• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Please" learn from the mistakes of others

:tab Just a thought, but perhaps you might point Jim's wife to this thread. Often it makes the family feel better to know there is a community of friends standing with them at times like this. It might also help her understand his passion for riding if she doesn't "get it". She's in a tough spot. Seeing your loved ones in the hospital makes it hard to keep a positive outlook for a good future. The uncertainty can really get to you. I recall all those feelings being VERY intense when my Dad was in the hospital and in critical condition for a few days after an accident. Since he and I work together I was a little freaked about the possibility of losing him AND potentially having my job in jeopardy! It all worked out though.

So the sinus related surgeries went well? Good to hear he's home. That is a huge step to getting back to some kind of "normal" life :thumb:

Tourmeister said:
:tab Just a thought, but perhaps you might point Jim's wife to this thread.
Awesome news! I'm glad he's home, that's the best place to recover. Hospital rooms don't really make for a comfortable environment to heal in. I second Scott's thought above, and since you said that Jim is back online I think he would benefit from joining TWT. I don't think he'd find a more caring, supportive group of people anywhere (as long as he's not trying to cut BBQ or pie out of his diet - this is the wrong place to look for that kind of support :eat: :rofl: ).

Tourmeister said:
It might also help her understand his passion for riding if she doesn't "get it". She's in a tough spot. Seeing your loved ones in the hospital makes it hard to keep a positive outlook for a good future.

Excellent point. I was showing my wife the route I took yesterday (she didn't know where San Saba was) and she said I shouldn't be riding that far by myself. The rider has no clue how the non-rider thinks, and vice-versa. So each needs help understanding the other side.

Your point about seeing a loved one injured was emphasized on The Evel Knievel Story (History Channel). It was interesting seeing Evel watching his son Robbie doing stunts. It is easier to take the risk, than to watch someone you care for take the same risk.

whoa said:
The rider has no clue how the non-rider thinks, and vice-versa.

I recently had a minor accident. I say minor because the bike is not totaled and I went home feeling ok after one night of observation at a local hospital.

Final Tally about 3k damage to the bike one sprained wrist, one broken rib and a little road rash to me and one deeply gouged helmet.

My only questions were, when will I be able to ride and when will the bike be ready to ride.

Since this is my second motorcycle accident, every person I know who does not ride either assumes that I will no longer ride motorcycles, wants to know why I would even consider riding motorcycles again or accuses me of having a suicidal death wish with no regard for my life or safety.

I try to explain to them, You make a mistake, you learn from your mistake, you get on with your life and getting on with your life does not necessarily mean changing your life style or giving up your hobbies.

They just look at me and shake their head in disbelief.

Such is life.

-

bushwhacker said:
I recently had a minor accident...

I try to explain to them, You make a mistake, you learn from your mistake, you get on with your life and getting on with your life does not necessarily mean changing your life style or giving up your hobbies.

They just look at me and shake their head in disbelief.

Such is life.

-
Well said. I gave up trying to justify motorcycle riding to my family. Didn't tell them about totalling my Sprint a couple of months ago because I figured it was better to spare them the alarm, as well as not having to listen to their I-told-you-so's. Fortunately, my injuries were mild enough that I could conceal the evidence. ;-)

I'm glad to hear he's on the road to recovery. I don't mean to seem morbid, but did Jim ever mention what happened?

-TS

Hacksaw said:
I'll never own a flip face helmet, if you do or are considering it, please do some research. He suffered what seemed to be significant head trauma. If you do some research you will find that under certain conditions ones orbital socket gets shattered in these types of helmets. After seeing it first hand, I'm a true believer.

As a recent buyer of a flip up design, your statement was of extreme interest to me. I did a quick google and the top two returns were from bike forums with threads consisting of "I heard" or "I'm not an expert but" comments from members; both of which were started by you.

I didn't find anything medical or scientific about this phenomenon; even the snell links. If you know of some please let me know.

Many years ago, I personally saw a rider sustain the same type of injury yet he didn't have a flip-up. They hadn't even been designed yet. You can sustain this injury in a **** good fist fight along with the nose and jaw.:pound:

If he hit a metal pole head on at high speed as you suspect, the helmet did it's job (saved his life and/or prevented brain damage). A picture of the helmet would be great. From your description, it sounds like it was an extemely violent impact. That's a great idea about sending it to the hospital if the EMS crew doesn't take it.

And as everyone else has said, don't beat yourself up over the ride leader thing. It was his fault.

Doug

Jim's doing great. He's looking into getting his bike fixed. I e-mailed him links to all of the boards that I posted the accident to. He really enjoyed reading them.

So, it has been over a month since the last update. How's he doing now?

Funny you should ask. I just had contact with Jim yesterday. He's doing great, He's back at work and been off of crutches 2 weeks. He walks kind of funny because he's not able to put a lot weight on his leg yet. He is doing very well. Thanks for asking.

That's great! I had no idea he was already up and walking around! I am sure both he and his wife are quite relieved! Will he have any permanent damage or a full recovery?

Hacksaw said:
Looks like a full recovery.:clap:

Is Jim a member? Is it a full recovery? Meaning he will ride again?

I hope if he does, he will get some more training. If for no other reason than to help him with his confidence.

mrr1150gs said:
Is Jim a member? Is it a full recovery? Meaning he will ride again?

I hope if he does, he will get some more training. If for no other reason than to help him with his confidence.

Yes :sun:

Back