• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Not sure I could do that one! lol
No Bluffing, now….@woodsguy

IMG_2355.jpeg

Now the story! lol:
Rode a 180 miles after this mornings rain. Rode anything that wasn't barricaded. Glenn St John joined me at lunch. I then tried to lose my bike to flood waters. Dirt road was marked as open, took their word, wrong. We'd just went through about 75 foot section of semi deep water, no current, no problem. This next section, probably 100 yards or more made me take a deep breath but dove in like a dummy. In no time I realized it was a bad idea. Got 2 foot deep I'm guessing, but the current was about to take me off road. Poor bike was struggling to push through the water. Then on top of bridge, more of the same. No idea what was ahead and knowing Glenn didn't want this I had to do it again. Wow, never again.

30FB1290-BF6A-45FC-96B4-3F81663997D3_4_5005_c.jpeg

330AF529-02BA-4CC8-8658-61FB65903A7F.jpeg

83F8B733-D000-40C2-A542-6E5032C172EC.jpeg

41D1DBCA-7EF3-44FB-856F-D81690905C1E.jpeg

FE3B91D0-4C3D-4F51-A282-83D7157F0AB5.jpeg

Got out for an evening ride Monday. After getting 20+” of rain the previous seven days, I was curious what I might encounter… It wasn’t pretty!

This is FM 1374 just a bit South of the turn off for Stubblefield Lake Rd.
IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

No idea what the story is or if they survived... I've been told there were a few deaths North of Huntsville on a similar washout on FM 2989.
IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0508.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg

This is on the West side of the new concrete bridge at Stubblefield Lake. The new bridge replaced one that was wiped on during Hurricane Harvey. The new one held up well, but the road on the far side did not.
IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

FR 209 between FM 1791 just past the Ferris Cemetery (also called Deer Camp Road) and Taliaferro Rd. FS told a local, 6 months at the earliest to repair. Those pipes down there were around 6 ft diameter I think.
IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

The other side of the wash out on FR 209 near Taliferro Rd. There is a little concrete bridge just around the corner past that skid steer. It was fine. The FS has been laying down this LARGE aggregate in the bad spots. It's fun.
IMG_0517.jpeg

CR 223 South of Hwy 30 and East of Shiro, just past the intersection with CR 232. A LOT of the roads in the area look like they had recent work done on them, probably after the HEAVY rains Sunday a week ago, just in time for the rains a few days later to wash all the new stuff away! Many of the roads had the edges worn away from the rushing waters.
IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0519.jpeg

IMG_0520.jpeg

CR 404 off of FM 3090 North of Navasota
IMG_0521.jpeg

Looking South on CR $03 into the Navasota River bottoms... About a mile or so to the other side and VERY deep. This would not be one to attempt!
IMG_0522.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a member of the Ross Creek Trail Riders that resides on the Texana Ranch where we have the Concho Enduro. Been a member there since 1979. Oddly I'd never ridden outside the property even though there are awesome looking dirt road routes with lots of hills and features that look a lot like the Texas Hill Country.

Well this Thursday and Friday I spent a lot of miles doing just that. Neat dirt roads, pretty country, and lots of wild flowers...that I didn't take pictures of. However, this well known local feature caught my eye, and I couldn't resist. Guess the official USGS topo map name of this hill...or peak. :lol2:

IMG_20240509_111443757.jpg

My sidekick home from College so she and I ran up to Mena to ride around for a couple days this week.
We had a great time as always and really like the area.
Had one small interruption first day with a flat, but we where well prepared and back on-the road in mere minutes.
OK, She says it was an hour but after adjusting for middle age Dad time curves it was NASCAR fast.

That's a Diamond Back Truck cover for anybody wondering and Yes I had to do a garment change the first time I loaded it.

Mena 1.jpg

Mena 2.jpg

Mena 3.jpg

never seen one. wow. seems like a lot of potential to go wrong and very bad. I'd want a "pre-flight" checklist with triple checks.
Is unloading going forward or a reverse of the process - backing down backwards?

never seen one. wow. seems like a lot of potential to go wrong and very bad. I'd want a "pre-flight" checklist with triple checks.
Is unloading going forward or a reverse of the process - backing down backwards?

Oh Man....I just get the mental image of a upside down pill bug with that....pucker factor 200++...!!!

1715963238265.png

You got it - just back right off. As far as the loading process, it is the easy part.
The Magic is in the ramps - DB did a good job making them very strong and stable - They "lock" in to the truck top and have 3' angle iron high sides.
Just like loading a trailer, smooth constant forward motion the key. It is surprising easy once you get the hang of it but certainly important to know and be comfortable with your machine. More challenging than the loading - Climbing up and down safely and the dealing with the 12' folding aluminum ramps expends the most energy.
I estimate I have loaded at least 100 times with only one incident - My 4 wheeler is a 2up model that is 6" longer and I have a grill guard on it as well. The length maxes out
the available space. As part of my "pre-flight" checklist - I must fold over the front winch line hook to the side or I run out of room between the front of rig and the back window...Ask me how I know :shock:

Last edited:
I took a new rider and a couple of more experienced cruiser riders from church out Saturday morning. We probably looked like an odd bunch as we set out from the 7-11 in Glen Rose with my FJR in the lead and a Harley Triglide riding sweep to seek out some of the twistiest roads Somerville County has to offer last Saturday. Since the primary purpose of the ride was to build the confidence and experience of our new rider friend I figured having the big (visible) Tricycle in the rear might be a good idea for more than one reason. I wasn't sure how fast we'd be able to go or how much of the 130 mile route I'd drawn up would get ridden.

The ride was a total success. By the end of the day the tires on the new guys Fat Boy weren't squared off anymore and he was starting to look a lot more comfortable. It was really rewarding to see a new rider grow and learn. I talked to him Sunday and he was still ecstatic about it and shocked by how slick the crossing at Oden Chapel was. The two more experienced riders had a great time despite the slow pace (even for cruisers).

We ended up going to Loco Coyote and the food was pretty good again under this new owner. They're making their own beer battered onion rings again and I almost made myself sick. The ribs were cooked to perfection but the seasoning was different than what Hammond used. I suppose so people can season them to their taste with the sauce. Regardless, they were still good and I had a hard time finishing the plate. The beans were perfectly acceptable.

Back