• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #3 - Perspective entry here

Reaction score
Please read and adhere to the following.

Post your single entry for Photo Assignment #03 - Perspective, in this thread. The picture has to have been taken between April 7 and April 20th midnight. Also, please refrain from comment on pictures (yours and others) until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted. Pictures should stand on their own for your interpretation of "Perspective". If you wish a critique/comment, than please state so above or below your entry.

This assignment will close midnight, April 20, 2009 so have your entry in by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
514941174_MxJE5-L.jpg

Half Full or Half Empty

515469603_aC3iR-XL.jpg

Folks,

I'll post the winner tonight since I want to write a decent critique on the entries (Duke's will be a hard act to follow). I'm just swamped with work and to say I'm busier than a one-legged player in a soccer match would be an understatement.

Ok folks, I apologize for taking so long!

First of all, thanks everyone for your entries, it wasn't easy picking the winner. Secondly, I'll make my best attempt to do a detailed critique on the entries, although Duke's wont be an easy act to follow.

The winner on Assignment #3--Perspective is...

Sparkyphotog!

Despite him being slightly out of focus (probably too dark inside to adjust the aperture for the right effect), I kept picturing him eating this giant-size tortilla chip! I also thought about the inevitability of the fate of the poor chip...especially when you throw in Bryan's psycho-like stare. While all the entries were excellent, his was the one that drew more attention from me.

M38A1's entry was a close second. I liked how the perspective of the building and the angle he picked for his photo gives you the sleek lines of the modern building, while reflecting different older buildings on each wall, giving the juxtaposition of old-vs-new. If Scott had been able to jump really really high, or shoot from a higher floor in one of the opposing buildings, getting rid of the bottom portion showing the white ceiling in the bulding entrance I would probably have picked his.

Poser's entry--another twist on "perspective", with the glass half-full or half empty approach...you see the half glass after a good day's work, and in the background, the bike project (half done of half undone, I'll let Jason decide) and the prospect of happy days on the trails.

Tracker--I liked the composition, but i felt like there was something missing (although honestly, I'm not sure I would have taken the same photo any different), at least compared to the other entries.

BexarWolf--I liked the shot (and the car!) but failed to see the 'perspective' part of it...(dunno, maybe because I don't know much about classic cars? :doh:)

Voni--great shot, but that would have been an AWESOME shot if the camera had been at a wee bit higher angle...there's too much of the chipseal on the foreground distracting from the road, the hills and the passing rider. But I'm sure it was no easy feat taking the shot as it is!

Ed, nice picture, I liked the vines wrapping around the rail.

Tourmeister-nice approach of showing things from an ant's perspective. I wonder if cropping out the background, and just showing the ant crawling over the petals would have been more dramatic?

Duke--red or white? :sun: I liked the composition and the exposure.

Congrats Sparky!!

Tourmeister-nice approach of showing things from an ant's perspective. I wonder if cropping out the background, and just showing the ant crawling over the petals would have been more dramatic?

I was thinking the same thing but was wanting to make sure that the background was still recognizable as a flower.

I totally missed the half empty/full beer thing :doh: :lol2:

Way to go Brian.

A little background on the girder in my shot. It is the center beam from what used to be a wagon bridge over Lost Creek in Jacksboro. The old suspension bridge had cables and beams at the perimeter as well as the center. It was just wide enough for two late 1800s freight wagons to cross. The side beam are long gone, as is the road, and for that matter the creek has cut a new channel and no longer flows between the piers.

Funny how something as 'permanent' as bridges, roads, and creeks can move along and leave crumbling remains. The girder is about eight feet off the ground and the vines crawl all the way to it. I earned the nickname 'monkey man without a plan' on that shot. Climbing up the stone face of the pier was easy enough. Getting down off the eight foot high platform without a ladder was a puzzle for a while. TexasShadow has shots of me up there, not sure where or if she will post them anywhere.

Last edited:
.....BexarWolf--I liked the shot (and the car!) but failed to see the 'perspective' part of it...(dunno, maybe because I don't know much about classic cars? :doh:).....

That makes us even because I couldn't find any perspectives to photograph. :lol2:

I guess you could say the pic was from the perspective of a Hill Country white tail back in 1955 just before........*thump*. :rofl:

Congrats, Sparky!

I was thinking the same thing but was wanting to make sure that the background was still recognizable as a flower.

I totally missed the half empty/full beer thing :doh: :lol2:

I did put a title to the post :mrgreen:

Thanks, y'all! :mrgreen: This was unexpected to say the least. I was at lunch at Gringo's and had my camera in my pocket. I had been thinking about this assignment, looked at the bowl of chips and thought, "Hmmm, I wonder what the chip's perspective is of lunch at Gringo's?" So, am I understanding that I get to pick the next assignment?

Thanks, y'all! :mrgreen: This was unexpected to say the least. I was at lunch at Gringo's and had my camera in my pocket. I had been thinking about this assignment, looked at the bowl of chips and thought, "Hmmm, I wonder what the chip's perspective is of lunch at Gringo's?" So, am I understanding that I get to pick the next assignment?

Sigh...... I miss my Thursday night Gringos fix. And yes, the ball is in your court for the next assignment. :clap:

Back