• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question about Ducati

bear

Reaction score
I sure I am not posting this in the right place:-) . I have a 95 CR 900 SS, I am rebuilding the bike. Pistion kit, powdercoating the frame, etc. I want to put a newer sport bike front end on like a R1 or similar. My question is...
Can I use an SP aluminum swing arm with a 6.0 tire? or do I have to stick to a 5.5? When I get the new front end I would like to get the the controls, brakes, rotors and wheel and then a rear wheel to match.

Thanks
Bear:shock:

I don't have an answer for you, but you might try calling Kevin Stasny at KS Cycleworks in Katy. He should be able to tell you if that will work. His number is 281-391-4131. Kevin has helped people build a few modified Ducs over the years.

Personally, I think the 5.5"/170 combo is ideal for the 900. It's lighter than the 180, makes turn-in a little easier, and provides more than enough traction for the kind of power the motor develops. But those fat tires do look cool, don't they? ;-)

Thanks for the number I will give him a call. I would prefer a 5.5 but if I go with a newer sportbike front end I would like to get the wheel too and would want the back to match and big wheel does look cool.8-)

Mr. Bear,

A 6" wheel may look cool but will not necessarily give you any improved handling. I also do not think you will have enough room in the swingarm to accomodate that size tire. The original specified size is plenty adequate for soiling ones tighty whities. Just a thought.

Well, all of them pretty much use 3.5 front, so matching the new rear to a new front has nothing to do with anything.
plus, as others have offered, the 6.0 is for looks on that bike, barring maybe a full-out superbike effort. No need, power wise, and it certainly hurts steering and turn-in.
5.5/180 is already about the max. The 5.5 with 170 actually handles better than with the 180. A 6.0/190 is just too much for that bike.

If you try, check brake stay clearance too.

RogerAtx said:
Well, all of them pretty much use 3.5 front, so matching the new rear to a new front has nothing to do with anything.
plus, as others have offered, the 6.0 is for looks on that bike, barring maybe a full-out superbike effort. No need, power wise, and it certainly hurts steering and turn-in.
5.5/180 is already about the max. The 5.5 with 170 actually handles better than with the 180. A 6.0/190 is just too much for that bike.

If you try, check brake stay clearance too.

I do want a 5.5, but I want to get the new front end off a new GXSR or R1 or Ninja. I would like to get the Front wheel so everything matches up. My problem is I don't know of any of the new Jap sportbikes running a 5.5 rear. I would like the wheels to match VISUALLY HAVE THE SAME SPOKE PATTERN. If I stick to my old rims would I just have to change rotors to make the calipers line up? I guess I didn't explain this well:suicide:

Lot's of sport bikes use a 5.5 wheel. Go to dunlops m/c tire website and use their resource page. It lists all stock wheel/tire sizes.

FotoMoto said:
Lot's of sport bikes use a 5.5 wheel. Go to dunlops m/c tire website and use their resource page. It lists all stock wheel/tire sizes.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I had a line on an R1 Front end and that is where this all came from.

FYI, I'm running a cbr900rr 5.5 rim on my superhawk (see avitar). Another benefit of a 180 is they are a mcuh more common size should you need one in an emergency and are cheaper too.

Keep digging.

I'm pretty sure some of the rears are still 5.5.
Have you checked all 4 japanese 600 manufs, and each of their models?

RogerAtx said:
Keep digging.

I'm pretty sure some of the rears are still 5.5.
Have you checked all 4 japanese 600 manufs, and each of their models?

After FOTOMOTO suggested the Dunlop website I found that I need to look at the 600's and it would work out just fine. I was just looking at bikes with the wrong displacement. Thanks for the help now I can focus my search. I am really looking forward to the new front end with adjustable forks. It will make all the difference in the world on the CR.

:trust: Well I got an R1 front end for my CR, I am really looking forward to setting it up. I am still looking for a 5.5 rear and a swingarm that will work. It is hard to find the SS swingarm at a reasonable price( I am cheap) an a rim. I have a 6.0 to trade if someone has a black 5.5 that would match my front R1 rim.

Generally bike manufacturers buy the wheels from a third party. That means that the wheel from a yamaha sport bike is probably the same pattern as the wheel from a yamaha sport tourer. This gives you a wide range of size choices.*

* Note, I have not researched yamaha wheels at all! However I do know that within the same year model, suzuki gsxr wheels are the same as katana's and bandits for all displacements, too. This gives you plenty of choice.

HTH,
-=Tim=-

I have looked at Speedzilla off and on. But have not found what I was looking for, a lot of people on that website recommended going with a monster Front end. But I got the R1 for free, so I need to go in that direction. Thanks for the other website it is new to me and I put it under my favorites to check out later. I have looked at wounded duc, but I seem to remember that the SP swingarms could crack sometimes, I forgot what year. So I need to make sure it is not one of those years. I check ebay too, but I haven't found anything.

Back