• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Re-attaching grips... what to use?

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
I recently got an atlas throttle lock, and found while trying to install it that the previous owner that put the grips on left too big a space between the throttle assembley and the grip.
It had a cheap throttle lock that needed a lot of space.
The Atlas will not work because it twists with all the space in there.
2019-05-06 14.17.40.jpg

So I go to figure out how it is held on there, and seems it is glued, so I take a rubber hammer and whack on it, and it slides closer to the control:
2019-05-06 14.17.49.jpg

Well, the reason it moved is it broke the glue's hold, so now the handle is loose and comes off:
2019-05-06 14.17.56.jpg

2019-05-06 14.18.00.jpg

So I have read several posts as to what to use, from hairspray, paint, rubber cement, gorilla glue, shoo goo, super glu and specific grip glue.
I kind of think that superglue was what was used before, but no idea for sure.

I was planning on cleaning the throttle tube off with somethhing gentle so it does not destroy the plastic tube (fine sandpaper, alcohol,vgoobegone?) and clean out the rubber inside of the handle, and then try some slow drying superglue? I want something that I can get off later if needed since these are metal I can;t just cut through them with a razor.

I recently got an atlas throttle lock, and found while trying to install it that the previous owner that put the grips on left too big a space between the throttle assembley and the grip.
It had a cheap throttle lock that needed a lot of space.
The Atlas will not work because it twists with all the space in there.
View attachment 233677

So I go to figure out how it is held on there, and seems it is glued, so I take a rubber hammer and whack on it, and it slides closer to the control:
View attachment 233678

Well, the reason it moved is it broke the glue's hold, so now the handle is loose and comes off:
View attachment 233679

View attachment 233680

So I have read several posts as to what to use, from hairspray, paint, rubber cement, gorilla glue, shoo goo, super glu and specific grip glue.
I kind of think that superglue was what was used before, but no idea for sure.

I was planning on cleaning the throttle tube off with somethhing gentle so it does not destroy the plastic tube (fine sandpaper, alcohol,vgoobegone?) and clean out the rubber inside of the handle, and then try some slow drying superglue? I want something that I can get off later if needed since these are metal I can;t just cut through them with a razor.
Here's a video from revzilla that shows grip install (soft grips & hard grips - this guy uses rubbing alcohol as a lube to get the grips on.

Aqua-net hair spray has worked well for me over the years :trust: Just spray it in the tube, slip it over the bars while it is wet, let it sit over night. Or, you can go buy a tube of grip glue.

Aqua-net hair spray has worked well for me over the years :trust: Just spray it in the tube, slip it over the bars while it is wet, let it sit over night. Or, you can go buy a tube of grip glue.
Grip glue ideal, you could try hair gel as well.

When I was 14 years old, there was an old man in my neighborhood who rebuilt bicycles in his retirement. Those old guys know their stuff and he showed me the hairspray technique. I've been using it myself on bicycles and motorcycles for years. He's long gone from this earth but that bit of knowledge lives on.

What Jason said. I don't know the hairspray trick, but I'd definitely go to a bicycle shop & ask their advice.

The only caveat to the hair spray thing is I'd think your grip and tube would have to be pretty smooth and clean. Works very well with new grips on clean tubes. It's not going to be very thick like grip glue and other products, so it won't fill in very well, but with clean surfaces it helps the grip to slide on and then once dry, it sticks just like glue.

Yup on the hair spray. 👍

I installed some Grip Puppies a few months ago with the liquid dish soap in water method but found that I had to add considerable profanity to the process to get it done. Next time, I'm hitting the hairspray method.

Are you going to replace the grips while you are at it?

I am re-using the grips. I used hairspray this afternoon, will be a few days till I get to try it out with the rain we are having now.

Worst case I will need to get some new grips, and they usually come with adhesive, right?

Most don’t come with adhesive. I recently discovered this gorilla grip clear. https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-clear-grip/
I buy the minis at Walmart. I have not used on grips , but it should work good from the things I have used it on. E6000 is another product similar, it even says on the gorilla packaging “use like e6000”. If you know a female that is into “crafting “ she likely has a tube of E6000 you could leverage.

The lacquer hairspray trick works best when the surfaces are 'like new' clean and have high surface contact. The medium doesn't have alot of adhesive strength so good surface contact is required. Purpose made adhesives will be more forgiving.

The lacquer hairspray trick works best when the surfaces are 'like new' clean and have high surface contact. The medium doesn't have alot of adhesive strength so good surface contact is required. Purpose made adhesives will be more forgiving.
Yup, found this out this morning, I went and did a gentle test twist, and it spun after very little pressure applied.
I will be using some Shoe Goo that I found that the wife has tonight.

Yup, found this out this morning, I went and did a gentle test twist, and it spun after very little pressure applied.
I will be using some Shoe Goo that I found that the wife has tonight.

Ahem...

The only caveat to the hair spray thing is I'd think your grip and tube would have to be pretty smooth and clean. Works very well with new grips on clean tubes. It's not going to be very thick like grip glue and other products, so it won't fill in very well, but with clean surfaces it helps the grip to slide on and then once dry, it sticks just like glue.

:D

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Had to give it a try.

Put the shoe goo on last night, not touching it till at least tonight, if not later (not like I am riding in the rain storms that are coming).

I know with the shoe goo I will probably have to replace the throttle tube along with the grip since this stuff is strong from my experience with it.

Back