally the natural wonder is made even greater with the comparison. That’s the great thing about this topic. It’ll mean different things to different people and that’s mostly what I’m interested in seeing. Sometimes it’s a good idea to see through other people’s eyes. And I think that’s what happens every time a photo is posted in thread!

It's funny that you mentioned buzzards in the other thread....

Yesterday:

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0029ajpga.jpg

Last edited:
Nature. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug
Bug.jpg

They're baaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkkk......
Frog3copy.jpg

Re: Toads and frogs, we've had a family/clutch/herd/group? of frogs for years living under our sidewalk. Every evening they'll come out about dusk but I haven't seen them for quite a while. I guess it's the heat. Yesterday, one decided to go on a walk-about which suprised me. And I've run a few over in the past 15 years in front of the house which always makes me a tad bit sad..... They're like pets. Well as much as a frog could be considered a pet. ;-)

I hate toads. It seems everytime there's a big rain, EVERY toad in the neighborhood think my pool is the place to be. They make that annoying noise ALL NIGHT. Some people like it, but I can't sleep through it. I usually scoop 'em up and vault them a few houses over.

Re: Toads and frogs, we've had a family/clutch/herd/group? of frogs for years living under our sidewalk. Every evening they'll come out about dusk but I haven't seen them for quite a while. I guess it's the heat. Yesterday, one decided to go on a walk-about which suprised me. And I've run a few over in the past 15 years in front of the house which always makes me a tad bit sad..... They're like pets. Well as much as a frog could be considered a pet. ;-)

funny. we have one that lives in our water meter for the past few years. I haven't seen him around this summer, though.

We're watching my sister's dogs, and they are a lot of fun.

They're breading is for hunting/retrieving, but their "nature" can be lazy :lol2:

616273461_6KCM7-L.jpg

thoughts?

I'll probably submit this one, as my entry. Don't know if I'll be able to snap something tonight. Was busy painting the up coming baby's room (you can see a pic in OT)

We're watching my sister's dogs, and they are a lot of fun.

They're breading is for hunting/retrieving, but their "nature" can be lazy :lol2:

thoughts?

I'll probably submit this one, as my entry. Don't know if I'll be able to snap something tonight. Was busy painting the up coming baby's room (you can see a pic in OT)

I would crop the background out of the picture. The tint kinda makes in interesting--just not sure if it's good or bad interesting. Might try taking it all the way to a sepia look.

I brightened up the sepia one some, too

labs.jpg

labs_sepia.jpg

:shrug: just me throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what'll stick.

Last edited:
I kind of like the whole sofa in the pic, and I'm not crazy about the tint, but I just had the camera on auto, I should have taken the time to set the white balance.

The crop is much better than the original..... Maybe sharpen it a bit?

That's a good eye you've got there.

I like the entire sofa in it, to me it gives it a little more context
How about these two...

616530040_PR9em-L.jpg

616528323_9KZvr-L.jpg

Back