• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Removing battery from circuit. (Kickstart only)

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
So I have an 81 Honda passport scooter we use around the property. It is set up with a kick start and electric start. I would like to remove the battery out of the circuit to avoid maintenance as the kickstart is my preferred method. Any suggestions on how to do this? I don't want to remove anything off the bike except for the battery. I just want to rewire it for the Kickstarter.
IMG_20210907_092917420.jpg

This older bike has a set of points & magneto in it. It has to have a battery to fire the engine.

Does it have an ECM? I had an ‘83 XT125 dual sport, only two years newer than yours. Kick start only but with a battery. I was just a teenager at the time and removed the battery after it went dead without knowing what would happen. Well, I fried the ECM probably due to a surge that a dead battery would have absorbed. Cost $80 in 1987 dollars for a new ECM.

Get a big car stereo capacitor and put it in place of the battery. It'll run that way, but it may be hard to start if it's sat long enough to discharge.

Capacitor likely won't ever go bad, and won't leak, etc.

I just had a capacitor on my SR500 that went between the battery terminals , I think. Forgot the mfd number of capacitor but worked ok. It had a magnito and electronic ignition.
I would just get a cheaper WM battery and kick start it. Speaking of batteries they have nearly doubled in price.

Back