• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #24: Paper (ENTRY HERE)

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
Post your single entry for Photo Assignment #24: PAPER - in this thread.

Your photograph has to have been taken between Tuesday Feb 2 and Midnight, Monday Feb 15 2010.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted. Photographs should stand on their own for your interpretation of 'PAPER.'

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until Midnight, Monday Feb 15 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSCF7516.jpg

Voni - the expression just "speaks" but the top/background is very dark and the bottom/foreground is very bright. Distracts my eye away from her face.

Paul - I love the color, detail in his hands, the composition with the shadows, and of course the subject.

Andy - I'm a fan of Manning.

Tracker - sad that it took a crash to get such a wonderful picture. The lighting and focus are great, but there's a lot going on in the picture that wants to draw my eye away from the main content.

Rusty - Looks like Big Bend. I like the overall composition but I think the intent was to tone it down(?) which muted the whole thing and make it sort of "blah" as far as color goes and it doesn't tell my eyes where to focus.

Scott - I like the simplicity of it and it's a poignant subject. Kinda plain though. (And did somebody scribble crayon or blue ink on the opposite page?)

Jamey - next time use your camera instead of your phone. I actually like what you're trying to get at here but it's so grainy it looks like it was taken in the 40's.

Bobby - I share the love for Grainger, but it's too bright and the glare off the covers and that reflective bit behind you take away from it.

Hairsmith - Credit points for the interpretation. It's the "origin of paper". My eye is drawn to the curved branch in the distance though, and then doesn't know where to look. The composition doesn't really draw me in. It almost gives me the look of being blurry because there's too much in focus to look at (?)

txbandit - I like the color, the composition, and the subject. It's got texture and will probably draw emotion from most anyone. I almost didn't realize the pencil point was through the paper, so I'd have liked to see a little more rippage around there. At first glance it was just a blunt end laying on the page. I suppose it wasn't by chance that the pencil was made by "integrity" huh? :lol2:

The winner - Tax Time by txbanditrydr

Last edited:
"USA - Integrity - #2"

Getting a little political are we?? :rofl:

// I love it! Great message, great image capture. Excellent job telling a story & a technically solid picture.

txbandit - I like the color, the composition, and the subject. It's got texture and will probably draw emotion from most anyone. I almost didn't realize the pencil point was through the paper, so I'd have liked to see a little more rippage around there. At first glance it was just a blunt end laying on the page. I suppose it wasn't by chance that the pencil was made by "integrity" huh? :lol2:

Thanks all for the comments and kudos...

This was a fun project that almost got out of control. Finding that pencil was the real spark - I just grabbed a couple out of some old office supplies and got lucky. Ideas for the broken pencil went from plain (just laying there) to the absurd (poking thru the back of a hand complete with food coloring) and I agree "more rippage" would have helped.

What started out as a 1040 form and a manila folder morphed into form after form - changing them to keep colors similar. Keeping all the lines askew and balancing all the objects composition-wise proved the hardest part. Lighting was provided by 2 off-camera flashes bounced off the ceiling. Very easy to do with a pc cord and a slave flash (thanks, dutch)

Exposures were all trial and error on manual since the flash units were not TTL. I ended up shooting nearly 80 frames in portrait and landscape - this one was by far the best for what i wanted to accomplish. No cropping was needed and only slight brightness/contrast tweaks were done.

A great way to spend a chilly evening - indoors and warm. :thumb:

Very cool, Jay. :clap:
Thanks for sharing the background info on how you shot it.

I luvs me some Grainger. I wish there were more pictures in the catalog - it would make for better "reading".

I wish I had more time to work on my picture. I got wrapped up prepping for my interview today and never could get the exposure/color right. Once again I was surprised that I could even come up with something for the topic and really impressed by all the ideas that others came up with. I learn something new with each one of these contests.

Back